Speaker cable question

• Thread starter Pensilac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pensilac

Reaction score
I bought myself a Mesa Recto 4x12 cab today used and it's my first time using a speaker cab. Unfortunately, since it is Sunday, none of the music stores around where I live were open.

I ended up going to bestbuy and could only find a cable by Hosa that was labeled "Audio". I asked the guy there and he had no idea about it.

On the package it says "Balaned Interconnect 1/4 in TRS to Same" and on the back it says that it is used to "interconnect pro audio gear with balanced phone jacks. Also may be used as a stereo interconnect".

I was wondering I could use this cable to connect my combo to the cab until next weekend when I can get a proper speaker cable? Just don't want to end up ruining my amp. :eek:

Link to the cable:
Pro Audio Gear: Hosa CSS-110 Audio Cable, 1/4" TRS (M) - 1/4" TRS (M), 10 ft

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

evilsaint

Reaction score
Just temporarily use your guitar cable and keep the volume down.

Death

Reaction score
You risk causing damage.

Do what your wallet can afford. It can wait a day I would think.

If you solder and just can't wait, steal an electrical cord from something and put the ends from the cord you bought on the electrical cord.

Pensilac

Reaction score
Just temporarily use your guitar cable and keep the volume down.

From what I've read, doing that is not a good idea as I could damage my amp. And as I am in the process of trying to sell it to fund the head to put on this thing, that would not be good.

You risk causing damage.

Do what your wallet can afford. It can wait a day I would think.

If you solder and just can't wait, steal an electrical cord from something and put the ends from the cord you bought on the electrical cord.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure what exactly it meant by "audio cable" on the package and neither did the guy at best buy. As much as I don't like it, I'm just going to have to wait till I can get to my local music store I guess

vick1000

Reaction score
Do not use an instrument or patch cable, they can increase impedance, and damage your output transformer. Buy or make a speaker cable.

evilsaint

Reaction score
From what I've read, doing that is not a good idea as I could damage my amp. And as I am in the process of trying to sell it to fund the head to put on this thing, that would not be good.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure what exactly it meant by "audio cable" on the package and neither did the guy at best buy. As much as I don't like it, I'm just going to have to wait till I can get to my local music store I guess

That "audio" cable from your link is shielded and having tiny AWG which is same as a regular guitar cable.
They stated as "audio" cable because it is wired in balance/stereo (TRS) signal.

Check out this link if you need more details about the differences between guitar cable and speaker cable.
Why Instrument Cables and Speaker Cables Aren
Guitar cable
cable1.jpg

Speaker cable
cable2.jpg

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Always use speaker cable! And buy a good one too, and then guard it with your life and don't let anyone steal it :)

I can recommend the planet waves ones, really nice and chunky.

If you want to make one, get good high quality jacks, and some good speaker cable. In a pinch you can use mains cable, or get cable from a pro audio shop (ie, the stuff hifi nerds use)

Pensilac

Reaction score

mongey

Reaction score
Always use speaker cable! And buy a good one too, and then guard it with your life and don't let anyone steal it :)

I can recommend the planet waves ones, really nice and chunky.

If you want to make one, get good high quality jacks, and some good speaker cable. In a pinch you can use mains cable, or get cable from a pro audio shop (ie, the stuff hifi nerds use)

+ 1 to this. and also dont forget to unplug it half drunk after a gig and pick up your head and break the plug off your expensive cable in the cab jack

HanShock

Reaction score
Don't use any instrument cable as speaker cable.
It not only sounds bad but also damages your transformer.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
As stated above, never use an instrument cable! A friend of mine blew up his head because he was using one for a while after his speaker cable crapped out on him.

Also, don't skimp out on a speaker cable.

Latest posts

')