Speaker Pairing Help Needed

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
So right now I am running a single 12" Cannibis Rex (50 watt, 8 ohm) in my Dr Z 2x12 Cab, and its time to add a 2nd speaker. I am looking for a bit more headroom. Cabinet is paired to a 45 watt Class A Dr Z. RxES head.

I am looking for for a good 12" 8 ohm (head will take a 4 ohm load). I play blues, rock, and metal. Both std 6 and a 7 string baritone. Any recommendations for what I should put in the cab?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
Maybe a Swamp Thang? I have one and it's very clean (it will NOT break up, 150 W power rating). It also has laid back mids and a nice sparkle in the highs, and a huge low end. It's in the Patriot line just like your Cannabis, so it may complement the sound. It's equally good for jazzy stuff as well as metal.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The amp itself has ZERO issues with highs and sparkle. I usually have to dial my treble back somewhere in between 4 and 5. Do you think the 150 wattage and the 50 watt speaker would give it a bit of character, ie some speaker breakup and some super clean.

If i am honest idealy I would love to run 2 75 to 100 watt speakers to keep things as clean as possible.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The amp itself has ZERO issues with highs and sparkle. I usually have to dial my treble back somewhere in between 4 and 5. Do you think the 150 wattage and the 50 watt speaker would give it a bit of character, ie some speaker breakup and some super clean.

If i am honest idealy I would love to run 2 75 to 100 watt speakers to keep things as clean as possible.

You may want to check out Celestion K100's then. Maybe Eminence Legend 75W's as well.

Regarding the Swamp Thang, I was running it in combination with a V30. It was an interesting combination of having the V30 sound (mid spike, breakup) with the Swamp Thang (no breakup, relaxed mids), but it wasn't for me and I ended up going with two V30s. I am happier with the two V30s, but let me tell you, the Swamp Thang sounded MASSIVE. Just stupid huge. in a good way :cool:

Latest posts

')