Soloing on a 7?

• Thread starter jori1995
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jori1995

Reaction score
I'm really having a problem choosing which guitar to buy: the schecter omen 7 extreme or the hellraiser extreme 6 string. I like 7 strings somehow, even though I don't really play metal that often, while I do listen to a lot of metal (not even 7 string bands).
now the point is: the hellraiser looks, sounds and plays better (tried them both) and is like the best guitar I've ever played.
but I do want to try a 7 string guitar, and the omen 7 extreme also looks really good but plays a bit less and sounds less.

I'm more interested in playing lead and solos and stuff and therefore I want a better guitar (I've got an ibanez rg 320 pg p1, and I think Ibanez are toys).
Now schecter is a great brand, with really good quality guitars for a relatively low price.

Now I'm really wondering which guitar to buy: looks + sound + playability vs. new playing + extra string.

now I never really play down tuned because of my tremolo and my crappy 2nd guitar, so I never really get the chance.

Please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
While soloing on a 7 is very possible, it sounds like the 6 is the guitar for you man. You can always get a quality 7 down the line if you need one, but by the sounds of things at the moment you don't need the extra string, so it wouldn't make sense to sacrifice quality for a string you're not even sure if you will use. :2c:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Definitely grab the 6, I wouldn't buy a guitar that felt terrible just because I liked a feature.. that I can find on a quality instrument.

Just out of curiosity, do your favourite guitarists play schecters?

CRaul87

Reaction score
I'm really having a problem choosing which guitar to buy: the schecter omen 7 extreme or the hellraiser extreme 6 string. I like 7 strings somehow, even though I don't really play metal that often, while I do listen to a lot of metal (not even 7 string bands).
now the point is: the hellraiser looks, sounds and plays better (tried them both) and is like the best guitar I've ever played.
but I do want to try a 7 string guitar, and the omen 7 extreme also looks really good but plays a bit less and sounds less.

I'm more interested in playing lead and solos and stuff and therefore I want a better guitar (I've got an ibanez rg 320 pg p1, and I think Ibanez are toys).
Now schecter is a great brand, with really good quality guitars for a relatively low price.

Now I'm really wondering which guitar to buy: looks + sound + playability vs. new playing + extra string.

now I never really play down tuned because of my tremolo and my crappy 2nd guitar, so I never really get the chance.

Please help!
Dude just have to say this because u said Ibanez are toys... In the past I used to hate Ibanez's guts just because it seemed like every1 and their grandma had one and I avoided them till relatively recently when I bough an Ibanez prestige model and I was fuckin' blown away by the quality and playability. So I suggest trying out a prestige model before u buy anything else, give it a try and then make your decision.
Regarding to Schecter, they make cool looking guitars but their QC is horrible and I can tell you this first hand since I bought one in the past but returned it immediately because of the many many QC slip ups it had. :2c:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy either. Sounds like you want a seven string, so I'd keep trying out guitars until you find a seven string that you like as much as the six string hellraiser (like maybe a seven string hellraiser).

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
hellraiser 7 if you're dead set on a 7 string.

But imo, the ibanez 7321 are better. I owned a white hellraiser 7 and sold it back to get an Ibanez RGD7321 :2c:

that's up to you though.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
Most Schecter 7's i've tried have had a round neck and they were more suited for rhytm playing than soloing if you ask me. Also i've heard many people complain about the quality, it is said that Schecters are a hit or miss.

You say Ibanez are toys, but they aren't. Apparently you just had some bad experiences with the low end ones. Dunno. BUT, you should definetly go and try Ibanez 7's, especially the UV or K-7 models. And why not the Prestige series 7's as well. I have an Ibby K-7 and the neck is just fantastic, i can shred on it almost as easily as with my 6-string.

So. Check them out. I hope you find what you're looking for :)

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
IMHO: Ibby's are about infinitely better than the schecters (that I've played, anyways). Even a "standard" Ibanez neck feels waay better than a schecters baseball bat style neck.

:)

Having said that, I would get the 6 string. If you put it in absolutes, I'd much rather have a quality guitar than a POS just because it has a feature that I wanted.. especially because in the POS you won't get the proper feel for what a "real" 7 string would be like anyways and may even ruin the whole thing for you.

7 strings aren't just for metal, it's just added possibilities in any style you play. You can definitely get one even if you don't just play metal man.

If you're currently guitar-less, I would get the 6 string. You'll be happier with a really playable guitar (especially since you said it sounds better too). However, if you already have a guitar and this is an "optional", maybe consider waiting a bit more and getting a better 7 string. If it's just the pickups it's not a huge deal (usually you'll end up swapping them out anyways) but if the neck doesn't feel right it's definitely more of a deal breaker.

Btw, soloing on a 7 string is just as easy as soloing on a 6 string I think. It's more of just the neck feel that you like and if it's a "fast" neck or not...

TelosHedge

Enjoys Chicken.
Reaction score
if playing more in the solo guitar realm is your true goal it won't matter what guitar you use. practice your butt off on the instruments you have and then slowly start to research what would work for you based off the things you like and don't like about the instruments you already have.

jori1995

Reaction score
Definitely grab the 6, I wouldn't buy a guitar that felt terrible just because I liked a feature.. that I can find on a quality instrument.

