Something Walnut This Way Comes: KxK 7DC Build (new pics 5/28 complete)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
the first time a saw an NWD

"wow, i would have never thought"

***frantically starts searching for wood***

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
what's the tone you're going for with Walnut & an ebony board & stringer?

I can't wait to see a side body shot with the contrasting top & body woods.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the first time a saw an NWD

"wow, i would have never thought"

***frantically starts searching for wood***

:rofl:

what's the tone you're going for with Walnut & an ebony board & stringer?

I can't wait to see a side body shot with the contrasting top & body woods.

Basically walnut is a brighter wood so it should be similar to maple/mahogany with an ebony board but slightly mellower. The stringer is really thin and is more aesthetic than tonal and if anything should just brighten the mahogany a little bit.

All generalizations but that should be about how it works out.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An update with a bonus I was unaware of. The board Rob picked out for this is QUILTED EBONY :eek:

Ebony.jpg

mphsc

Reaction score
An update with a bonus I was unaware of. The board Rob picked out for this is QUILTED EBONY :eek:

Ebony.jpg

ridiculously good. damn-it man.

I need to start talking shit so I get banned, because this forum is trouble on the mind & wallet.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ridiculously good. damn-it man.

I need to start talking shit so I get banned, because this forum is trouble on the mind & wallet.

I'm telling you it's hazardous, when I started posting here I was still playing an Ibanez...

This guitar started just because I wanted a guitar with Rob's P90-7s in it and it got a bit out of control :lol:

Reaction score
:flame:flame:I didnt even know ebony came in that flavor :lol:

Also I think I figured out how to stop GAS:

Step 1. Get loved one to sit down
Step 2. Write down alllll the gear you have/have had
Step 3. Count how many times youve gone to a tech/teacher/etc...
Step 4. Add rhem together
Step 5. Your reaction should seem something like: :flame:

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
techonomancer - thanks for sharing this great stuff :) I dig that you're doing inlays on the back - it'll be a nice contrast and a reason to show it off other than the neat wood. Quilted ebony? I never knew...my gawd! Anyhoo, sharing that almost fanatic obsession with neat woods is awesome! I'll post a NWD in a jiffy too...just got some bubinga in the door ;)

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
wow nice one techno ! and a quilted ebony Fingerboard? cool ;)... as my first coming kxk is on its way next few months.. i would like to know whats the normal thickness of the kxk guitar neck? the SII or 7S ?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
techonomancer - thanks for sharing this great stuff :) I dig that you're doing inlays on the back - it'll be a nice contrast and a reason to show it off other than the neat wood. Quilted ebony? I never knew...my gawd! Anyhoo, sharing that almost fanatic obsession with neat woods is awesome! I'll post a NWD in a jiffy too...just got some bubinga in the door ;)

My ex has a bubinga top on it, great stuff :yesway:

wow nice one techno ! and a quilted ebony Fingerboard? cool ;)... as my first coming kxk is on its way next few months.. i would like to know whats the normal thickness of the kxk guitar neck? the SII or 7S ?

I don't have the measurements handy, you'd need to email KxK. The neck on the Sii-7 I have with the standard maple neck profile feels similar to the Ibanez UV7PWHs I've had in the past, if you've ever played one of the early Ibanez Universe guitars.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
My ex has a bubinga top on it, great stuff :yesway:

I don't have the measurements handy, you'd need to email KxK. The neck on the Sii-7 I have with the standard maple neck profile feels similar to the Ibanez UV7PWHs I've had in the past, if you've ever played one of the early Ibanez Universe guitars.

Thanks alot for your kind help chris ;) well i dont know i haven been a universe guy and my first 7 string was an ibanez RG7 a rare piece i got it from ikebe few years ago.. because of the satin finished its been abused on the body alot and due to fustration i managed to sold it... and i am now dealing with KxK ! thanks for the thread... may it be in future to have this kinda small runs ;)... anyway i have emailed rob and he mentioned me sending him the specific measurement but am not really incline on neck profile... i may wanna get just slightly bigger than the usual ibanez universe 7 or if possible a jackson sl2h similar neck thickness... i do believe that a thicker neck would getta better tone? lol... just my opnion

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to get actual measurements for a custom neck if you want one. "I want like x or y brand" isn't going to fly.

Anyways, if you want to talk about the specs on your guitar why don't you start a thread for your build or to discuss specs people are getting for the run. This thread is for talking about my 7DC build.

mphsc

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but what's the final finish going to be?

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Rob and I are still talking about it :lol: I'll post it when I come to a decision on it.

Just don't do any black burst, as if you cover up any of the lovely walnut or mahogany I'll have to fly out to Pittsburgh to kick you in the balls. :wub:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just don't do any black burst, as if you cover up any of the lovely walnut or mahogany I'll have to fly out to Pittsburgh to kick you in the balls. :wub:

Oh hells no... we're currently talking about gloss on the walnut and oil on the back. Rob's oil is an oil/poly highbred so it will seal the 'hog while keeping all the inlays uniform looking :yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also a quick update :D

SW7DC1.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good since I designed the inlays :D The headstock logo will be ebony.

')