Sound difference between 6505/5150 & 6505+/5150ii

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
after having tried out my bandmate's 5150ii extensively, i fell i love with the tone and decided to sell my fireball to fund either a 6505 or a 6505ii (or the 5150 counterparts, respectively), which i still can't decide...

I haven't got the chance to try a mki 5150 or 6505, so is there a noticeable sound difference?

from what i've read so far, the mki version is supposed to be more agressive, a bit less tight, and more raw. Has anybody compared both amps and can confirm this? Or is it maybe just a matter or biasing/retubing?

i'm really NOT interested in the extra features if the mkii (or 'plus') version, since i'll only be using the lead channel. The only reason i would prefer the mkii is that it already comes with adjustable bias.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSilence

Reaction score
I love the tone of my 5150II so far, would be interesting to compared it to an original 5150, but I am not sure I will get the chance, they are meant to be really hard to find over here.

ToTheCore92

Pwnage :]
Reaction score
I have never found a differance between the 6505 and 5150, pretty much the same amp just differant names. hmm that funny, i found that the mki version took out some of the agressiveness of the 5150/6505. and i found that the 5150 was a little more agressive than the 5150 II, but they both sound amazing. very affordable also

The Rhone

Reaction score
I have 5150 mark one and tone wise it's my favorite of the lot. There's not a world of difference between them really, but recording I will always use the Mark 1, live any one will do, they're the daddy's of all high gain amps!

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Unless the guiatr center near me has a bad 6505+, I know my 5150 fucking kills it. Or atleast in getting the tone I was going for.

In terms of gain, My 5 was that 6505+'s 7.5, not a deal breaking point, but I found it odd. Pluss, anything beyond that is just gain that you use to brag about.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
Basically the dirty channel sounds very similar. They both have more gain then anyone would ever need! It all boils down to this: If you want a 5150/6505 with a somewhat better clean channel, get the ii/+.

Oh yeah, the footpedals and knobs may make a difference:

5150/6505 = two button switch: channel and fx loop
ii/+ = 3 button switch. channel, fx loop, and the ability to switch the clean channel between clean-clean and overdrive-clean.

I've owned both (currently own the mk1). I wish the MK1 had a footswitch like the ii/+.

Also, you have separate EQ and Res/Pres knobs for each channel. The regular shares the eq knobs. But then again, if you want a better clean channel...

And don't forget that the combos have a reverb knob.

EDIT: the overdrive-clean sounded more "classic Marshally" than any current Marshall to my ears.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The difference between them is negligible, especially when you factor in guitar, effects, cabs, and fingers. I've played the 6505+ and 5150II extensively, and the 5150 a little bit less, yet to play a 6505 though. From what I've seen they are just about the same once EQ'd properly. They aren't carbon copies but have the same "vibe" as far as base tone goes. I do have a personal preference for the 6505+, but that's just me.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
Now that I've owned both, I like the +/ii better. I've customized my mk1 too much to let go though.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
thx for your help guys :yesway:

it looks like i'll be getting whatever comes at a good price first :D

manicsix

Reaction score
Another vote for the 6505+/5150II.

I've played them side by side and found that I liked the lead tone of the mkII over the mkI, and having the two dedicated eqs and notable cleans put the icing on the cake.

I also feel (and so do some others) that the mkII has a better lead tone at low volumes.

Cranked up, I can appreciate that there would be minimal difference between the two, though.

THM Bryce

Reaction score
The original 5150's were definitely a lot "meaner" sounding than the 5150ii's which also tend to be quite a bit muddier. The 6505's are very cool and the clean channel is definitely improved, but when you are using it for high gain stuff the 5150 is still a little bit more aggressive.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
The original 5150's were definitely a lot "meaner" sounding than the 5150ii's which also tend to be quite a bit muddier. The 6505's are very cool and the clean channel is definitely improved, but when you are using it for high gain stuff the 5150 is still a little bit more aggressive.

thanks man. i apprectiate your comment, but this thread is over one year old :lol:

Latest posts

')