Songs with amazing sweep sections?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shredasaurus

deathcore!!!
Reaction score
I will tab that out for you if you like, it's really simple, it might even be slower than the sweeps for Recreant by chelsea grin (fun song if you want to practice slow sweeps to a song as supposed to a metronome)

:bowdown:

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
e----------------13-18-13---------------- x2
B-------------15----------15-------------
G----------14---------------14-----------
D-------15---------------------15--------
A-12-17---------------------------17-12-
E----------------------------------------
then
e----------------13-17-13---------------- x2
B-------------15----------15-------------
G----------14---------------14-----------
D-------15---------------------15--------
A-12-17---------------------------17-12-
E----------------------------------------
Well that's what I could hear through the synths masking most of it, but that should be right.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score

I could just leave it at that because that solo pretty much rapes everything, but let's carry on lol : )

Those outro sweeps still make grin to this day. So damned ridiculously good.

Didn't seem like there was any love for Yngwie in this thread, which is understandable, but this song is sick, and this guy does it justice.

Because who doesn't love Powerglove?

It's not as in your face as other bands are, but Paul Ryan can still sweep like a mofo.

I guess you can't really have a thread about shredding without Muhammad lol.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
It casts a shadow over my weary soul that it took 48 posts for someone to mention the solo to Death and the Healing, but there we have it. :lol:

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
Tosin Abasi has done some mad sweeps. I didn't believe Cylindrical Seas could actually be played live until I saw it. Insanity is at 1:40:

And of course the world's introduction to AAL, the intro sweep section of the debut album opener Tempting Time:

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Sorry but all the metal guys doing sweeps play very simple things and don't have anywhere near the control of Gambale and not just at fast tempi; sweeping slowly but in time and with different rhythmic feels, not just up and down the neck is very challenging and no one does it better than Frank.

I am always amazed to see how little recognition he gets (and yes I saw a couple of people mention him here but he is way way out alone in the stratosphere for his control, broad vocab and musicality with the concept)

Bireli Lagrene also sweeps a bit (but pretty sloppy) and Daniel Gilbert a fusion player out at GIT uses a lot of less obvious sweeping to good effect. He used to play with Gambale as well back in the day....

Guthrielicious

Reaction score
Sorry but all the metal guys doing sweeps play very simple things and don't have anywhere near the control of Gambale and not just at fast tempi; sweeping slowly but in time and with different rhythmic feels, not just up and down the neck is very challenging and no one does it better than Frank.

I am always amazed to see how little recognition he gets (and yes I saw a couple of people mention him here but he is way way out alone in the stratosphere for his control, broad vocab and musicality with the concept)

Bireli Lagrene also sweeps a bit (but pretty sloppy) and Daniel Gilbert a fusion player out at GIT uses a lot of less obvious sweeping to good effect. He used to play with Gambale as well back in the day....

I agree. There has defintely been posted som good replies in this thread, but I see many of these 'death/black'-metal bands where it almost seems like exercises (and sounds). I'm trying to learn Gambale's (and Hutchings) 3-string sweeps, but they are incredibly advanced.

Well.. Practice makes perfect. :hbang:

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Well practice with a Yo yo in the right hand helps a lot too...
I agreed Gambale is a monster fusion player but when it comes to sweep picking in classical music nobody can beat Mr Becker and his insane sweeps...He played really really difficult arpeggios while metal guys use only the diminish E minor thing scale.
Also I would like to talk about Shawn Lane who was so strong that he could make alternate picking so fluid at the speed the others will choose sweeping...
Because it's insane to make 4-notes per string arpeggios. He had such control with his snap picking technique....The speed is not the most terrifying thing, it's the fluidity of complex licks with a bee bop approach. Like Gambale but most frightening.

And all sweeping/tapping I could see on this thread...This guy made it with just the left hand.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
More traditional jazz players like Tal Farlow or Geore Benson sweeps too, but Frank perfected it

Bryan Baker is also a monster (he is influenced by Frank Gambale a lot):

Frank Gambale's interview

Are there any up-and-coming guitarists you're excited about?

Frank Gambale:

"Absolutely, and it’s not limited to just guitar either. I know this guy in Edinburgh, Scotland, named Kevin Glasgow. This kid is a freak. He plays a six-string bass, and he does everything — taps, sweeps — and that’s sweeping on a six-string bass. And he plays with another fellow named Ben MacDonald, a fine young talent who’s got a lot of potential. There’s another guy in London, Alex Hutchings. He’s trying an interesting thing, too. He’s altered the last three strings of his guitar, switching it to straight fourths, so he’s really pioneering in that, and he’s an incredible guitar player. It really is encouraging to see young players who are just terrific.
"

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Well practice with a Yo yo in the right hand helps a lot too...
I agreed Gambale is a monster fusion player but when it comes to sweep picking in classical music nobody can beat Mr Becker and his insane sweeps...He played really really difficult arpeggios while metal guys use only the diminish E minor thing scale.
Also I would like to talk about Shawn Lane who was so strong that he could make alternate picking so fluid at the speed the others will choose sweeping...
Because it's insane to make 4-notes per string arpeggios. He had such control with his snap picking technique....The speed is not the most terrifying thing, it's the fluidity of complex licks with a bee bop approach. Like Gambale but most frightening.

And all sweeping/tapping I could see on this thread...This guy made it with just the left hand.

I'm not entirely sure I understood your English but Lane and Becker do exactly the kind of sweeping I was talking about in comparison to Gambale; shapes built for speed and not really note choice and rhythm over changes etc. I think you said something about a bebop approach but that's just simply not the case at all.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Wave of Babies - Animals as Leaders ( )
It's kind of impossible they way it sounds on the recording and the way it is tabbed out. You need time to shift and there isn't any time available. I believe Tosin leaves the last note off of each phrase when he plays it live. Its still one of the cooler sweeps I've seen though.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I understood your English but Lane and Becker do exactly the kind of sweeping I was talking about in comparison to Gambale; shapes built for speed and not really note choice and rhythm over changes etc. I think you said something about a bebop approach but that's just simply not the case at all.

I touched on the point that a lot of metal players are just doing scale exercises, and that Gambale is one of the best, along with Tony Macalpine, but to lump Shawn Lane in with the metal players is not only unfair, it's downright wrong. I can't think of any Shawn Lane song or performance where he started sweeping up and down minor arpeggios over 4/4 time.

Lane has a song called "One Note at a Time", which has a section that sounds like sweeping but he was individually picking every note, hence the name of the song.

Latest posts

')