Southern metal?

• Thread starter alexmurphy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
:yesway: I would definitely consider LoG a southern band, especially on Sacrament. The riffs are extremely bluesy and the lyrics have always seemed to have a southern edge to it. (particularly on Sacrament and As the Palaces Burn)

"This guy gets it"

Mark was actually the dude who got me to play guitar and I remember picking it up DURING my watching of the Killadelphia DVD. I already owned Ashes of the Wake and As The Palace Burns, and it seems like all his solos have a real bluesy feel to them as do the songs he writes; and blues was a genre my dad raised me on so it was a natural inspiration for someone who PLAYS metal but combines blues into it - to inspire me

I totally forgot about Weedeater. Not sure if Bongzilla are also southerners or not, they have a sludgey-groove to them but may not qualify.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I don't like southern rock, southern food, southern weather, southern politics and southern comfort. Not surprising that I don't like southern metal.

Ironbird666

Reaction score
I don't like southern rock, southern food, southern weather, southern politics and southern comfort. Not surprising that I don't like southern metal.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but if you don't like the music we're discussing in the thread why bother to look?? :scratch:

Anyways, more sludge than southern metal but I didn't see anyone mention Acid Bath yet so this thread is borderline epic fail . . . :fawk:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

A worthy contribution to the thread. I'll have to look up that band you mentioned.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a flame war, but if you don't like the music we're discussing in the thread why bother to look?? :scratch:

Anyways, more sludge than southern metal but I didn't see anyone mention Acid Bath yet so this thread is borderline epic fail . . . :fawk:

To be honest I had not heard southern metal before, so I gave it a listen. I didn't like it. No flaming here. No problem.

Ironbird666

Reaction score
To be honest I had not heard southern metal before, so I gave it a listen. I didn't like it. No flaming here. No problem.

Cool deal dude, I'll give you props for at least listening. No worries, it's definitely not for everyone.

Reaction score
A worthy contribution to the thread. I'll have to look up that band you mentioned.

No need to be a dick. Aren't you allowed to post unless you agree? Pfft.

Clutch are about my favourite although I wouldn't call them metal, like Crowbar but don't listen to them very often. Cheers for the reccomendations folks.:yesway:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
No need to be a dick. Aren't you allowed to post unless you agree? Pfft.

His post wasn't just about not liking southern metal, it was a dig at southern culture. Not that it was highly insulting. I was just being sort of a wise-ass.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
His post wasn't just about not liking southern metal, it was a dig at southern culture. Not that it was highly insulting. I was just being sort of a wise-ass.

I guess I was being sort of a wise-ass too.

I travel throughout the south fairly often on business. Having a culture unique to a region and being proud of it is all good. I've always been treated well by people there.

On the other hand, I get awfully sick and tired of running into people who want to rewrite the history of the Civil War. A disasterous war costing 600,000 lives. Started by the south's rich powerful elite in a failed attempt to hold on to the slave economy that made them rich and powerful. To this day, there are assholes like Texas Gov. Perry who haven't had enough of this shit and spout secessionist crap. They use the southern cultural pride to cover their own greed and hate.

So, I didn't mean anything personal, but this stuff has been on my mind.

I did give the music a listen, and just didn't care for it.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
To this day, there are assholes like Texas Gov. Perry who haven't had enough of this shit and spout secessionist crap.

Perry talking about secession has nothing to do with notions of racism or a return to dixie-south. It was a response to the people's feelings on the bailouts and towards growing federalism in general. Nothing about wanting to represent the people who elected you says "asshole," well not to me anyway.

metalmachine

Reaction score

thats ok becuase in the words of lynryd skynrd

"southern Man dont need him around any how"

if you dont know that lyric you probally dont like much classic rock then

DethCaek

Reaction score
Acid Bath. You guys are leaving out some legends.

Church of Misery (actually from Japan, huge southern influence though)

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Perry talking about secession has nothing to do with notions of racism or a return to dixie-south. It was a response to the people's feelings on the bailouts and towards growing federalism in general. Nothing about wanting to represent the people who elected you says "asshole," well not to me anyway.

If that were true then how come we didn't hear Perry ranting to the national media when Bush started the bail outs (with zero accountability) and did more to spend money and increase federalism than just about any prior president. I don't buy it. Perry is the worst kind of demagogue.

')