Soon to be NGD: Agile Septor 727 Oceanburst

• Thread starter drewlarussa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
I've always thought these looked awesome. Let us know your impressions when you get some time with it.

drewlarussa

Reaction score
I've always thought these looked awesome. Let us know your impressions when you get some time with it.
I love the oceanburst flame. Last time they had it i didnt have the funds and was so devastated. Glad I had the chance to get it this time. According to Rondo's Amazon page, they only have 2 in stock

TrashJuice

Reaction score
Love the oceanburst, hate the TOM. Hope you enjoy your new guitar OP.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
Recently got the cheaper septor 727 black flame with cepheus fixed bridge (hipshot knockoff). Absolutely love it. Best guitar ive ever owned. Stock pickups are decent, hardware is cheap but the bridge is super comfy. I replaced the bridge pup with a duncan nazgul and i am replacing the brige saddles and tuners with hipshots before I do my NGD with a before and after mods and review. You will love it!

Splenetic

Reaction score
I have a Valkyrie III Nat Ash

Pros:
- Sounds pretty good.
- Looks really cool from a few feet away.
- Stays in tune and intonation is on point.
- Despite the following long list of cons, I still like it. (This may just be me though)

Cons:
- It's heavier than my Epi LPC, which is pretty heavy itself. It could likely be used as a boat anchor backup.
- THE most neck-heavy guitar I own easily. Moving the strap button from the back to the upper wing may resolve that, but it pisses me off that I have to consider putting another damn hole in the guitar to make it balance out.
- The fretwork was alright initially, no buzzing and pretty smooth... but the fretwire is really damn Soft. This is my biggest concern with it. Right now if I look at the frets they look a bit more worn than my LPC (which I got used, and it's from 2005!)
- The poly finish....It literally looks like it was drowned in that shit. Way too thick and plastic feeling. Not noticeable even from like 5-6 feet away, but when you're holding it, it is.
- This is nitpicking, but still valid: Near the neck joint, the side inlay dots are kinda crooked. Nothing major, but sloppy none the less. Around this same area, the binding is cracking.... nothing is falling off but it's decked out in micro-cracks. Hardly noticeable....but that's just for now.

- Another HUGE concern. The back of the neck has a few dark lines going along the neck vertically. I wish I had looked over the guitar more meticulously in the beginning because I'm not sure if this was there all along simply in the wood itself when it was made, or if these are vertical cracks forming slowly until it falls apart in my hands. For now, it's not an issue though. Still, it makes me wonder if the wood they used wasn't dried properly if at all.

So yeah, like I said, I like it but it really is not on the same level as my Korean Epi, nor my Schecters. (I say this because they're often compared to both brands) .... YMMV. Oh and in my case It's a harder pill to swallow cause the shipping costs to Canada are pretty high, so this complicates returning it all the more. Since you're in the US, you're at a vast advantage in that regard though.

MrSleepwalker

Reaction score
Hey, congrats, man!
I own the same exact axe right now :D Bought it from a guy here on SS for $220
It's a solid guitar for that price and it looks cool

+:
- Price. Agile/Rondomusic affords the most affordable 27" 7string guitars
- It looks great, especially if you are a fan of Periphery :lol:
- Hardware is pretty decent, I had no problems with tuning/adjusting guitar. I switched pickups to Crunchlab/Liquifire 7 combo, though stock Cepheus pickups are not bad for that price. CL/LF combo just sounds more clear and has more mids and also has more output, imo.

-:
- Fretwork. There are few "dead" points on the neck where strings buzz.
- Thick neck. I'm a big fan of thin necks, so Agile's neck is like a baseball bat to me. But it's thinner than Schecter's necks :lol:
- Sound. It's the main reason I'm gonna sell it and buy a RGD/RGA ibby. It sounds like a $300-500 entry-level guitar. It sounds dull and thin and doesn't have all those harmonics that japanese/american instruments have :rolleyes: And it also has a very short sustain, unfortunately.

