Sony BMG now says ripping CD's to your MP3 player is "stealing"

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
Excerpts below are taken from this Ars Technica Story

Pariser noted that music labels make no money on touring, radio, or merchandise, which leaves the company particularly exposed to the negative effects of file-sharing. "It's my personal belief that Sony BMG is half the size now as it was in 2000," she said, thanks to piracy. In Pariser's view, "when people steal, when they take music without compensation, we are harmed."

Pariser has a very broad definition of "stealing." When questioned by Richard Gabriel, lead counsel for the record labels, Pariser suggested that what millions of music fans do is actually theft. The dirty deed? Ripping your own CDs or downloading songs you already own.

Gabriel asked if it was wrong for consumers to make copies of music which they have purchased, even just one copy. Pariser replied, "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Making "a copy" of a purchased song is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," she said.

Countless studies have shown that the majority of music on portable music players like the iPod comes from sources other than download services. For most people, that music is comprised primarily of songs "ripped" from CD collections to MP3 or some other comparable format. Indeed, most portable music players comes with software (like iTunes) which is designed to facilitate the easy ripping of CDs. According to Pariser's view, this is stealing...insofar as she clearly suggests that consumers have no right to make backups of the music that they have purchased in CD form or even in download form.

I knew that a lot of label execs were clueless. But now they're also :nuts:

So based on what she testified. We're only able to listen on the media it's either purchased on, or downloaded to. So as soon as I transfer anything over to my iPod, I'm a thief. Even though my CD collection is actually my backup for if/when my iPod crashes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason downloading hurts music is because people find out that what they're putting out is BULLSHIT before they drop money on a CD.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So as soon as I transfer anything over to my iPod, I'm a thief. Even though my CD collection is actually my backup for if/when my iPod crashes.

That's an interesting opinion she has. It's a pity it's completely unsupported by copyright law.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Crazy Bitch said:
Pariser noted that music labels make no money on touring, radio, or merchandise, which leaves the company particularly exposed to the negative effects of file-sharing. "It's my personal belief that Sony BMG is half the size now as it was in 2000," she said, thanks to piracy. In Pariser's view, "when people steal, when they take music without compensation, we are harmed."
Sony BMG is half the size, because when people realized they only wanted 2 songs off your shitty CDs, they stopped buying them. Release good music, and maybe your profits wont be so fucking dismal. You might want to try a better method, like signing good bands instead of lowering the price of a CD from 19$ to 16$.

Crazy Bitch said:
Gabriel asked if it was wrong for consumers to make copies of music which they have purchased, even just one copy. Pariser replied, "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Making "a copy" of a purchased song is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," she said.
:lol:
I got a pair of nuts she can lick if she tries to stop me from copying CDs i PURCHASED from her label to my Ip...wait... I don't buy any discs from artists on Sony BMG, cause they don't sign good bands! thats right!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wonder if they call it "stealing a soul" when I rip her head off of her torso?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Sony R-Tard said:
"It's my personal belief that Sony BMG is half the size now as it was in 2000," she said, thanks to piracy. In Pariser's view, "when people steal, when they take music without compensation, we are harmed."

When I handed you $16 (about $7 more than I should have had to anyways) for that CD, were you NOT compensated for that music? What's that?! YOU WERE?!!!?! :holy: So I didn't "steal" the music, I rightfully paid for it. You're just a greedy bitch who would love to violate ACTUAL copyright laws and see me have to pay twice for music I rightfully bought in the first place.

OMG stop the fucking presses... this bitch just got pwned. Go fist yourself... as MK already said, I don't think they have any artists left that I listen to so if I can avoid it, I'm not supporting them anymore... :squint:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That's an interesting opinion she has. It's a pity it's completely unsupported by copyright law.

:agreed:

IIRC music copyright law works pretty much the same as computer software copyright law. It is based upon the principal of one purchase allows one person to use it at a given time. So, if you make copies of your CD, or rip it to your iPod, then you're in the clear, because you cannot listen to two things at the same time. However, if you rip it to your iPod, and then lend your CD to someone else, you are breaking the law, because you and the other person could be listening to the same thing at the same time.

This statement is so extremely draconian. It couldn't be anymore obvious how out of touch the major labels are, both technologically and musically. As Mike said, they don't have force of law to back their statements. As Ken said, if they signed someone other than trendies, then people would buy entire albums again, instead of downloading just a handful of songs.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at Sony BMG's page, and i find it funny that there's a direct link to executives and subsidiary labels, but no actual bands. THat in and of itself seems telling.

The only one i had even bought albums from before was Epic. So i decided to see what kind of stuff they have on there. Such provocative artists as:
Good Charlotte
Incubus
Jennifer Lopez
Jessica Simpson

The only people who i saw on there who had anything worth while were (in alphabetical order) Tori Amos, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai.

Ozzy Osbourne is signed to Epic, but i refuse to support him anymore.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
All I can say is :fawk:

I wish it were possible to collectively bitch slap people with stupid ideas like this.

Beta

Reaction score
Odd, considering Sony sells Network Walkman mp3 players, one of which I own (an older model, however).

Any record/electronics company who thinks any consumer should pay again for songs they already purchased on CD can eat a dick (to borrow a phrase from Sony recording artists Cypress Hill).

I'm with Metal Ken. If you release a CD from some artist with 10 songs and 8 of them blow, you'll be lucky to get $2 from most people- none of whom will, or should, give a crap how much you spent on producing and marketing those 8 other lousy songs.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
The fact that the artist only gets 1-2$ off every ced (if they're lucky) is way more of a rip off than the "pain" the record companies are feeling.

1) Sell CD's for a fair price
2) Stop signing shit bands
3) Accept your cut will be less and that the world is changing.

Fuck, I mean, I'd buy a hell of a lot more CD's if they were priced fairly, and if i knew i wasn't buiying shit.

And boo-fucking-hoo about record companies not making money from bands touring, or from merch. I mean, that's quite possibly the only way a lot of bands make their living.

Just because some music exec can't support a coke fueled lifestyle of doing lines of a hookers arse, and then screwing bands by putting it through their expenses, hell, I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Psychoface

SS.org Addict
Reaction score
Ive noticed that some CD's have taken action against ripping CD's, for example! my friend told me about the new Korn cd (see you on the other side) HE CANT EVEN BURN IT ONTO HIS COMPUTER TO PUT ON HIS IPOD... its totally lame -.-

........If they charge stupid prices for CD's people are just gunna be like "screw it" and just download it....

they should be more like relapse records, I recently bought the new Dying Fetus album THREE DAYS after its release for 13.99$ (what a steal!) good price, good album, good deal in my opinion...
anyway (sorry for rambling on)
moral of the story is: charge decent prices and people will buy your music, dont be a greedy bitch!

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
/recordexec

"Damn it! I wanted to buy the Bentley, but I guess I'll have to settle for the Mercedes instead."

neil and bob

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I buy albums I like. I never buy them before I download them. Example:

In the past two weeks, I've bought Outworld, Epitaph, I, Contradictions Collapse, None, Annihilation of the Wicked, Black Seeds of Vengeance, and In the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka.

I already had every single one of those on my iPod, in some cases (like Outworld), for several months. Probably the only thing I buy without having downloaded first is classical music, because it's a pain in the ass otherwise.

On the other hand, I refuse to buy from iTunes because they either give you DRM'd lossless codecs, or 128 kbps mp3s. Fuck that. It's 320 kbps or lossless with NO DRM for me all the way.

')