Sound difference between KM7 MK1 vs MK2?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah, kind of unbelievable that they did that. I don't even care about the crappy cables...lol. Went back and looked at the listing which was miraculously still open on my desktop, and saw they listed it as "Great" condition. Even without the neck dings I'm not sure that I'd consider it "Great" with a bum vol pot, some light corrosion on the pups, and a worn down spot on the bridge finish. Not being picky, but my MK1 is in great condition and was a bit cheaper, so I'm spoiled.

So we'll see if the neck dings are a deal breaker. They're kind of in the worst spot possible for a death metal guitarist...lol. My thumb goes right to the deepest one when I play anything on the 1-3 frets. Their tech is going to check it out and see if it can be filled or minimized in some way. So we'll see. The other thing that stood out to me, was some big gaps in the grain of the wenge stripes. Not a huge deal but noticeable...especially since I've played my MK1 enough that the satin finish has gone to a slight smooth gloss.

I'll definitely eventually grab a JP7...really got my eyes on the JPXI. I just love the black and chrome color combo on those. I have a JP13 6 string that I love. It pretty much replaced my Parkers when I got it. So getting a EBMM 7 is a pretty big pull. Just a matter of whether to go ahead and do it now or not. But then I'll start doing trem bar stuff, and then we'll start playing shows and I'll feel like I need a back up...and then....and then...

We're all in agreement, this gear thing never ends right? :banana:
Honestly man, it sounds like it might be worth going for a JP7. It's not worth going through the whole song and dance to eventually get the guitar you truly want. Trust me, I just did this in the past 2 months. Many guitar trades/sales later I finally found what I was looking for, but man if I could go back I'd just go for it from the start.

Also to note on the wenge, that's just how wenge is. I have my KM7 MKII and I just bought a Mayones with an all wenge neck. The grain is very noticeable. Honestly though, I really enjoy the feel of the grain. Just something about it that's nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Honestly man, it sounds like it might be worth going for a JP7. It's not worth going through the whole song and dance to eventually get the guitar you truly want. Trust me, I just did this in the past 2 months. Many guitar trades/sales later I finally found what I was looking for, but man if I could go back I'd just go for it from the start.

Also to note on the wenge, that's just how wenge is. I have my KM7 MKII and I just bought a Mayones with an all wenge neck. The grain is very noticeable. Honestly though, I really enjoy the feel of the grain. Just something about it that's nice.

This is true about wenge. It is very, very grgrai. I have a couple of custom basses that are like that. Come can't stand the feel of wenge, but I like it. Plus, it has has a pleasant effect to add a lot of focus to the low end.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
So yeah...JPXI 7 string incoming. Ding in the KM7 MK2 neck, along with a few other issues made me bite the bullet and upgrade. Been playing my JP13 6 string a bit this week, and man, it's just an excellent instrument. Looking forward to an EBMM 7 string alongside my KM7 MK1. Thanks for the help all!

')