Southern metal?

• Thread starter alexmurphy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean country metal, i mean metal that is either heavily influenced by the south (be it deserts, trailer parks...anything with an overall "dirty" tone would work). Every Time I Die is about the only band i know that can even take claim to being southern metal, and even in their case I don't see it much. Anyone have some examples? I'd love to hear what the world of metal has to offer in this case. :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Pantera and Lamb of God? (I really don't know)

Reaction score
Check out Breaux. They're the best elements of MATSOD and ETID mashed together in my opinion. They're a somewhat small band, but their Brown Bag EP was definitely one of my favorite releases from 2009.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Alabama Thunderpussy
Down
Clutch
Maylene And The Sons of Disaster
Lamb of God
Damageplan
Hellyeah
Nine Pound Hammer (these guys did the theme for 12oz Mouse :metal:)
Pride and Glory
Ted Nugent (more rock but still)

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
Seriously, you must of heard Pantera. Definitely southern metal (See the album "The Great Southern Trendkill).

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
+1 for DOWN
Amazing band...absolutely great stuff. :hbang:
Though, there's so much going on there, I don't know if they'd fit under just 'Southern Metal'
All you need to know is Anselmo + Keenan + Windstein + Brown + Bower = fykkin amazin'!:shred:

Desert-influenced stuff? how about some nice and sludgey KYUSS?! They pretty much ARE the desert...in sonic format.

...and then of course there's Radiohead, who belongs at the top of this list. :lol:

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
Alabama Thunderpussy
Down
Clutch
Maylene And The Sons of Disaster
Lamb of God
Damageplan
Hellyeah
Nine Pound Hammer (these guys did the theme for 12oz Mouse :metal:)
Pride and Glory
Ted Nugent (more rock but still)

Okay, this list just dominated all us slower folk...though I wouldn't put LoG on there personally...but this could be one of my many deep seeded personal issues

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I changed it a bit. Sorry if i offended anyone

Maylene = Win! im gettig a cd by them right fucking now.
Clutch = not as impressive, but i'll get a cd nonetheless.

It's cool, just wasn't sure what you meant by it :lol:

Clutch is pretty awesome, more chill-out groove than thrashy, but the album "Blast Tyrant" is great to get you in a good mood when played loud.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, this list just dominated all us slower folk...though I wouldn't put LoG on there personally...but this could be one of my many deep seeded personal issues

Redneck for me sells it, plus they're really open about being from...I believe they put it, "Richmond-mother-fucking-Virginia" :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I changed it a bit. Sorry if i offended anyone

Maylene = Win! im gettig a cd by them right fucking now.
Clutch = not as impressive, but i'll get a cd nonetheless.

Newer Clutch to me is better, check out some of their stuff from either "Strange Cousins From The West" or "From Beale Street to Oblivion"

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
I don't mean country metal, i mean metal that is either heavily influenced by the south (be it deserts, trailer parks...anything with an overall "dirty" tone would work). Every Time I Die is about the only band i know that can even take claim to being southern metal, and even in their case I don't see it much. Anyone have some examples? I'd love to hear what the world of metal has to offer in this case. :shred:

Pretty sure ETID is from Buffalo. How are they southern metal? Just wondering. :scratch:

')