Sonar 5

• Thread starter peterchau
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

peterchau

Heavy Metal Pirate
Reaction score
so i got obtained a copy of Sonar 5, and I cannot figure out how to use anyhting on it. Can someone direct me on using it? I only have the package software, so any recommened plugins and whatnots would be cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Well if you bought it, it came with support and an instruction manual, right? :cool:

peterchau

Heavy Metal Pirate
Reaction score
Yea its got a manual. However I find that it isnt very specfic. It'll say something like, "press the blow up botton to blow up the sound". It'll show a picture of the bottom, but they fail to mention that the bottom is in paino mode, after adding in the metronome toolbar.

Anyways, do you know any good plugins that would be useful to use with this program?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If by "obtained" you mean what I think you mean, get you a copy of Nuendo 3. It's a $2000 program and it is extremely easy to use. Has more features than I have any clue how to use.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
If by "obtained" you mean what I think you mean, get you a copy of Nuendo 3. It's a $2000 program and it is extremely easy to use. Has more features than I have any clue how to use.

Now, now, LoC, you know we can't advocate robbing banks to pay for recording programs around here, it's just a huge liability for the site. Surely he couldn't mean that.

:fawk:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Without getting in too much debate here, software piracy is wrong, and offensive to people that actually program to put food on the table. If you do it, keep it to yourself.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ditto - I'm kidding around because I get the sense that peter DID buy it, but intellectual theft is intellectual theft.

I'm just being my usual flippant self. Besides, I'm italian, grand theft runs in the gene pool. ;)

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Polaris20 said:
Without getting in too much debate here, software piracy is wrong, and offensive to people that actually program to put food on the table. If you do it, keep it to yourself.

I didn't actually steal it! Somebody I know bought it off ebay for pretty cheap and his computer wasn't able to handle it. He sold it to me cheap with a trade for my (bought) copy of Cubase 3. Somebody, somewhere down the line got their money for designing it.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
I didn't actually steal it! Somebody I know bought it off ebay for pretty cheap and his computer wasn't able to handle it. He sold it to me cheap with a trade for my (bought) copy of Cubase 3. Somebody, somewhere down the line got their money for designing it.

I guess that's what matters then. But you do know Cubase 3 and Nuendo 3 use an extremely similar audio engine, right? Your friend wasn't too bright to trade, when he could have run Nuendo about the same as he would Cubase.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Polaris20 said:
I guess that's what matters then. But you do know Cubase 3 and Nuendo 3 use an extremely similar audio engine, right? Your friend wasn't too bright to trade, when he could have run Nuendo about the same as he would Cubase.

That's what's wonderful about having idiots for friends sometimes.. :lol:

EDIT: Not really a friend, more of an acquaintence that kisses my ass because he wants me to join his band.

I witnessed it though! He got memory full errors every time he tried to load it! Cubase doesn't seem to do it to him. Oddly enough, Nuendo seems to use up less resources on my computer than Cubase did... :scratch:

peterchau

Heavy Metal Pirate
Reaction score
I dont think I can return software man. I just choose Sonar cause there was a word on there that said Cakewalk. I like cake.

Anyways, I got some basics on this program down so I think ill be alright

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sonar is cool and I've experimented with it a bit too. It's just as good as any other high end recording software, I just prefer the layout of Steinberg products because I'm used to the layout.

gojira

Reaction score
I've used just about all the daws around - and the two best in my opinion are sonar - and ableton live

sonar is just excellent - and comes with some of the best plugs around - it's also very easy to use - the manual should help you. I VASTLY preffer it to pro-tools - which is actually quite shitty IMO - industry standard or not.

Ableton is very different and more eciting in it's potential - it's a pleasure to use - but somewhat limited as a DAW

Tracktion is also incredible.

')