Solid state head for brutal death metal

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
I wish I would have known about these VH140C heads back when my old band was opening for Assuck and Brutal Truth. (aka shoulda been paying proper attention) Could have cut my guitar rig in half.
:metal:

what band were you in man? you seem to be pretty involved with diy..

goat violator

Procrastinator
Reaction score
Tube Screamer (or clone) in front, level max, drive to 0, tone to taste, you're done.

Jacques Tube Blower. The Tube Blower has no TS mid-hump/ MT-2 mid-sweep, it has seperate treble & bass controls - when you use both they scoop w/o losing your 'Marshall mids'. The gain range goes from much cleaner than a TS up to double the gain of a TS.

Thanks for the info. I might lash out next payday and try a Tube Blower.
Unless a VH-140C comes my way first.

inthestix

grindcore enthusiast
Reaction score
christpuncher66 said:
what band were you in man? you seem to be pretty involved with diy..

LOL, ya, you could say that... I started out in Pachinko (noise rock band that eventually ended up on Alt. Tentacles), but was only in that band for a couple shows and the first 7" e.p. Then I started Thug (noise rock band that evolved to sludgey grind)- both based out of Madison, WI. Ran a label called Bovine Recs - lots of grind - sludge - noise - punk records. Took a long break, and am just getting everything kajiggered in place to start recording some ugly musick again. That Ampeg I traded for last week was really the last piece I needed.

Tho I really want to build a 2x12 cab for the VH140C...

goat violator said:
Unless a VH-140C comes my way first.

I would still pick up a Shockwave if I could find one for under $200 too. :nuts:

jllozano

Reaction score
I recently bought an Ibanex TBX150 head from a fellow forumite, and i am VERY pleased with the sound trough a vader cab....... try it if you can .....SUPER TIGHT sound, very flexible EQ, 150 watts into 4 ohms or 100 into 8 :metal:

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
LOL, ya, you could say that... I started out in Pachinko (noise rock band that eventually ended up on Alt. Tentacles), but was only in that band for a couple shows and the first 7" e.p. Then I started Thug (noise rock band that evolved to sludgey grind)- both based out of Madison, WI. Ran a label called Bovine Recs - lots of grind - sludge - noise - punk records. Took a long break, and am just getting everything kajiggered in place to start recording some ugly musick again. That Ampeg I traded for last week was really the last piece I needed.

oh shit nice man. you know the sfn dudes?

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score

I would still pick up a Shockwave if I could find one for under $200 too. :nuts:

I remember Madtown having a hardcore scene, when I was in college there in the 80s. I saw Die Kreutzen at the Club De Wash of all places back then. I remember the gutarist looked like some redneck who hung out in some little country bar!! He played a Kramer aluminum neck guitar through a Peavey Pacer! Now that's punk!! :yesway:

inthestix

grindcore enthusiast
Reaction score
christpuncher66 said:
you know the sfn dudes?

No, I think I moved out of Madison before they started up. But I'll be at the Oiltanker show they're playing Sun nite.
:hbang:

ellengtrgrl said:
I remember Madtown having a hardcore scene, when I was in college there in the 80s. I saw Die Kreutzen at the Club De Wash of all places back then. I remember the gutarist looked like some redneck who hung out in some little country bar!! He played a Kramer aluminum neck guitar through a Peavey Pacer! Now that's punk!!

I luved me some Die Kreuzen. Saw them all over the state back in the 80's. I even played one of those Kramer DMZ's - mostly because of Die Kreuzen. That's a freakin' heavy guitar.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
No, I think I moved out of Madison before they started up. But I'll be at the I luved me some Die Kreuzen. Saw them all over the state back in the 80's. I even played one of those Kramer DMZ's - mostly because of Die Kreuzen. That's a freakin' heavy guitar.

I can believe it!! And for me to Die Kreutzen in a little "ya der hey!, how 'bout dem Packers!" kind of bar (that normally only had blues jams), that was located in a building that also had an old speakeasy, and 2 gay bars!! The Hotel Washington of course, is gone now. It burned down some years ago.

Remember Headliners? I saw my first thrash metal show there (Metal Church, and Anthrax, in 1987). I had a chance to go see Metallica, when Cliff was still alive, in 1984, but I had an electronics lab, and thought the show was sold out (I found out otherwise! :() Such was my state capitol in the 80s.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a valvestate 8100 to mess around with... great sounding head, especially for the price i got it. anyone know of any mods for this amp or necessary upgrades I should look into?

Reaction score
line 6 sounds like shit to me for death metal and the 8100 in my opinion just doesn't totally get you there in terms of the gain/responsiveness/tightness that death metal requires (especially if it's at all technical). i use an art dst 825 which is 60 watts per side...the other guitarist in my band used an art dst 8080 in all of our newest recordings. they have all the gain you could want with a lot of room to shape the tone you can hear a clip of them together here...
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...19-putrescine-rough-new-song.html#post1836060

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, the 8100 seems like it would need a little something more to get into that territory, thats why I was asking if anyone knew of any mods or upgrades for it that could help.

i'm keeping an eye out for ampegs at the moment.:yum:

avenger

Reaction score
I just got a VH-140C and it def has enough gain in it to get good death metal. Still havent tried running it through a good EQ but I am sure that with some more fiddling I can find the perfect death metal sound.

If you find one just buy it, if you don't like it I think there is enough market for them to resell pretty easily + they are cheap!

CATBUTT

Reaction score
just singed up to say whats up to Oak. this is Matt from Deep Shit.

ive got an Ampeg SS150 and SS140C and they both rule. ive played many VH140Cs and i really cant tell the difference between the SS and VH. the SS seems easier to find and a bit cheaper. i got both of mine for around a $100 each off ebay. my only beef with the SS140C and VH140C is that its 70 watts per stereo output. to get the full 140 watts you need a stereo cab or two cabs. i havent played the crate gx130c yet but from the pics ive seen it looks like its set up the same way, 65 watts per side.

what cabs are you guys using? ive got a vader 4x12 and a 70s ampeg v4. the vader with the ampeg ss slays everything. i just keep the v4 cab around for full stacking until i get a vader 2x15. ive also got a Gibson 8x12 powered cab. its 300 watts solid state. if i want to be really fucking loud i play the SS150 through a full stack while line outing to the Gibson. 16x12"!!!

Bovine dude- fucking love your label man! itd be rad to hear some new music from you.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
yo matt! what up dude? didnt know you had a ss150 and a fuckin ss140c. woulda gladly bought one off your hands. hows that fucking vader sound man? didnt know you had one. i almost bought one, til i decided to buy some g12-t100 which i never used.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a GX130c recently... it is 65watts per side, but the thing is definitely badass with one cab and fucking furious with both. I had it hooked up to two 1960a's the other day and it was definitely full of win. I'm on the look out for a ss150 next. :yesway:

Joseph Goodman

Reaction score
Isn't the GX-130c 95 watts per side with a 4ohm load? And is it "stereo" even with the chorus off (i.e. coming out of both sides)?

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the GX-130c 95 watts per side with a 4ohm load? And is it "stereo" even with the chorus off (i.e. coming out of both sides)?

i can't be sure.. i was just going by the specs:
http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/GX130C_OM.pdf

anyways, I'm not really sure how to use the chorus. I didn't try it with the dual cab setup, but it didn't seem to work at all with just one cab, unless i'm just doing something wrong or maybe i need a footswitch? :scratch:

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Just get a v2 dude! I play the same kind of thing as you (Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Decapitated etc...) and it works a charm. Takes a bit of tinkering but you can get a really chunky tone from that amp. Make sure you have a good noisegate though- it's a squealer!

')