Solo Instrumental artists??

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I've been trying to search for this forever but can't find much; basically Solo artists who do instrumentals by themselves live, no backing tracks..

(not talking about people who make solo albums, with 5 instruments in the mix, im talking solely one instrument on stage or recorded, no vocals)

Jake Shimabukuro and Andy McKee (or whoever that acoustic tapping guy is) is about the only I know of, other than afew people who do like 2-3 songs out of their whole repertoire.. (Tosin, Tetsuo Sakurai)

Post some youtube videos!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What genre specifically? Bucky Pizzarelli did a lot of solo 7 string jazz work. There's a Mel Bay book set with 2 CDs and transcriptions of a lot of his stuff IIRC

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Any genre, but ideally (and why im researching this) is because I want to start doing some coffeehouses/solo gigs, but I dont really want to sing. so something that can hold the attention span of a public audience; not bore the fuck out of everyone

I was definitely thinking in that kinda, gypsy jazz style, but that seems best suited for 2 players or so (to have rhythm/lead seperated, and trade off melody).. but watching "Sweet and Lowdown" is pretty inspiring for ballad-type solo guitar work.

ibanez254

Central Scrutinizer
Reaction score
Joe Pass has a bunch of solo guitar stuff. Just listen to the 'Virtuoso' albums he has done for a good start. (though they can be a bit complicated)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Phil Keaggy has a lot in the same vein as McKee (except much longer ago) , as well as some other solo guitar stuff.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Kaki King does some nice solo stuff. Pretty far from Jazz, her stuff.

And of course, her biggest influence, the late, great Michael Hedges.

Joe Pass, as previously mentioned, was a god at this.

Lenny Breau is criminally underrated, and he used a seven on occasion, albeit with a higher string instead of a lower one. He's not strictly jazz, but was mainly jazz-based. He had some country influence, though, since his parents played country. I believe his seven was a nylon-string.

And if you liked the guitar in Sweet and Lowdown, you should check out Howard Alden, who played all the guitar parts on that for Sean Penn's character. Also a seven-string user, but with the normal lower string.

Skyblue

Reaction score
How about a touch-style approach? it seems to me like the best idea for a one man show thing...

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Bireli Lagrene put out a CD of a completely improvised solo set (called To bi, or Not to Bi). Really esoteric stuff though.

This is more accessible solo Bireli Lagrene improvisations:

---

Otherwise, check out Antoine Dufour's latest works:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The CandyRat roster is full of guys doing completely solo stuff.

Don Ross

Robert Taylor

Craig D'andrea

And of course, one of the originators of this style, to whom even Michael Hedges owes a great debt, Leo Kottke

Muriel Anderson

Tommy Emmanuel

Although he usually didn't perform strictly solo, Chet Atkins is still the inspiration for most of the artists mentioned in this thread

Tuck Andress

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, Tuck Andress and Tommy Emmanuel are both great. Tuck doesn't really play solo so much anymore, since he's in a project with his wife.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
+1 on the Tommy Emmanuel, Leo Kottke, Mike Hedges, and so on.

I'm a little surprised that the OP wasn't able to find any information mentioning these people exist.

I suggest looking on Google for "solo guitar cd" in order to find names. That way you'll discover those who are/were working artists, instead of just YouTube posters.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
well like I said, I was looking more for coffeehouses/events with singer-songwriters and such that appeals to the average person in a crowd, not musicians. So esoteric jazz isnt really going to work.

I mean, if you show most of these youtube videos to a non-musician, I dunno how much of a response you would get out of them, other than "im bored".. so thats why I was asking more in the sense of Jake Shimabukuro and Andy McKee, which had mainstream youtube success from non-musicians, which is a very difficult thing to do. Something that can be enjoyed by EVERYONE

We can all respect these as musicians of course, and I even listen to alot of these guys in my spare time, but we're musicians. If you give this to your sisters, or girlfriends, or most people, what would they say about these videos? Know what I mean??

(yes, I should of put that in the first post, my mistake.. but it is in the 3rd post of this thread, so if you red thru the first 3 posts, you'd see it)

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I hate to break this to you, but most coffee houses have people there as wallpaper, not as the main attraction. It's not like you're the headliner, and that all those drink concession stands outside the main stadium are just there for some. Most coffee houses are about having something going on while the patrons are enjoying their food and drink.

There's nothing wrong with doing a wallpaper gig. I've done that more than once, and if you have a steady gig (morning brunch at an upscale restaurant, say), it can be a nice spot of income you can count on.

If you're counting on it being like a concert, when it's not actually a concert, you're going in with the wrong mindset.

AlexRuger

Reaction score
Has no one said Ted Greene?!
Buy his album "Solo Guitar." Prepare for your mind to be blown.

Beyond that, there's some cool cats out there doing really interesting stuff...
Dominic Frasca is doing the modern-minimalist thing on his 10 string guitar.
Fred Firth is pretty insane.
Charlie Hunter does some amazing solo work.

Plus all the jazz and acoustic guys everyone mentioned. It's all great stuff.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I'm sure someone else mentioned somewhere that some people see coffee shop and bar solo gigs as a place to practise and be paid for it. You can try things out with little risk and see how they work.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I hate to break this to you, but most coffee houses have people there as wallpaper, not as the main attraction. It's not like you're the headliner, and that all those drink concession stands outside the main stadium are just there for some. Most coffee houses are about having something going on while the patrons are enjoying their food and drink.

There's nothing wrong with doing a wallpaper gig. I've done that more than once, and if you have a steady gig (morning brunch at an upscale restaurant, say), it can be a nice spot of income you can count on.

If you're counting on it being like a concert, when it's not actually a concert, you're going in with the wrong mindset.

Maybe so but im not going into it just for my own "practice time".. I want to entertain people. I want people to actually go "Hey wow, that was actually quite cool" and help me expand into concerts as a solo artist in the future. That is the point.

I would never be one of those guys who just takes up space on stage doing some wanky shredfest or whatever to bore the hell out of the audience just to show off.. I want to actually appeal to people. Theres too much of that wanking in the music world that I wouldnt look at even coffeehouses as "gigs just to practice on"

I also think we have a different opinion on what coffeehouses are.. Im not talking about restaurant gigs, where you are meant to be in the background.. Im talking events set up specifically to watch the music/entertainment, where they have like 10 people going up to play 1-2 songs each and its a chance to see new artists and the venue can get some profits from people buying snacks. Maybe the definition of coffeehouse is different from our locations, but where im from, its mainly to showcase new artists who want to try to get some stage time without having to have a full set prepared/booking a show, and these are generally fundraiser events set up by the musicians and shops.

These are not meant to be paying gigs.. they are meant solely to expose new artists through the performance and word of mouth IN THAT GENRE; Its networking for a different niche, one that is more available to a different variety of gigs. Im not gonna go in there and play the most complicated chord-melody solo I know, thats not whats going to be appealing in this environment. This is for your average music lovers, the ones who want to be entertained and are not musicians.

')