Solid Rosewood Neck Strength

• Thread starter RickyCigs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with solid rosewood necks and if so, how is their strength? I'm considering using all rosewood for my next build but I'm not sure if it can handle the thinness that a maple neck can.

Any advice is appreciated. I've tried searching but can't find anything about rosewood besides fretboards....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khoi

Reaction score
I had a rosewood neck on my JP6 and it was perfectly stable. One of my favorite neck woods. You should have no problems in terms of their strength.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Rosewood is a common neck wood used by Tom Anderson, and in my experience he will answer your questions directly if you send him an email. As playable as his guitars are, he would likely be able to tell you everything you want to know about it.

tom.aguitars@gmail.com

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
I think I've adjusted my Ormsby multiscale's neck once in the 18 months I've owned it.
Bloody awesome Indian rosewood neck.
DSC09824.jpg

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent news! Indian rosewood is just such a superbly nice wood. I had considered wenge, but I don't care for how porous it is. A simple satin Tru-oil finish on a rosewood neck will feel great. I'll also be doing a rosewood fretboard so it'll be little weird at first to have the entire neck as one solid color lol

My wife seems to like the idea of "his & hers" guitars, so I need mine to be at least slightly different lol

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You don't even need Tru-Oil on a rosewood neck. Just keep it clean and give it an occasional wipe with lemon oil. No finish needed.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
The solid brazilian rosewood neck on my custom is rock solid. Hasn't moved since I got it.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Also: best feel of any neck ever. Looks great too.

I won't get into the whole tonewood debate but I feel like it SINGS.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
You don't even need Tru-Oil on a rosewood neck. Just keep it clean and give it an occasional wipe with lemon oil. No finish needed.

From anyone else I would have doubted that, but I definitely trust your judgment! That will save me a ton of time. How fine do you think I should sand it? Would 600 grit do, or should I do a bit of 1000 and 1500?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Totally up to you. I think anything beyond 400-600 really isn't necessary on wood. At that point, you're more polishing it than sanding it. I'd say sand to 400 and then give it a good rub with some steel wool and call it a day.

Youne

Reaction score
600 grit is enough! You will see no big difference above 600 grit (or 800 grit if you want). This wood is porus and the grain is less straight than ebony. If you had some Tru Oil or lemon oil you'll have a very good feeling, very smooth !!

dudeskin

Reaction score
im going for the same thing dude, my Boden is all rosewood neck and rosewood fretboard too. looks like one piece and its so nice to play.

')