Songs that hit too close to home...

• Thread starter sniperfreak223
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
This song came up on my iPod on the drive home today, and I seriously had to pull over for a few minutes due to emotional overload. As a recovering manic depressant, it just hits so close to home and damn near brings me to tears. Anyone else have songs like that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Sometimes I almost tear up when I listen to Sum by Meshuggah, especially in the context of listening to the entire album. I dunno why it gets me but it's just like.. so intense. Lyrically, I wouldn't say it "hits close to home", considering I don't even know all the lyrics... is it possible for just the music itself to "hit close to home"?

Abaddon9112

Reaction score

This song is basically about looking back at a past you'll never return to. I also have a problem with severe depression, and this always brings me painful nostalgia for the simpler, happier times in my life.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score

Can't really explain why. It's just one of Moonsorrow's most beautiful compositions and it really digs deep. Same with Tulimyrsky, by the end section I'm just tearing up.

Bear R.

Bear R.-
Reaction score
"Breaking the Silence" by Queensryche..I don't know why but it makes me wanna tear up even while singing it full force..great song...

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
Johnny Cash - Hurt
...because dem feels and it came at particular point in my life.

Chopin - Sonata No. 2 in B Flat Minor, Op 35 (III Marche funebre)
...because nothing quite matches these feels.

Liszt - Totentanz

...damn.

Song of the Volga Boatmen
...because ancestry? Not sure why, but the same goes for much slavic and slavic-themed music.

Grandiose black metal is quite similar, especially loud and with earbuds, but I've linked (more than?) enough vids.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

This song of course, but this rendition SPECIFICALLY. You have no idea what you're in for if you've never heard this version/concert. Pearl Jam always hits the spot for me though, one of my favorite bands ever.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, Machine Head kills with this song. I remember seeing this live, and the atmosphere is just not something you can reproduce. It started raining pretty heavily, and people were told to move to another section of the venue but me and many other stayed. They kept on playing, the energy was insane between us and the band, I'm sure they would have stopped if we stopped but it was immense. Eventually the venue just let the set continue, and the rain and shit weather cleared up right after their set which was great :lol:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Gets me every time....

crying-smiley-12030139.jpg

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
This is me and my fiancée's "song"

John Fruciante's verse/chorus cover of The Beegees' How Deep Is Your Love.

I was planning on singing and playing this to her at our wedding but every time I practice it I get choked up. I've since aborted this mission.

Quantumface

Reaction score
This song always reminds me of my grandfather's death in the hospital. I listened to this album a bunch when I first moved out when I was 18. I cant even listen to it anymore, its one of those albums that transports me straight back to that time. I avoid listening to it in hopes the feeling is preserved until I'm old and grey.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score

'Remedy Land' is my breakup album, so the entire album has alot of sentimental value, but when I just need to catharsis that feeling of emotional abandon and loss, this is a go to.
This song also has the underlying theme of 'I will get through this. I just need to fell this hurt right now.'

')