Something Walnut This Way Comes: KxK 7DC Build (new pics 5/28 complete)

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
2sbob3r.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All I can say is Rob is awesome. He cut the original basic inlay design for the back and decided it didn't look good enough and had me re-work it. So the multi-piece wings came in... then he came up with the idea for the scales on the snake chests. I love working with somebody that cares about the finished instrument I'm getting as much as I do.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for those doublecut shapes, and this thing is just tickling all of my various fancies. You have an amazing guitar on the way man, I have much jelly.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New update. Rough carved back shot with the inlays in. The back will still get some more shaping and attention before finish is applied. Have I mentioned I'm loving how this is coming out?

backinlays5.jpg

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Whoo!

Missed this thread. The work is awesome, and the base idea is great!
The only point to me is about the heel from KxK guitars... I really don't like this shape. :/

But anyway, this walnut looks great! (as always with walnut! :D )

Necromagnon

Reaction score
:scratch: why not? It's the single most accessible heel I've ever seen on a guitar.
I prefer a rounded heel, that fits the hand. More like regular heel.
And for the access, this is for me the advantage of necktrough build: you can make a very deep heel by carving the interior of both horns on the back. Like Parker's heel.

But it's just my point of view, it seems clearly an great accessible heel. :cheers:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everybody :yesway:

Oh and not sure if I said it but the finish on this is going to be gloss on the walnut bits and oil on the mahogany (well, it's an oil / poly blend so the mahogany will still be completely sealed to avoid moisture problems with the mahogany)

I prefer a rounded heel, that fits the hand. More like regular heel.
And for the access, this is for me the advantage of necktrough build: you can make a very deep heel by carving the interior of both horns on the back. Like Parker's heel.

So in other words you like to use the heel to support your hand? That's cool. Personally I like to not even notice there's a heel there so it's just like playing any other part of the neck :2c:

Necromagnon

Reaction score
So in other words you like to use the heel to support your hand? That's cool. Personally I like to not even notice there's a heel there so it's just like playing any other part of the neck :2c:
In fact, I don't play in high frets... :lol:

But yes, I like to use heel as support.

')