Sometimes you score, sometimes... not so much. '70s style strat partscaster "build"

• Thread starter StarbardGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
So lately, I've been missing this guitar I used to have which was a white strat with a black pickguard, fender texas specials, and an Yngwie-style scalloped neck with the large headstock and bullet truss rod. Granted, it was my second guitar when I was probably only 12 years old, and it was a Squier, but I still decided I'd rebuild something similar... but better. I also don't have a guitar with single coils at the moment, and I've really been craving that tone for some reason.

I actually wasn't going to start this "build" (or rather an assembly) until I finished my latest actual build, but I happened to find some good deals on ebay which happened to be for parts I would need for this guitar, and I couldn't resist. I found this unfinished ash body that was described as having some CNC error with the bridge route, and was about half off the usual asking price of one. I figured it'd be an easy fix, just fill a small spot and re-rout the slot for the bridge in the right spot then you're ready to finish it. But, unfortunately, it showed up today with more issues that weren't mentioned in the listing.

290pny0.jpg

So, this is all that was mentioned in the listing. Either the top or back rout or the trem cavity is slightly out of alignment with the other.

2dai1z4.jpg

2ihm7gh.jpg

Unfortunately, I've discovered some more issues with the body. Keep in mind these weren't mentioned or clearly pictured in the listing. The neck pocket rout isn't finished, and there is a bit of a crack in the wood on the left side of the pocket you can see in this picture.

33eq0w2.jpg

The CNC machine somehow cut the arm contour deeper on this side and left a bit of a ledge, which will need to be worked out. The only problem is, you can see where I traced a pickguard that there isn't much room left for contouring before I'd be contouring under the pickguard... which won't look good.

suvhph.jpg

While we're on the topic of pickguards, this old dual humbucker pickguard I had laying around shows that if I were to be using a HH or HSH set up, I'd need to adjust the bridge pickup rout a little. Granted, this was a warmoth pickguard for a strat with a floyd rose, but I don't believe that changes where the bridge pickup is, because it was never an issue with my mighty mite body that this pickguard was used on.

2q8bytf.jpg

And finally, I don't even think the back tummy contour was finished by the CNC machine, because it's barely contoured at all on the horn side.

2exm35f.jpg

None of this stuff is really a big deal, but I guess I'm just bummed I either hadn't noticed these things in the pictures or that they weren't mentioned in the listing. I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt because they have great feedback and their other similar listings seem to have good detail, but I may still contact them about this. I'm still going to go through and use this body, and my neck and hardware should be getting here on Monday. So, we will see then which side of the bridge rout needs work, and hopefully not discover other issues. :lol: Also, I'm prioritizing my other build at the moment, so this project probably won't get done quickly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
That neck pocket is the one true bummer to me. The other stuff isn't good, but it's all fairly easily fixable, especially considering you went into this knowing you were going to probably re-route some. A bit of sanding/more routing isn't that big a deal. Still, it sucks it wasn't mentioned. Never cool to leave flaws out of a product description.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
That neck pocket is the one true bummer to me. The other stuff isn't good, but it's all fairly easily fixable, especially considering you went into this knowing you were going to probably re-route some. A bit of sanding/more routing isn't that big a deal. Still, it sucks it wasn't mentioned. Never cool to leave flaws out of a product description.

Exactly. I'm really just a little disappointed that the rest wasn't mentioned in the listing. Like you said, a lot of the issues aren't a big deal since I knew I had to do some work to it anyway. I have plans to fix the crack too, this is just more than I bargained for.