Speaker for cab and running a amp head?

• Thread starter rudeez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rudeez

vildhjarta
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Just bought myself a Blackstar HT-5 amphead. It's a 5W tube head.
Outputs on the back are 1x 16 ohm and 1x 8 ohm.
Im all new to tubestuff, only owned a line6 spider 2 combo before and after only a podxt live board. I read that i MUST have a cab connected in order to use the head so the outputs have load on them. Load dummys are expensive.
Can't afford a cab atm but wanna try the head out using the headphones output.
What i do have tho is a "GAS" 10" speaker saying 180W 8ohm on it. I figured that i could just sodler a 1/4 plug on it and use it as load but still use headphoes out? (hopefully the head turn speaker out off when plugging something in phones out)

Would this work or will i burn the head?

//Jimmie

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crewyth

Reaction score
Hi,

I have that amp too and had also the same situation as you, head without a cab. I did some searching then and found out the following:

"Thank you for purchasing a Blackstar HT5.

Plugging a jack plug (mono or stereo) into the emulated output socket of the
HT-5 mutes the HT-5 power amplifier, and in this state it is safe to use the
HT-5 without a loudspeaker plugged into the speaker output jacks of the unit.
However we advise that you always have a speaker cab connected to the HT5 as a precaution, in case you remove the jack from the emulated output socket without a speaker connected. This will cause damage to the HT5 output stage.

I hope this helps if you need any further help or advice, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks again.

Gaz from the Blackstar Team"

Someone from Finnish music site Muusikoiden.net's forums had sent mail to Blackstar. There was also advised that you should remember to plug the speaker cable off from the amp's speaker socket if you don't have any cab connected. Otherwise that power amplifier muting might not work. You could also try to get a line out box and use it as a precaution in speaker jack.

UralTone Line Out Box kit

')