Well, anyways HNGD, man! Hope it will help You :hbang:

AZyviIk.jpg

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
The only agile I ever had that sounded dull was an 827, and it sounded fine after a string change. Honestly, they're not going to sound any better or worse than a more expensive guitar made of the same woods. (Aside from pickups, which can be changed.) The main difference in expensive vs cheap is QC, which in my experience rondo does well enough.

With that said, I demand pictures when it arrives. I'm sure you'll love it.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
Hey, congrats, man!

+:
- Hardware is pretty decent, I had no problems with tuning/adjusting guitar. I switched pickups to Crunchlab/Liquifire 7 combo, though stock Cepheus pickups are not bad for that price. CL/LF combo just sounds more clear and has more mids and also has more output, imo.

-:
- Thick neck. I'm a big fan of thin necks, so Agile's neck is like a baseball bat to me. But it's thinner than Schecter's necks :lol:
- Sound. It's the main reason I'm gonna sell it and buy a RGD/RGA ibby. It sounds like a $300-500 entry-level guitar. It sounds dull and thin and doesn't have all those harmonics that japanese/american instruments have :rolleyes: And it also has a very short sustain, unfortunately.

AZyviIk.jpg

Hey that guitar looks familiar! :)

drewlarussa

Reaction score
Hey, congrats, man!

+:

-:

AZyviIk.jpg
I have D'activator and liquifire combo in my Douglas 7 string, LOVE that combo. Definitely am probably going to get the same set for this.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I have no dead frets and my tone is superb. Occasionally they have duds but if you contact them they will replace it easily or fix it. The fret work on mine is great but its not a super hard metal so it wont last forever like stainless frets. But for $300 its beyond its prjce range

Pinhead

Reaction score
Just ordered this bad boy from Rondo: Agile Septor 727 RN CP TOM Oceanburst Flame - RondoMusic.com

shipped out this morning, hopefully here by friday or monday!

How does everyone feel about Agile? I've played them, I have friends that have them, and they seem very solid. Definitely an upgrade from my Douglas Scope 727.

I also have had my eye on this thing for a couple weeks now. When you said there are only 2 more in stock I had to hurry and jump on it haha luckily my wonderful wife was understanding of me having to take a little money out of savings! :fever: Can't wait!

drewlarussa

Reaction score
I also have had my eye on this thing for a couple weeks now. When you said there are only 2 more in stock I had to hurry and jump on it haha luckily my wonderful wife was understanding of me having to take a little money out of savings! :fever: Can't wait!

Awesome! review it after you get it.

Pinhead

Reaction score
Crap. Guys, make sure your billing address is the same as shipping address. I made a mistake thinking it was fine to ship to my new apartment but it created a problem. So my order has been kicked back about 4 days. I guess that's what I get for sending stuff to my parent's house still..

drewlarussa

Reaction score
Crap. Guys, make sure your billing address is the same as shipping address. I made a mistake thinking it was fine to ship to my new apartment but it created a problem. So my order has been kicked back about 4 days. I guess that's what I get for sending stuff to my parent's house still..
mine got pushed back a day because, I used my girlfriends card, because mine has a spending cap each day(stupid shit) and since her card's address is at her moms house, we had to have it shipped to a ups store.

Pinhead

Reaction score
mine got pushed back a day because, I used my girlfriends card, because mine has a spending cap each day(stupid shit) and since her card's address is at her moms house, we had to have it shipped to a ups store.

I should've just had them ship it to the ups. I read on the ups site that you can have your package as a "will call" and pick it up at the ups depot before the delivery date, so I decided that'd be the best way to go because it's in a place about 15 minutes from my house. I drove out there to get it but it was still on the truck and won't be unloaded for another two days. Retarded. Guess I have to keep waiting.. :noway:

InVinoVeritasXXX

Reaction score
I have a 725 Septor and I love the poop out of it. The pickups are crap, but those are easily upgradeable anyways. If you're looking for a cheap ERG, Agile is where it's at. It won't be a Prestige/BFR/custom, but it'll be be better than most of the other offerings in its price range.

')