Sound clips - Blackjack/JB vs Hellraiser/707 vs Universe/Blaze

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
So Drew, this is just the Nomad with an SM57 and the guitars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. No bass, and quickly sequenced drums with a touch of 'verb on them. I hit the mix with a multi-band compressor and a volume maximizer, but that was the extent of it.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just listened to these again and I like the Blackjack the best, it just sounds low and monstrous. The hellraiser is good but has this weird like clack thing or whatever which annoyed the hell out of me. The UV was almost like the BJ but not nearly as awesome.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
That 'clack' seems really pronounced on Drew's amp. I'm doubting many of us, especially with the gain and settings we like, would experience it.

le_ackt

Le-ackt
Reaction score
Seymour Duncan JB
Blaze
EMG

I think the EMG might be better suited for Live ~ somehow it's more detailed ~ i know the pick noise is much annoying , but recording and live is a different story ~ although I am all for Seymour Duncan ~ Live playing prolly could be benefit from the compressed sound of the EMG
but i m not sure that's the case , EMG suppose to be flat ~ not sure how well it cut thru with the whole band compare to JB and Blaze
my Schecter with JB in bridge is very sharp and bottom heavy ~ and it proved to sit well in a band mix ~

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That 'clack' seems really pronounced on Drew's amp. I'm doubting many of us, especially with the gain and settings we like, would experience it.

Well, yes and no. It's a property of the pickup and not my amp. However, I also rarely run the gain above 6 on the amp, so if you were to crank it up to 8 or 9, it WOULD diminish significantly. Would it still be there? Yes, just not as pronounced as the amp became more compressed and darker.

And this is why I no longer own the Hellraiser - I was happier with the tones I was getting from the other two at gain levels I was more comfortable at. I could have jacked the gain way up and screwed with the EQ until I got something tolerable, but I wouldn't have been as happy with lead tones set like this, and it wouldn't have sounded like "me."

le_ackt - a tilda (~) and a period (.) are not the same thing, dude. ;)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think your amp and settings emphasize it, however. It would be interesting to A/B it with my rig.

:idea: Steal a Hellraiser and come to Mass!

:woohoo:

*ahem* I mean, thank you for the compliment about how touch-sensitive my rig is, good sir, and how I've optimized it to allow the natural tone of the guitar and of my hands to shine through. :agreed:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
*ahem* I mean, thank you for the compliment about how touch-sensitive my rig is, good sir, and how I've optimized it to allow the natural tone of the guitar and of my hands to shine through. :agreed:

That's probably a really good description.

:idea: Hows about you buy me a Hellraiser with your new-fangled 'accounting' :)fawk:) job and I'll come to Mass to pick it up!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was actually being a jackass, Bob, but thank you. :fawk:

New-fangled? I've been here for just over a year, bro... Like a year and three months. :lol:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I was actually being a jackass, Bob, but thank you. :fawk:

New-fangled? I've been here for just over a year, bro... Like a year and three months. :lol:

Great! Then you'll have plenty of savings stored up for the "Let Bob Play A Hellraiser (And Own It, Too!) Fund!" :lol:

le_ackt

Le-ackt
Reaction score
is EMG HZ-7 uses the 35 Extended bass housing or regular 7 pick up size?

drew : Sorry about the sloppiness in my writing , i'll pay more attention to that .

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
Wow a truly stunning comparison fantastic job DREW!:yesway:
To me the 707 had more grind
The JB more growl with slightly rounder tone shape (smooth)
The Blaze was similar but did not have the grind, bite, or growl the jb and 707 have. However, the blaze sounds shelved but the mids are just barely -not present enough.

')