(Sort Of) N00b Needs amp

• Thread starter BatuK
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BatuK

Reaction score
Hi guise.

I've been playing guitar for a while now, but never really bothered to practice alot until about 6 months ago, and decided I am in serious need of an amp that is better than the 10W Practice that came with the Squier Strat pack.

I play pretty much everything, ranging from soft acoustic stuff to Metal. (Djent too) and am looking in the price range of about £150 ish ($230USD/€175). This can vary, if the amp is worth the extra bit of money.

I was initially looking at the Peavey Vypyr 30 and the Line 6 Spider 30, can anyone help out with this? :)

TL;DR: Looking for solidstate amp at about £150 for all types of music

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Vypyr is good. Lots of options.

Line 6 Spider is ok. Not as many options as the peavey.

Roland Cube is also a good choice.

steve1

Reaction score
do you definately want/need an amp? you could get something like a line 6 gx studio + pod farm software. great for practising with headphones and good for starting out doing some recording.

Maybe something to look into.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Fender Mustang II 12in speaker + usb interface for recording. Best cheap bit of modelling gear going right now.

xxGuy

Reaction score
I would go with a cube or an older Marshall valvestate combo.

Geetarism

Reaction score
Not exactly what you asked for, but I chose to go with a multieffects pedal with earphone capability. Great for practicing and can play any time day or night. I went from Line 6 floor pod to digitech rp5oo with USB interface for recording.

More directly to your point, I just bought my first amp for electric guitar. I was on a SERIOUS budget and bought a Raven RG100 solid state amp on craigs list for $80!.It is 100 watts n 2x12. I believe it is the Guitar Center brand and may be affiliated with Crate. Not bad for a budget amp, loud as shit but not the same class of sound as marshall, fender or Line 6 ( I think). It works great for me as I still practice mainly with headphones. I would also suggest cragis list to buy as long as you know your product and your prices. take your time trying out all the knobs, inputs etc. The same amp I bought was being sold used at GC for like 175.

Check out the youtube reviews on amps. I found them helpful as well. I really like the guys at: rockongoodpeople's Channel - YouTube

Good luck brother!!

Nesty

Reaction score
Look into the Line 6 pod for some decent varied sounds. I assume this is for only practising at the house?

It's great for any beginners to check out various effects/cabs/amps to give you an insight into everything. After a few months you'll get the idea of what you like and don't like. Also VST plugins such as Le pou are fucking awesome (free too)

Alternatively, amp wise, check out the peavey vyper and roland cube. Both very good practice amps which sounds a whole lot better than the line 6 spider.

I

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you want a solid state metal amp, then check out the Randall RG75! Underrated amp imo.. I think you'd manage to find one used n your budget.
Other wise I use my POD XT into my crappy Marshall MG or e TOnepurt UX1+PODfar for home practice when I cant crank my tube amp. Works great for me, but I cant guarantee anything. The Spider amps is kinda in the same gate, so check it out too.
If you dont want too much modelling, Tech21 have som great small transistor amps.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
')