Solid state head for brutal death metal

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
FUCK YEAH! i just won an ampeg vh-140c in really good condition on ebay. i cant fucking wait to get that shit..

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
:agreed:

J from White Zombie used one of those back in the day as well and La Sexorcisto is one of my favorite tones

If I recall correctly, La Sexorcisto was a typical tubey JCM Marshall, it was Astrocreep that was a blend of two Valvestates and a Randall RG100. :agreed:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, La Sexorcisto was a typical tubey JCM Marshall, it was Astrocreep that was a blend of two Valvestates and a Randall RG100. :agreed:

Ah, well then I guess I was wrong. Astrocreep wasn't awful but I prefer La Sexorcisto in a competition.

Either way - Marshall 8100 is an awesome head on a budget

avenger

Reaction score
I have been looking for pretty much the same thing. SS with enough to get those death metal tones. I can get a Marshall 8100 valvestate but from what I have read I think I am gonna hold out and try to find the ampeg head.

Anyone know how much they genrally run for?

EDIT: Anyone in GTA area that can point me in the right direction for finding one of these would be great! I guess I will have to hit up every guitar, music, pawn shop I can find.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
I have been looking for pretty much the same thing. SS with enough to get those death metal tones. I can get a Marshall 8100 valvestate but from what I have read I think I am gonna hold out and try to find the ampeg head.

EDIT: Anyone in GTA area that can point me in the right direction for finding one of these would be great! I guess I will have to hit up every guitar, music, pawn shop I can find.

i wouldnt pay more than $425 for a mint ampeg vh-140c. but you can generally find ones with missing knob covers and shit for 250-300. crate shockwaves go for the same price and gx-130c's are a little cheaper.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not a solid-state guy but I've heard nothing but good things about the Ampeg. I'd go for that over a Crate.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score

I hope it's ok to reference another forum, but there is a guy selling a VH-140C for 320 bucks on Ultimate-Guitar.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
$320!? ahh wtf...

eh.. with shipping included, it woulda been around what i paid i guess... but still. i wouldve easily taken that off his hands. it's the old school one too.. i looked..

inthestix

grindcore enthusiast
Reaction score
I just signed up to say 'Thanks!' for the topic and info! I've been looking for a Crate Shockwave - need a decent wattage power amp for a grind duo I'm working on. I missed a Crate on craigslist @ 2 months ago. I live near enough to the one upthread in Stevens Point, but it's a little pricey, and I happened to find this in a local shop:

ampeggyhill.jpg

I wish I would have known about these VH140C heads back when my old band was opening for Assuck and Brutal Truth. (aka shoulda been paying proper attention) Could have cut my guitar rig in half.

groph said:
...and those V series tube amps sound like flatulent insects.

The Crate V50 is great for death-doom or stoner rock tho - more a flatulent dinosaur-in-pain tone... The distortion channel seems to have a lot of sag, and if you distort the clean channel a lot it does the same thing. The crappy speaker only helps that death-sludge sound.

:metal:

goat violator

Procrastinator
Reaction score
I see a few of you guys are recommending the Marshall VS8100 as a good Death Metal head. I have one as my back up/practise head, but cant seem to get it into the DM territory the Ampeg owns. I push it with a MT-2 and 15 band Ibanez EQ but it never seems to get that saturated/compressed gain. And adding a BBE sonic maximiser just seems to take the edge from the tone, giving it a tinnier sound. I have swapped out the standard marshall valve for a Tung sol 12AX7 as well.
So if anyone have a hint or two, feel free to sing out.
Sorry for making my first post here, but it is a subject close to my heart! lol.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Tube Screamer (or clone) in front, level max, drive to 0, tone to taste, you're done.

inthestix

grindcore enthusiast
Reaction score
goat violator said:
I see a few of you guys are recommending the Marshall VS8100 as a good Death Metal head. I have one as my back up/practise head, but cant seem to get it into the DM territory the Ampeg owns. I push it with a MT-2 and 15 band Ibanez EQ but it never seems to get that saturated/compressed gain. And adding a BBE sonic maximiser just seems to take the edge from the tone, giving it a tinnier sound. I have swapped out the standard marshall valve for a Tung sol 12AX7 as well.
So if anyone have a hint or two, feel free to sing out.
Sorry for making my first post here, but it is a subject close to my heart! lol.

ishan said:
Tube Screamer (or clone) in front, level max, drive to 0, tone to taste, you're done.

Jacques Tube Blower. The Tube Blower has no TS mid-hump/ MT-2 mid-sweep, it has seperate treble & bass controls - when you use both they scoop w/o losing your 'Marshall mids'. The gain range goes from much cleaner than a TS up to double the gain of a TS.

inthestix

grindcore enthusiast
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass said:
Nice pickguard.
Noothgrush rules!! :hbang:

Thanks! Figured I'd sticker it up, with a bunch of stickers from my old label, when I took the guitar apart for maintenance. Upgraded the pickup to an actual Invader - added a 500k-500k concentric CTS pot for vol & tone and a .022 DiMarzio greencap. Grinds out on the Ampeg, total doom on my Crate.

Noothgrush are easily the band I wish I would have done more records with, back in the day.

')