Speaker for AX8 bedroom jamming

• Thread starter progmetalhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,

I just recently bought an AX8 and wanted to get some sort of powered speaker setup (FRFR?) to accommodate it. I have no desire at all to buy a traditional amplifier.

This speaker would be almost entirely for bedroom jamming at lower volumes (in an apartment complex), although it would be good if it could get loud enough to play with my drummer friend in his garage.

I noticed Line 6 makes a product that is close to what I want (Soundsource). I like the small footprint, although the "space heater" aesthetic is a bit of a turn off. Further, even the smaller unit (L2) seems like it may be a bit of overkill for my purposes from a volume perspective.

Is there any other speakers to pair with my AX8 that are worth checking out? I want a small unit (one piece only), with a small footprint. Price doesn't really matter to me (within reason).

Thanks for your input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

penguin_316

Reaction score
I use the Alto 115 and 112 monitors. The 112 will be more what you'd need however, at whisper volumes there is some hum from them. Can't beat the price for value though...imo

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The Atomic CLR is quite popular amongst those on the fractal forum. Not cheap though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you want a powered floor monitor (wedge), not just any old powered speaker. I could be wrong though, I am not using such a unit myself.

A-Branger

Reaction score
do you have a home recording settup? likea computer interface with some monitors? just play it trough them

if not, maybe you need some nice studio monitors first. This would work for you to play the AX8 trough, listen music on your computer the way it supposed to, be able to do some mixing. Plus killer sound for movie watching too ;)

vick1000

Reaction score
Studio monitors are great for modeling, but none of them get very loud, and won't hold up to a drummer live.

The L6 Soundsource are not worth the money, and are unreliable in my research.

Best option is the Xi-tone wedges, or CLR, but they are very pricey at well over a grand a piece. The next best thing seems to be the Yamaha DXR10s.

I just gave up and went back to power amp and guitar cab, limiting but more realistic in tone. I am not looking to emulate any one elses tone though.

More info here...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/amps-and-cabs.37/

A-Branger

Reaction score
I know studio monitor are not loud enough for drumer jamming. And heck, I wont recomend to be taking those in and out of the house like an amp.

But its a great solution for your room/house, and they do can get pretty dam loud in your bedroom. Plus they serve heaps more purpose than jsut for playing your guitar trough.

For jamming with a drummer, jsut get any cheap PA monitor (they are build for voice and music playing so it shouldnt color the sound too much). Wont be 100% pure FRFR studio perfection, but you are jaming with a drummer, you dont really need 100% perfect flat response, you just need something good and loud. Plus if you eventually are getting a singer, you guys can use it for it too. Or if you guys are just going to reharsal rooms, then just plug your AX8 to the PA, or turn the cab off and use whatever amp they have in there. When time comes to play live, plus direct into console and use the monitor wedges to listen yourself like a singer would, or jsut bring your PA monitor if you want bit more control. Thats for stage only, as your front of house sound would be nice and clean direct from your AX8.

DarthV

Reaction score
Get a nice pair of FRFR speakers and then just rent a PA speaker when you want to jam?

PBGas

Reaction score
Skip the L6. I hated it with my Kemper. It would squash at higher volumes with lower turnings. Great suggestions with the Xitone. Another is some of the EV stuff.

')