Solid state head for brutal death metal

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxident213

Reaction score
Taken from an October 1996 Guitar School interview with Jack Owen & Rob Barrett of Cannibal Corpse (Vile-era) :

GS: What kind of gear are you using these days?

JO: I play a Brian Moore Custom straight into a Crate GX130C. It's the best head Crate ever made, and they don't make them anymore. You plug straight in and it rips.

RB: I use a Crate GT200 Quadradrive, a Boss Metal Zone pedal and EMG 81's in the neck position of my guitars. I have an ESP Strat Custom and a Gibson Les Paul.

I'm pretty sure they used the same amps for "The Bleeding" album as well. They can be seen in the "Staring Through The Eyes Of The Dead" video.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
I have a Vadar 2X12 right now and I like that cab alot. Think it has Eminence Legends in it if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]

Custom tuned legends only available in vader cabs. :hbang:

Scarpie

Reaction score
Pierced from within=VH140C (suffocation)

as per the riff master doug cerrito himself this is innaccurate. they recorded despise the sun with vh 140 - c's but pierced was recorded with a marshall boosted by a discontinued korg distorion processor.

anthoKnee

Reaction score
From what I've read, and seen of various YouTube videos,
I think that The Ampeg VH140c, the Crate GX130, and the ShockWave, and TidelWave amps---are all Great for that Brutal Death Metal tone.

I think the Ampeg most probably does that specific tone The Best!
I think that the GX130 does the tone too, but needs an EQ and only the best cabs to get there.
The ShockWave and TidelWave though---have the added advantage of being able to Crank it up to much greater volumes--before one hears any sort of muddy-ness.

The Ampeg would seem to be the one to get if one has the bucks, and can find one.
But if I had the ShockWave or the TidelWave---I doubt I would be lusting after the other two, if those much louder amps, can indeed get pretty much the same tone as the Ampeg or the GX130.

All of them do seem to be of the same species!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
There IS a Crate GC130X or whatever one that was mentioned in here for sale, just an FYI

Edit : fuck Rotatous beat me to it - but I guess it makes sense since it's his amp

Joseph Goodman

Reaction score
I wonder what it would sound like if you ran one of those Ampeg/Crate stereo amps in to a tube poweramp like a Fryette 2/90? The best of both worlds?

anthoKnee

Reaction score
"I wonder what it would sound like if you ran one of those Ampeg/Crate stereo amps in to a tube poweramp like a Fryette 2/90? The best of both worlds?"

Hello Joseph Goodman!

I've read here and there about people running one amp into another, yet have never encountered such a situation---and am wondering:
How the hell do they do it? I guess from the input of one, into the "Auxiliary input" of the other?
I would be hesitant to do this---and possibly fry an amp; but if it could be done safely---than perhaps you are right!
Does any one know more about running one amp into another?
People have ruined amps not quite knowing what they were doing.....

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
You'd have to use the FX send from the Ampeg/Crate. I can't remember if my old VH-150 had a serial or parallel loop, but if it's parallel, you'd have to have the mix turned all the way up.

groph

Reaction score
I've got a Crate gx130c for sale in the spam section: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...96768-crate-gx-130c-head-great-condition.html

One of you guys might want to check it out...

AAGH that's so tempting. If I had my own place (no parents to bitch at me for buying another amp, "BUT U ALREDY HAEV AN AMP WAT DOES DIS 1 DO DAT UR OTHER 1 DUSNT LOL?" I'd be all the fuck over this. I'd have the money for it soon, too.

This is the amp used on The Bleeding, correct?

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
AAGH that's so tempting. If I had my own place (no parents to bitch at me for buying another amp, "BUT U ALREDY HAEV AN AMP WAT DOES DIS 1 DO DAT UR OTHER 1 DUSNT LOL?" I'd be all the fuck over this. I'd have the money for it soon, too.

This is the amp used on The Bleeding, correct?
I was going to buy it, but I found the GT3500 close enough to go pickup for cheaper.

Yes it is.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
If you want old Cannibal Corps death metal then you want he Marshall Valvestate 8100. That is what they used.

The are bright amps, but they are super thick. And cheap.

My guitarist uses one, and I went out and bought one too. It is cheap and light and (at the very least) makes are good back up head to gig with.

Also pretty sure that's what Chuck used in Death.

anthoKnee

Reaction score
It seems to be that very amp being used in the video posted by Christpuncher66---!
You can definitely see that most revered Crate Logo!!!

"I was going to buy it, but I found the GT3500 close enough to go pickup for cheaper."

highlordmugfug,
and here I'm lusting after your GT3500!
Mine has the sound yes, but yours has THE POWER!!
I think each of us, needs to save up and have one of each!
We would all abide in The Heaven of the most sickening and deadly of distorted tones---!

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
It seems to be that very amp being used in the video posted by Christpuncher66---!
You can definitely see that most revered Crate Logo!!!

"I was going to buy it, but I found the GT3500 close enough to go pickup for cheaper."

highlordmugfug,
and here I'm lusting after your GT3500!
Mine has the sound yes, but yours has THE POWER!!
I think each of us, needs to save up and have one of each!

We would all abide in The Heaven of the most sickening and deadly of distorted tones---!
:agreed:

anthoKnee

Reaction score
Indeed Groph!

We are coinsurers and purveyors of Sickeningly Deadly Death Metal Tones!
We enjoy dishing out the most malevolent brutal riffage, the way some enjoy the tasting of rich wines.
We can revel in and appreciate both.
Pass out the vomit bags!
Ear plugs might protect their hearing---but our vibrational onslaught will turn the body of the nay-sayers,
to putrid pulp---!!!

Latest posts

')