Some guitars are too funny not to post

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
unknown.png

What is this? Some sort of DIY extended scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
No idea what the master plan was with this, why there are extra tuners, why there a ton of tiny holes around the truss rod access, why they kept the bridge in the same spot when it was obviously so much easier to move that instead of the fretboard, why there are random number scrawled on the fret spaces without markers, nor what the purpose of the extra locking nut is... but I kind of like this.

Sometimes you want to climb the Matterhorn to prove that you are a badass, and other times you know you aren't a badass and you know nothing about mountaineering, but you try to climb the North Face anyway, and this is a perfect reminder of what happens when we do that. :lol:

spudmunkey

Reaction score

OK, so here's my take:

So it looks like it's a PB-style bass guitar, but they cut off the lowest three frets (you'll notice the two-dot 12th fret indicator is really its 9th fret, and there are numbers written on the new 3trd, 5th, 7th, etc frets) to make it closer to a guitar scale. It looks like there's a piece of veneer or thin maple that's attached to where these lower frets were, underneath the string retainers and the floyd locking nut, to cover what would otherwise be an exposed truss rod.

So I think they started with a P-bass. They replaced the bass bridge with the tele bridge, and put in a guitar humbucker where the bass's pickup would be. Now...both the bridge and pickup are mounted to some sort of larger wood plate. I'm assuming that's to make up the height difference of what they removed when they sanded down the top, but it could be that both the guitar bridge was too thin to prevent fret buzz, so they had to raise it up, and then the thinner guitar strings weren't strong enough to really push the pickups even at their highest adjustment, so they added a plate under that, too, large enough to cover the old pickup route. Or, maybe they knew they were going to need to use the larger plate to cover the old pickup route, so they then shaved down the front of the body to make room for it, and then had to lift up the bridge. That actually seems more likely now that I think about it.

As for the mess of a headstock, I bet that they started by just putting them all in the line on one side, l but then realized that guitar strings aren't easy to find in a length that could span the bass's full 34" scale AND to the far end of the long headstock, so that they had to add some closer in to the nut (and they added instead of moved to avoid empty holes). And they might have started trying to move in the furthest-out three tuners, but after moving the E and B, realized that the new G was behind the B and wouldn't work, so they went back to the one on the top edge but left the tuner there.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
OK, so here's my take:

So it looks like it's a PB-style bass guitar, but they cut off the lowest three frets (you'll notice the two-dot 12th fret indicator is really its 9th fret, and there are numbers written on the new 3trd, 5th, 7th, etc frets) to make it closer to a guitar scale. It looks like there's a piece of veneer or thin maple that's attached to where these lower frets were, underneath the string retainers and the floyd locking nut, to cover what would otherwise be an exposed truss rod.

So I think they started with a P-bass. They replaced the bass bridge with the tele bridge, and put in a guitar humbucker where the bass's pickup would be. Now...both the bridge and pickup are mounted to some sort of larger wood plate. I'm assuming that's to make up the height difference of what they removed when they sanded down the top, but it could be that both the guitar bridge was too thin to prevent fret buzz, so they had to raise it up, and then the thinner guitar strings weren't strong enough to really push the pickups even at their highest adjustment, so they added a plate under that, too, large enough to cover the old pickup route. Or, maybe they knew they were going to need to use the larger plate to cover the old pickup route, so they then shaved down the front of the body to make room for it, and then had to lift up the bridge. That actually seems more likely now that I think about it.

As for the mess of a headstock, I bet that they started by just putting them all in the line on one side, l but then realized that guitar strings aren't easy to find in a length that could span the bass's full 34" scale AND to the far end of the long headstock, so that they had to add some closer in to the nut (and they added instead of moved to avoid empty holes). And they might have started trying to move in the furthest-out three tuners, but after moving the E and B, realized that the new G was behind the B and wouldn't work, so they went back to the one on the top edge but left the tuner there.
I want you to defend me in any trial where my sanity is in question.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the extra tuners and Floyd nut without clamps distracted me from seeing there are two. This thing keeps getting worse.

')