Sonar X1 MIDI issue

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
My general workflow is tabbing out in guitar pro > exporting as midi > add midi tracks in Sonar X1 > then open a VST or synth. The problem I'm having is that once I have the synth initialized in sonar and import the midi file to the track, for whatever reason, the track goes silent. But before adding the midi track it works just fine using my keyboard or the piano roll. Any ideas on why importing the midi would cause it to go silent? I generally see it with dimension pro and the strings (can't think of the name I'm not on that computer right now). I've checked the inputs outputs on the midi track and the audio output track and nothing changes when I add the midi file. Any ideas???:nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
I believe all the notes are within the range of the instrument, I'm using dimension pro for piano in the normal range of a guitar mostly, as far as channels, I have the midi source IN as blank, midi out to the synth track which has the midi source as the IN, and then output on that to the master.

So. Midi source IN: blank, Out: synth. Audio track IN: synth, OUT: master
Is this what you mean?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
No, MIDI has a different type of routing other than Input/Output, known as channel. In sonar this is higher up the strip, with bank and such. Channel 1-16. Or OMNI which means all.
I can't remember Dimension but if your patch in Dimension for example is Input channel:1, and your MIDI is Output channel:5, it wont receive it. Set it to OMNI or 1, and it would.
In Sonar you can also change the channel of individual MIDI notes in piano roll view by right clicking on them to bring up their information.

Hope this helps! If not I can only suggest looking in the Event List to check you don't have a controller value in there which is setting the volume of the synth down or something.

For the record, Channel is useful for multichannel synths - for example ones that can load several different sounds. You can then have one synth playing different sounds from different MIDIs output to various channels. Or change the sound of particular notes by right clicking them in PRV etc.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Just re-reading, this would not however explain why the keyboard stops working after importing the MIDI! Only why the MIDI wont play. I think the Controller Value issue is more likely. Try a new clean tab, just one guitar, playing one note. Import that and check the Event List. You shouldn't really see anything other than the Note and Velocity.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Check you're not getting a dropout either. I sometimes get dropouts while not playing back audio so I don't notice, and then wonder why it's not working. Hit the little waveform icon on corner the timebar if you do.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Doesn't look like anything is dropping out, the other midi outputs are playing just fine. I attached some screen shots so maybe if you see something I dont? I don't really understand the event viewer screen, I wouldn't know if I'm looking at something wrong or not, so I attached a screen shot of that too.
screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

Screen1.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hmm looks cool to me man..The only thing I can think is the program changes I can see in the MIDI (I think that's what they are, I never use them). What have you got going on in the tab?
Hook me up with the MIDI if you like and I'll put it into my X1. goat6@hotmail.co.uk

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thought I'd reply on here so you get a bump too.
Sorry man but I'm totally stumped, the files were fine with me.
Try it on an instrument track too - if that works you know you're doing something wrong with your routing.

I can only suggest taking this to the Cakewalk forum, hopefully someone will be able to help!

wjm123

Reaction score
Hmm, try the following:
1) delete those stuff at the start in the event viewer, those that are not note data

2) Check the MIDI slider at the left inspector, see if its somehow moving or something when the track plays. Sometimes the imported GP midi files have some weird volume stuff fixed and is automating the slider. To disable it just right click the midi slider in the instrument/midi track and disable control.

3) It could be that the VSTi you're using, in this case perhaps the SI Strings(?) doesn't support that octave range or something, try transposing the midi track up a few octaves or something maybe then you'll get some sound.

4) Try changing the channels in the midi track

Keyboard might stop working might be due to the monitoring thingy not turned on on the right track?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
1) delete those stuff at the start in the event viewer, those that are not note data

I would also have suggested this even if you can't see anything suspect - just bare in mind what you're deleting. If all you care about in the imported tab is the notes, then sure. But if you've put in volume swells or various other things, tread carefully. That said, those are probably things you'd want to redo in the DAW anyway.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'm going to give it another go today after work. If it is something to do with the VSTi, anyone got a recommendation on a good strings VSTi?

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Well I still couldn't figure out how to get the midi to import properly so I ended up having to tab it out in sonar itself and it worked just fine, so it must've had something to do with the midi file being imported. If anyone is curious what the fuss was about, here is the completed song. Let me know what you think!
SoundClick artist: Red Autumn (Bradenton) - Heavy, Hard, Rock, Erie

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'll take a listen later but you should certainly head to the Sonar forum to sort this out. I had zero issues.

Actually, I can try and help you more if you give EXACT instructions step by step on what you are doing with the midi file you sent me, from opening Sonar, inserting tracks, everything. I'll see how it plays out :) I'm sure there's a simple mistake being overlooked.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Heya, this is months old now but I'll post anyway because I had the same issue and I know a workaround. Maybe someone can use the info still.

1) Make an empty MIDI track and import your MIDI data on it. (DON'T put it on the desired synth track, or else the synth will go silent and you have to delete and re-add the synth.)

2) Open the imported MIDI track into Piano Roll View and look to the very left end. If you look up and down along the "wall", you'll see tiny squares of different colors. You need to pixel-hunt-delete them all (right-click), and there may be many of them stacked on top of each other, so you'll have to click many times until the square disappears. Repeat for all squares. There may be a black one near the bottom too.

3) When all of them are gone, you can move the MIDI data onto the synth track and everything should work.

For some reason Superior Drummer doesn't mind these controller nodes, but for example the SI-Bass instrument goes silent, and some of the synth lead sound plugins go just nuts.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ That sounds like the same solution as the event list thing I posted. There can be lots of commands in there for various things like volume. Whenever I import a MIDI I always go to the event list and delete everything except Notes - good to know there's no other control commands and patch changes going on.

Latest posts

')