Speaker recommendations for metal rig?

hebing_rain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm getting a mesa 2:50 power amp to go with my Digitech GSP2101 tube preamp. When I played the digitech with an XLR out (speaker compensation off) to my interface with the IRs that come stock with the NadIR I had trouble getting a good metal rhythm sound with the distortion being a bit too muddy. After a few days I found that it's nothing that can't be fixed with a tube screamer.
What cabinet speakers can you recommend me for a Faceless/Necrophagist/Obscura type death metal tone? I think I'll go with a 2x12 but I'm not really sure. My favorite speakers which I've never heard in person are the Eminence CV-75s and the DV-77.
As for the guitar I play a sterling 7 string (tuned to A) that I'm in a pathological love/hate relationship with.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I'm getting a mesa 2:50 power amp to go with my Digitech GSP2101 tube preamp. When I played the digitech with an XLR out (speaker compensation off) to my interface with the IRs that come stock with the NadIR I had trouble getting a good metal rhythm sound with the distortion being a bit too muddy. After a few days I found that it's nothing that can't be fixed with a tube screamer.
What cabinet speakers can you recommend me for a Faceless/Necrophagist/Obscura type death metal tone? I think I'll go with a 2x12 but I'm not really sure. My favorite speakers which I've never heard in person are the Eminence CV-75s and the DV-77.
As for the guitar I play a sterling 7 string (tuned to A) that I'm in a pathological love/hate relationship with.
Experimenting with lots of IRs will give you a better idea of what to try out. V30s for the typical "metal" sound. If you want something a little different, try out some greenbacks.

hebing_rain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Experimenting with lots of IRs will give you a better idea of what to try out. V30s for the typical "metal" sound. If you want something a little different, try out some greenbacks.
Yes the stock IRs in the NadIR are V30s with different mic methods. They're acceptable. But I'm not sure how accurate they are because my monitoring situation is ass (cheap fluid audio monitors in an untreated room)

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like high-headroom speakers for just about everything, so your mileage may vary.

Eminence Swamp Thangs are awesome. Some people say they're scooped or muddy, but that's not my experience. Probably depends on your rig. I like how they take the edge off.

For a more hifi speaker, the EVM-12 or similar, like the Eminence EM12 or EM12N.

Also, if you need a cheap cab, the Crate BV412 cabs are actually pretty well built. Sometimes they show up on Guitar Center for a good price.

')