Speaker Emulators/Simulators

• Thread starter ESPImperium
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Im currently sourcing and looking at different elements for a rack, and i was wondering if it was adviseable to have one of theese things in my rack?

I was thinking this would be a god send for recording as it would mean i could get plenty of power amp distortion as well as pre amp distortion and get a real sound from my amps in a recording.

Speaker Simulator with Loadbox 8 Ohms

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Yea the Palmers are great. As I understand, Tremonti uses them live... and when I heard him live, it sound freakin' sweet.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Marshall SE100 >*

Pros:

• sounds the best of all.
  • cheap

cons:

• active
  • heavy
  • 2U
  • discontinued for 20 years.
  • fuckin' heavy.
cf12.jpg

Search ebay for one. ;)
Ther's one for sale in switzerland atm for cheap. It's one of teh analog pieces of equipment I'm still not selling even if I'm 100% digital now. You never know... ^^

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Intresting.

Might just put a Plamer one in my rack, simply due to the fact they are do damnd handy and so damned convienient.

I guess i could run my Egnater tweaker into one and then run the simulator into the back end of my Mesa and use Egnater pre and the Egnater wouldnt blow. Would that be do-able?

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Lifeson uses them live too.

And he uses an Axe FX for back up...

I tried one of the Palmer PDI-09 and hated it... thin, fizzy... ugh... I don't know how Lifeson and Cantrell get their tones with it (referring to the Alice in Chains w/Gretchen Wilson doing Heart's "Barracuda" cover... find it on youtube...). Made me hesitant, but I'm still interested in the PGA-05.

The H&K Redbox was okay, but too thin for me as well...

The old ADA Microcab was brilliant with the MP-1 and my old GK stuff... recorded really well. Didn't work so well with the Theta. The old DMC Cab Tone worked wonders with the Theta.

I am LOVING the speaker sims in my Rocktron Xpression... just throwing that out there as another option. They work really well with the Theta and the Engl e530. Can only do line level... no loads...

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I own and use a palmer all the time. They're great as long as you use at least a 50-60 watt amp. My 15w Egnater Tweaker just doesn't cut the mustard; by the time you turn it up loud enough to get a good signal coming out of the Palmer, it's so squashy and overdriven it sounds like a fart.

My Peavey Ultra, on the other hand....very nice.

They REALLY streamline your live rig, and the FOH sound guy loves you if you use one. No mics to hassle with, no feedback to ring out, and level setting is easy.

Another cool thing to do is to run your loop fx after the Palmer. Delays, chorus, etc all sound really good if you put them in line between the palmer and the sound board. Just make sure the outputs for all of your patches are the same.

Reaction score

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I would love to have one that had the option of turning the speaker simulation part off entirely. Also, i would like a tube head to go with that :lol:

amarshism

Reaction score
Does he really use the Palmer though? I've tried them and absolutely hate them with a passion. Boxy and lifeless. Id rather go axefx. It's not that hard to put a 57 up. I've worked the big festivals and inspected the big guys rigs. I've never seen one of these actually being used.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
I sold my Palmer (PDI 03, blue with silver controls IIRC) almost instantly as it was such a disappointment. I was using it with a Dual Rectifier. It's possible I was using it wrong at the time, who knows?

Anyway, a lot has changed since then as you can use it as a load only, passing unfiltered signal to an impulse speaker cabinet in a DAW. I doubt it's built in filters, which simulate a cab with ressistors and capacitors or other circuit based trickery, can compete with impulse responses.

It's something I'm interested in trying again.

Torpedo PI
Torpedo PI-FREE | Two Notes Audio Engineering

Michael Wagner MW-1 Reamp Tool
Creation Audio Labs - Boutique Gear and Pro Audio Upgrades - Reamp you guitars with the best DI on the planet

Sequis Motherload
motherload

Thermionic culture
thermionicculture.com

Other links
KVR: Amp Sim + Hardware Pedals

Reamping: Do I need the Radial X-Amp? - Gearslutz.com

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Does he really use the Palmer though? I've tried them and absolutely hate them with a passion. Boxy and lifeless. Id rather go axefx. It's not that hard to put a 57 up. I've worked the big festivals and inspected the big guys rigs. I've never seen one of these actually being used.

The last youtube gear walk through I saw with Lifeson was, I believe, this current tour... he has no cabinets on stage, just matching washers/dryers that Geddy has on his side... all Palmer from his H&K heads...

57's don't work for me 'cause I can't crank my cabinets (apartment). But speaker simulators are great through studio monitors! (and I run my effects after my speaker sims too!)

Vinchester

Reaction score
I just bought a PGA-04 from Thomann. Still waiting to get home next month so I can try it :(

What audio interface do you guys plug it into? I mean PC workstation USB interface...

Latest posts

')