Someone's offering me a BC Rich 7 String in Trade and I don't know anything about them: could you help?

• Thread starter golem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I've never ever tried a 7 string, 6 strings are usually my thing. I can only find one completed sale which suggests it's worth a few hundred more than what I have, a Friedman Cali HH. But the questions I have are less about value and more like, are these thought well enough that I won't have any trouble getting rid of it in the 2.2 to 2.5'ish range if I don't like it?

B.C. Rich Ironbird MK2 Legacy USA 7 Floyd Rose

https://reverb.com/item/74182912-b-...ar-gloss-black-ironusmk2lfbkd2?show_sold=true

hmjgfo1z3lvss517js8x.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Only have owned mid tier BCR which were decent, but have played a couple USA Models that were great quality.

That shape is extreme, but well beloved amongst that crowd. I like it myself though an RG or strat shape would be easier to learn on IMHO. What you like is what's important. What shapes and brands are currently playing?

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only have owned mid tier BCR which were decent, but have played a couple USA Models that were great quality.

That shape is extreme, but well beloved amongst that crowd. I like it myself though an RG or strat shape would be easier to learn on IMHO. What you like is what's important. What shapes and brands are currently playing?
Basic stuff. Mostly 6 string guitars that are influenced by Strats in some sense or another. I have a headless guitar. PRS. Nothing quite this unusual and exotic.

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
An extreme shape 7 is not going to be an easy flip no matter how it's regarded. It's a niche of a niche :2c:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. If it's not my thing even selling it a lot less than everywhere else might be a challenge.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
fwiw, I've had maybe 5 or 6 extreme shape BC Rich guitars pass through my hobby shop in the past couple years and I've sold them pretty damn fast on Reverb when I was ready to flip them. My prices are always fair though and I'm always sweating bullets when I have to ship them. Assuming a person isnt asking the moon for them, Beasts and Virgins have sold lightning fast for me- Ironbirds will take a bit longer I'd bet, but people still want them. It's really just the Warlock and Mockingbird shapes I won't gamble on a flip with anymore because they're all over the place.

*edit- holy shit I didn't realize they're trying to trade you a USA model. I'd do it for sure. But due to the higher price point over the MIK ones, yes, it will take longer to flip than a Prestige or a Gibson etc etc

Last edited:

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it the exact guitar you posted in the link though? As in damaged?
No they said they bought it from Sweetwater in May. I'm almost thinking of just going for it if they'll give me the original receipt so I can demonstrate it's one owner if I do sell and/or have it for insurance purposes if I keep it.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These particular ones were made by iconic guitars until BC screwed the pooch on their end of the deal IIRC. Should be quality enough, link speaks of damages so I'd be very careful. I have a 6 string IB and sitting down classical position it's the most comfortable guitar I own (better than a Jackson warrior imo), regarding resale these have their fanatics and I don't see the trend dying any time soon, especially considering these are USA built, blue collar death metal guys will be lining up for it. Almost no 7 string IBs exist aside of that model, the very slow production MIK 7s they'll bring out some time and some even rarer old USA models.

')