Southern metal?

• Thread starter alexmurphy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmachine

Reaction score
this is supposed to be about southern metal. not about a yankee bitchin about southern politics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
If that were true then how come we didn't hear Perry ranting to the national media when Bush started the bail outs (with zero accountability) and did more to spend money and increase federalism than just about any prior president. I don't buy it. Perry is the worst kind of demagogue.

Because the public outcry didn't start until the "tea-parties." It was an entirely political calculation. Perry seizes on any opportunity to make himself a man of the people. You should see some of the ridiculous ads he runs. Anyway, my point was that the talks of secession had nothing to do with racism or the south "rising again." I take offense anyone that tries to classify all southerners that way.

Back on topic;

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Because the public outcry didn't start until the "tea-parties." It was an entirely political calculation. Perry seizes on any opportunity to make himself a man of the people. You should see some of the ridiculous ads he runs. Anyway, my point was that the talks of secession had nothing to do with racism or the south "rising again." I take offense anyone that tries to classify all southerners that way.

With apologies to all for this sideline discussion...

We can disagree on politics, and that's fine. But don't be so quick to take offense to something I never said and never implied. I don't see all southerners that way. Nor even is secession necessarily racist, though you have to admit it has roots in the Confederate tradition. What secssion is however, is anti-American, treasonous and incredibly reckless. It offends me as an American.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
New Englanders but with a clear Southern bent:

Scissorfight!

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
Nice to see Southern Metal getting some love. Also good to see Zoroaster's latest posted up top. That video wins.

You guys that dig this shit should probably keep an eye on this if you haven't already.

Ok, i didn't see this until just now. You are a badass, good sir. Thank you for putting this up! I never even heard of it till now. :hbang:

controversyking

ss.org regular
Reaction score
Lamb of God
Alabama Thunderpussy
Pantera
Valient Thorr (from North Carolina but have that Southern Groove)
Baroness are from the south but I'm not sure if they carry that Southern tone/vibe you're referring to.

the red rocket

Reaction score
i wouldn't consider lamb of god southern metal, they are from virginia yeas, but their music is mostly about politics and stuff, not the southern lifstyle

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
i wouldn't consider lamb of god southern metal, they are from virginia yeas, but their music is mostly about politics and stuff, not the southern lifstyle

Who said anything about necessarily lyrical interpretation? It's all about the SOUND not necessarily the meaning ;) I mean look at half the other mentions in this thread, sure a majority of them have songs about the south (as Lamb of God do which has already been discussed) but songs by bands that have been mentioned like Acid Bath's "Dr. Seuss is Dead" or CoC's "Clean My Wounds" do those really sound like they'll have southern messages?

JoePayne

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
My band, Pain After Death, has lot of Southern Metal Parts mixed in with the other 4 or 5 types of genres we touch upon. We write riffs that some might even consider "ripping off" Pantera, but we see it as paying homage to some of the Gods of Metal. Metal be thy name!

www.Myspace.com/PainAfterDeathNC check it out and give me some feedback. Positive or Negative is cool. :hbang:

JoePayne

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
Our meanings in Pain After Death lyrics usually equate to: 1) Life is difficult but worth living, 2) Value human life, 3) Relax and try to have fun every chance you get, 4) Try to be a decent and cognitive human being. yeah.

the red rocket

Reaction score
Who said anything about necessarily lyrical interpretation? It's all about the SOUND not necessarily the meaning ;) I mean look at half the other mentions in this thread, sure a majority of them have songs about the south (as Lamb of God do which has already been discussed) but songs by bands that have been mentioned like Acid Bath's "Dr. Seuss is Dead" or CoC's "Clean My Wounds" do those really sound like they'll have southern messages?

none of the bands mentioned on this thread sound anything like LoG, morton does do the occasional pantera-esque pentatonic lead, but thats more from originally being a jazz guitarist than from a southern influence

')