Spalted Maple, Black Limba, Quilt 7-String

• Thread starter skate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skate

Reaction score
I have been building for about 2 years now and thought I would try something new(new for me at least).

Specs:
7-String 27"scale length
Body: Black Limba
Top: Maple Quilt
Neck: Flamed Maple
Fingerboard: Spalted Maple :nuts:
24 frets, Jumbo Fretwire
3-way toggle, Master Volume
Bareknuckle Pickups
Hipshot Bridge

Lets get Started!!!

CIMG1128.jpg

CIMG1152.jpg

CIMG1164.jpg

CIMG1176.jpg

CIMG1181.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

Photo0050.jpg

Photo0406.jpg

Photo0299.jpg

Photo0301.jpg

Photo0326.jpg

Photo0327.jpg

Photo0377.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
Now that's interesting ... I was just recently asking myself, how it would affect the sound (or if), if you would used spalted or, traditionally speaking even worse, burled wood for a fingerboard?

I mean, the consistency is undeniably different, plus the glue to "fix" the wood, ect...

But MAN that looks hot O.O

mwcarl

Reaction score
I guess you'll find out, but with my experiences with spalted wood, I would never personally use it for any part of the guitar that experiences any kind of tension/force. So a neck or fretboard would be out of the question, remember that the fretboard has the truss rod pressing against it, which could cause the wood to break. It does depend on the strength/stability of the particular piece of wood though. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
You got some bals using spalted maple for a fretboard. Make sure you glue the frets in! Lol

That top looks stunning, and is gonna pop like crazy when you dye it!! Looks good so far!

ECGuitars

Reaction score
Yeah I would NOT have used a spalted wood for a fretboard, ever. You may get lucky or may not, spalt and especially burl are unstable and weaker than regular wood. Spalt, after all, is a disease of the wood causing it to rot.

luthierjules

luthier/designer
Reaction score
Can I date that wood?:lol:

There is one thing I find "funny", though. From my experience, it is much easier to sculpt/route the neck pocket and pickup cavities when the body is still a blank rectangle of some sort. But still, I understand the urge to shape things down! :)

I'll keep checking back, I promise!

Levi79

Reaction score
Definitely keeping a close eye on this one. Whether it is a wise choice or not, the spalted maple board is going to look insane.

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Spalted Maple Fretboard = Genius.
Thats the first time I've seen that and it looks killer.

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
ohhh man. That spalted maple board is gorgeous, and genius! Best of luck, i bet this guitar is going to look tits. Make me one ;)

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Yes you obviously have a few too many boards. You should send 1 or 2 of them to me right away.

:)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Is the spalt going to be treated with acrylic? If that's the case I think it would be OK, but otherwise I'd be pretty hesitant to use it on a FB.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...omizations/199552-siggery-8-string-build.html
This is the only other instance of a spalted maple board I've heard of (though I have heard of people putting a spalted maple veneer over ebony or some such), but when they received the guitar it was defective somehow and they sent it back. Never really heard what was wrong with it, though he said that the fretboard wasn't the problem... anyway, looking good so far!

')