SPDIF Audio Interface Recommendation

• Thread starter BaylorPRSer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
Looking to track dry guitars and vocals and use free amp, cab, disto pedal sims, etc. Want it to be spdif, but I'm on a budget. Anyone have a suggestion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
A used Eleven Rack gives you all those things and can be had for very little money if they don't come with ProTools.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Could you pleas clarify exactly what you mean when you say you want it to be SPDIF? You just mean you want it to include SPDIF, right?
USB or Firewire?

enghell

Funeral Doom
Reaction score
S/PDIF can be both coaxial (most common I think) or TOSLINK. Which do you need/prefer?

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
S/PDIF can be both coaxial (most common I think) or TOSLINK. Which do you need/prefer?

I believe that is correct. It can't be USB or Firewire to my knowledge.

I'm thinking toslink is the better of the two....then again, I could be wrong.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Indeed, I wasn't saying it like that :)
I was asking rather, do you want a USB or Firewire interface with SPDIF? As the way the question is phrased almost sounded like OP is looking for an interface which connects to the computer with SPDIF

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
yea i was thinking i'd go quarter inch into noise gate, and boss ge 7, quarter inch out to interface, interface into pc via spdif. it's my understanding that u get a "slight" boost in quality going spdif as opposed to usb and firewire. i know for a fact that spdif is the best option if i were to use my pod but i think i just want to keep it simple as .... and build my tone in the DAW with plugins and free amp/cab/disto pedal sims. i figured if i was going to use an interface and skip the pod spdif would still be a little bit of an upgrade.

p.s. reason i'm not using my pod is for simplicity and also i only have one and it sits in a jam space in my rack.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Gotcha. I did wonder. There will be no difference in quality between SPDIF and USB or Firewire. They are digital signals, i.e. the analog signal is converted to digital when it enters the device, and how it is transferred to the computer from there will not affect quality. I see no reason to use SPDIF - it will be less flexible with the features offered by the audio interface such as monitoring etc.
The SPDIF connections on an interface are generally for connecting a different digital device, or running to another dedicated interface whilst minimizing digital to analog conversions. I.e if you have an 8 channel Focusrite for use with a bunch of things but wish to use a POD for guitar tones, you are best running SPDIF from the POD to the Focusrite rather than converting to analog output and then back to digital into the Focusrite.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
If you had an audio interface with SPDIF like you are looking for though, you are best off using that all the time because it will have better drivers (stability, latency) than the soundcard. With an audio interface connected, the computer may as well not even have a soundcard :)

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
gotcha i use a scarlett 2i2 at the moment. i was going from the pod into the interface with guitar cables, but i recently dropped the pod and used vst plugins. tones were great, but my pc sucks so hard i couldn't do much with it crapping out at 6 or so plugins.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
It's worth looking at the Native instruments Komplete audio 6. They are really cheap after they dropped the price, you get 6 in 6 out, 4 of that is analogue and 2 is spdif (I have my kemper permanently hooked up to the SPDIF). it also has 2 mic pre amps with pads on the front so you can plug straight in with guitars.

I showed it to Paul aka Chimp Spanner and he went and bought one haha, great little unit. Built like an absolute tank too.

manana

Reaction score
AFAIK SPDIF has clock issues or something to consider, usb is WAY simpler.

flint757

Reaction score
If you're just plugging your guitar into an interface you don't need SPDIF at all. The interface should be going into the computer via usb or firewire already. You don't go SPDIF from interface to SPDIF on the computer, that'd be essentially going through 2 interfaces.

The only purpose of SPDIF is to avoid AD/DA conversions. Since your analog guitar signal is already converted to digital at that point it serves no benefit, but an addition obstacle between your guitar and your computer, likely increasing latency. Not to mention more potential for things to get messed up.

For you Pod you definitely should use SPDIF, BUT through the interface not your computer. Your interface is going to have higher quality converters, less latency issues, better drivers, etc. going through USB/firewire.

flint757

Reaction score
gotcha i use a scarlett 2i2 at the moment. i was going from the pod into the interface with guitar cables, but i recently dropped the pod and used vst plugins. tones were great, but my pc sucks so hard i couldn't do much with it crapping out at 6 or so plugins.

Using your pod or making do with the max number of plugins may be the easiest options for you until you update your rig.

Another option, if your goal is to mainly record, haven't tried it myself, would be to record your dry signal only or with just one or two plugins running then run your playback through a couple plug ins at a time while recording in the proper chain order you intended. This will allow you to use more plugins/effects while unloading some of the work off your computer. You won't be able to change or edit the plugin settings once you've finished, but it sounds like you've hit a wall at this point anyhow.

It's worth looking at the Native instruments Komplete audio 6. They are really cheap after they dropped the price, you get 6 in 6 out, 4 of that is analogue and 2 is spdif (I have my kemper permanently hooked up to the SPDIF). it also has 2 mic pre amps with pads on the front so you can plug straight in with guitars.

I showed it to Paul aka Chimp Spanner and he went and bought one haha, great little unit. Built like an absolute tank too.

I had considered getting one of those, but there were just too many bad reviews involving clipping, pops and latency issues. Made me a bit hesitant so I ended up with the Saffire Pro 24 when I was in the market for an interface

Either way the Scarlett 2i2 he already has is a solid, good interface.

')