Something Walnut This Way Comes: KxK 7DC Build (new pics 5/28 complete)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I broke down a bit ago and ordered a KxK 7DC that's now in-progress

Specs:
- KxK 7DC double cut
- 25.5" scale
- flamed mahogany neck / body with center ebony stripe
- claro walnut top
- ebony board
- ss frets
- custom inlays front and back
- custom KxK P90-7s with walnut bobbins

on to the pics :D

A couple of new updates 2/23

Front (obviously the board is not glued on and the headstock cap hasn't been cut down to size yet)
7dcprogress.jpg

Back. We're revising the back inlays, but the pic showed off the figured mahogany so well I figured I'd post it anyways :D
backinlays2.jpg

More detailed shot of the P90-7 bobbins
P90covers.jpg

Got an unexpected surprise, turns out the board for this is QUILTED EBONY :yum:
Ebony.jpg

Board with inlays
SW7DC1.jpg

Inlay pics, not oiled yet so things will darken up and the figure will come out more
image1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

Updated back inlay pieces cut out. Woods are snakewood, walnut, boxwood, maple for the tiny chest scales on the snakes, and bloodwood.

image3.jpg

Frets in and back inlays all cut

SW7DC2.jpg

SW7DC3.jpg

Rough carve of the back with the inlays in. Some more shaping still needs to be done, but I'm loving how this looks

backinlays5.jpg

Things are coming together

image-back.jpg

Ready for clear coat

SW7DC4.jpg

SW7DC5.jpg

Awesome surprise to end the weekend, the 7DC is done. Final payment is going out in the morning so I should probably have the guitar next week :woot:

SW7DC7.jpg

SW7DC10.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
:drool:

off to my email client to start speccing out a DC7 for myself :)

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Those back inlays will be very interesting. And since they are going to be wood they shouldn't pose any problem to the neck's stability, yes?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those back inlays will be very interesting. And since they are going to be wood they shouldn't pose any problem to the neck's stability, yes?

They wouldn't effect neck stability regardless of what they were made of, inlays aren't very thick. Anything other than wood might feel a bit odd though.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
grr... decisions decisions.

I was planning on using some of the walnut that I have at Rob's shop -
walnut-kxk.jpg

but I don't want to copy you :lol:

So perhaps I should go with something different like redwood or something a bit more maple-y

rl8eM.jpg

uGypV.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is that bottom piece, spalt maple? Looks awesome :yesway:

I've actually been thinking my next order needs to be a maple or redwood top since I've got the dark wood like walnut and bubinga covered :lol:

Reaction score
This is gonna be awesome! The top looks great, and the inlays on the back of the body and neck are a really cool idea! :yesway:

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
That's looking beautiful!!

Doesn't help my P90 GAS though... I might just order a couple now and get it over with.

I've actually been thinking my next order needs to be a maple or redwood top since I've got the dark wood like walnut and bubinga covered :lol:

Get a redwood top! I can't explain how happy I am with my redwood topped guitar. It sounds both super clear and super thick.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
Looks very nice - I am glad that you have some spectacular wood for the body - a lot of people disregard the aestethics of a neat looking back and go for regular wood when there's a top on anyway... thumbs up on going for something with figure :)

Edika

Reaction score
As usual impeccable taste and awesome guitar on the way! I swear man you must be one of the backbone clients in KxK guitars :)!!

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
Dude, that's gonna be super nice. Do you guys order your own wood blanks?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its cool to see you all using Fraser Valley Woods...they're relatively close by here. :idea:

You have to keep an eye out, Fraser gets some amazing stuff in. The burl top for the 7DC in stock came from there, and the other half of that piece is mine and will be going on a future guitar.

This is gonna be awesome! The top looks great, and the inlays on the back of the body and neck are a really cool idea! :yesway:

Thanks. The idea for doing the inlays on the back was all Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out.

That's looking beautiful!!

Doesn't help my P90 GAS though... I might just order a couple now and get it over with.

Get a redwood top! I can't explain how happy I am with my redwood topped guitar. It sounds both super clear and super thick.

This guitar was born entirely from P90-7 and walnut GAS :lol:

I'm considering grabbing a redwood top and changing the specs to use it on my 7 Scale since it's a semi-hollow. Need to make sure the top isn't glued up on mine yet, but I don't think it has been. While the burl will look amazing I suspect the redwood would sound better for that guitar.

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY THINGS :wallbash:

:rofl:

Thanks to Techno, I now have this coming to me
VOePE.jpg

:yesway:

I've got the cash, I need to grab the other piece like that before somebody else does :lol:

Looks very nice - I am glad that you have some spectacular wood for the body - a lot of people disregard the aestethics of a neat looking back and go for regular wood when there's a top on anyway... thumbs up on going for something with figure :)

Again thank Rob, he suggested the figured mahogany for this build.

As usual impeccable taste and awesome guitar on the way! I swear man you must be one of the backbone clients in KxK guitars :)!!

Thanks. I'm definitely a happy repeat customer though there are several guys on here starting to give me a run for my money :D

')