Some advice for a potential convert.

majarman

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum! :wavey:

Seriously though, I'm a potential convert. I'm tired of listening to seven string Petrucci kick my butt. I love the heavy but tight low end of a seven string and I'm unwilling to give up the high register, so... thinking of buying a seven string.

I'm different though, and a bit of an arse, so it's going to be hard, since there seems to be a ton of options I've never heard of for 7's

I like:
  • tight, aggresive, clear low end
  • passive pups
  • the neck on my two gibsons (lp and 335)
  • My Marshall DSL 100's high gain crunch
  • CLEAR low end
  • did i mention I like a clear sound?
  • oh yeah, my MID RANGE.
  • Pretty looking guitars (i.e., PRS, gibsons, flame bursts, flame maple tops, smooth curves, like a nice woman.)
I dislike:
  • Active pups
  • necks that feel like a toothpick
  • extremely heavy guitars
  • wild looking guitars (i.e., v shapes, metal looking horns, all jet black guitars)
  • trems that don't stay in tune
  • reverse headstocks.

So I'm an ignorant arse who doesn't know jack about where to look for a seven string but knows everything he wants. Who wants to help?! :hbang:

Haha, in all seriousness, I take advice well and all. Looking for some help. Thanks a ton,
Mike

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you want an EBMM. Pretty much any of the petrucci sigs will get the results you want ;)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I dislike:
  • Active pups
  • necks that feel like a toothpick
  • extremely heavy guitars
  • wild looking guitars (i.e., v shapes, metal looking horns, all jet black guitars)
  • trems that don't stay in tune
  • reverse headstocks.
:ban:

P.S. My recommendations...

1. buy an EBMM JP12
2. :)

majarman

Reaction score
those are really nice guitars, I love the pups. Only thing I dislike is the neck on them, feels foreign even in six string formation. What other companies can I look into besides ibby's and ebmm?

thanks!

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
^ How much $$$ you got? ;)

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
What do you think of the looks of Carvin? I don't know what their necks are like but maybe someone else can help out in that regard.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately nobody on here likes Carvins... :lol:

majarman

Reaction score
Since I plan on saving up for a nice one let's say $1000.

And, wow... Carvin has got some eye candy. :yesway:
Love the DC747 in that burst. That one may be right up my alley.

Just for curiosity, and since i have some time before I go looking for a guitar shop in Lexington with Carvins, what are some other options? maybe in the 650-850 range?

You guys are helping a ton.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Do a google search for "NGD Carvin sevenstring.org" (better than the actual search function) if you want to see some amazing guitars. There are a ton of Carvin users on here and there are some beautiful ones, albeit probably spec'd out closer to $2k. I'm sure if you skip out on some of the more exotic options though you could find one closer to your price range.

Other recommendation is check the for sale section on here. People are always selling them, especially Engage757 he prob has a few on the way that he'll be selling next month. ;)

e.g. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-sale-trade-wanted/198336-fs-ft-list-month.html

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Carvin + Dimarzio Dominion pickups!

asilayamazing

Reaction score
ltd guitars seem to have very nice thicker necks i liked them better than my jackson which is almost too thin.