Soldering a Single Humbucker to a three way switch

• Thread starter Domselis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Domselis

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to ask of someone has a diagram of how to solder a single humbucker to a single volume and a three way switch? I'm looking for a way to make the first position a full humbucking mode, middle for an inner coil and the third position for the outer coil. Is it possible? I'm working with a Seymour Duncan Nazgul and a Gibson style three way. Cheers! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
With a Gibson style you can have "inner-parallel-outer" (parallel in middle position). You will need a multi-pole switch... or a Strat/Tele/RG (you got it) style blade switch.

I think there are some "multi pole" toggle switch styles out there (with the toggle like the one of Gibson but with different "mechanics" in the part that's inside the guitar) but are hard as fvck to find... On the other hand you can buy an ON-ON-ON toggle switch in an electronics store but as those are not "for guitar" you will have (probably) to adapt your guitar... maybe the shaft is shorter, or the diameter of the shaft smaller and will need to use washers...

An ON-ON-ON switch like that with multiple poles can be wired properly...

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
As has been said, I don't think you can't do it with a Gibson style toggle switch. An on-off-on switch would be easiest. Connect the black wire to the volume pot. Green and bare to ground. Connect the red and white wires together and then to either lug in the middle of the switch. The connect the lug above to the volume pot's input and the lug below to ground. When the red/white connection isn't touching anything, the Nazgul is full power. When it's grounded you get the inner coil. When it's shorted you get the outer.

You can accomplish the same thing with an on-on-on switch, but it's harder to describe in words.

On-off-on mini toggle:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...N-Mini-Toggle-Switch-w-Bat-Handle-Chrome.html

On-on-on mini:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...N-Mini-Toggle-Switch-w-Bat-Handle-Chrome.html

On-on-on full-sized toggle:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWT36-17/3-Way-4-Pole-Guitar-Toggle-Switch-Chrome.html

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Just FYI, I've wired a pickup pretty much exactly as you describe, and there's no real difference between either split mode. You may as well just forget the 3-way and get a single push-pull pot.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
^ in some ways it'll depend on the pickup. I don't know if the Nazgul is built with symmetrically wound coils. I suspect that it is, in which case there won't be a huge difference.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Very true! If this was a P-rail or something, then yeah, I'd say it's worth doing. However, I'm willing to bet there's little to no difference between the Nazgul's coils.