Just out of curiosity, do your favourite guitarists play schecters?
well, actually, no. only jeff loomis, but my heroes like mikael ackerfeldt, jimmy page and john petrucci don't really (petrucci does, but not nesceseraly)

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
I happen to be a fan of the way schecters feel and play, but yes, QC is an issue. They are hit or miss. I do not like the way Ibanez guitars feel in my hand, specifically my fretting hand, but the quality of work is better I must say. I own a Hellraiser 6 and a Damien 7 and they are both great guitars. No issues with either of them. My advice for buying a guitar (6-string or 7-string), get a guitar the feels good to play and sounds good. While looks and aesthetic appeal are great, the sound and feel of a guitar are more important. Unless you just want to hang the guitar on the wall as a decoration, then buy a pretty one.

TelosHedge

Enjoys Chicken.
Reaction score
I happen to be a fan of the way schecters feel and play, but yes, QC is an issue. They are hit or miss. I do not like the way Ibanez guitars feel in my hand, specifically my fretting hand, but the quality of work is better I must say. I own a Hellraiser 6 and a Damien 7 and they are both great guitars. No issues with either of them. My advice for buying a guitar (6-string or 7-string), get a guitar the feels good to play and sounds good. While looks and aesthetic appeal are great, the sound and feel of a guitar are more important. Unless you just want to hang the guitar on the wall as a decoration, then buy a pretty one.

i can't say much about schecters myself but i largely agree with this post. it has to feel right, but that also means you have to physically play it before you get one! i'm not sure if you're trying to buy one in a store or via mail order/ebay/forums, but if schecters have funny QC issues you'll definitely need one in your hands to know for sure if it's for you.

i can tell you from experience that certain instruments have shocked me both ways when i've held them in the store. i bought a music man silhouette because i accidentally picked it up in the store one day - i couldn't get it off my lap for an hour! on the other hand, i drove a couple hours to find a certain special strat once only to pick it up and put it right back on the rack. sometimes it's just the luck of the piece you end up with, or just the bitter truth that your eyes can definitely deceive you :)

jori1995

Reaction score
i can't say much about schecters myself but i largely agree with this post. it has to feel right, but that also means you have to physically play it before you get one! i'm not sure if you're trying to buy one in a store or via mail order/ebay/forums, but if schecters have funny QC issues you'll definitely need one in your hands to know for sure if it's for you.

i can tell you from experience that certain instruments have shocked me both ways when i've held them in the store. i bought a music man silhouette because i accidentally picked it up in the store one day - i couldn't get it off my lap for an hour! on the other hand, i drove a couple hours to find a certain special strat once only to pick it up and put it right back on the rack. sometimes it's just the luck of the piece you end up with, or just the bitter truth that your eyes can definitely deceive you :)
I'll buy it in a store, and I have tried it (not that I'm sure if I'm gonna buy that one :p)
but anyways, I was wondering wat QC actually is. people have said it a few times now and I still don't know what it means

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Play an RG7620 and see if you can't solo... And see if you still think they're toys... :shrug:

jori1995

Reaction score
Play an RG7620 and see if you can't solo... And see if you still think they're toys... :shrug:

even though that guitar may not be a toy at all, I still don't want an Ibanez because I already have one that looks better than all other Ibanez guitars (except for crazy ones). it might not play or sound better, but IMO ALL ibanez (especially RG's) look the same, no matter the specs.
Check out the Ibanez RG320 PG P1 Warning Pattern, you should love it.

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
I'll buy it in a store, and I have tried it (not that I'm sure if I'm gonna buy that one :p)
but anyways, I was wondering wat QC actually is. people have said it a few times now and I still don't know what it means

QC = Quality Control.

Example; sometimes you'll find a certain model guitar but you'll have one where the fret edges weren't polished and feel kinda rough in your hand compared to the exact same model on the wall next to it. Or maybe the guitar wasn't set up as nice and doesn't play as nice as another of the same model. That kinda thing....

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
IMHO, the Ibanez UV's smoke any other 7 string I've ever played. The early 90's Ibanez Universe is what every 7 string wants to be when it grows up.

I don't think homeboy is interested... :shrug:

@OP - Nahh... I already know which Ibanezes I like and you have a 300 series Ibanez. No offense, but it's probably a POS in comparison to what I've suggested to you, but to each his own. Maybe you should check out what LTD has to offer as well. They make some pretty cool, moderately priced 7s as well.

Also, if you dig Schecter you *may* also like Agile. They don't quite feel like a Schecter. To me they're different from both Schecter and Ibanez. The necks are kind of a middle ground between the two but different from both still, imo.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

Agreed... Plus if you're the least bit handy you can change the aesthetics yourself. It's fun. :D

jori1995

Reaction score
I went to the local guitar shop again yesterday, and I've played both the hellraiser c-1 and an omen 7. And man, I love that hellraiser. I liked the idea of having a 7 string, but my idea was that I buy a really awesome 6 string now and maybe a 7 string in a few years or so, cuz I'm only 15 now. thanks for your help people, appreciate it.

Latest posts

')