Speaker talk time..

Reaction score
I bought an unloaded 4x12 and im wanting to put 2 speakers in it right now.
(going to mainly be a basement band practice cab)
I've always loved later Death sound
im guessing Vintage 30's would be the right choice, but im not about to spend that much money.
I'd like to go with two different speakers, maybe Eminence.
Dunno which two to go with.
discuss!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
If u are looking for the V30 sound for a lower price check out Eminence Governors or Warehouse Retro 30. For the Chuck Schuldiner/Death tone, u want a speaker with some sizzle, something like the Celestion G12T75, they don't sound so great alone but sound excellent mixed with V30's or a copy of some sort. A cheaper alternative to the T75 would be Eminence Man-O-War or Warehouse HM75

Gryphon

Reaction score
If u are looking for the V30 sound for a lower price check out Eminence Governors or Warehouse Retro 30. For the Chuck Schuldiner/Death tone, u want a speaker with some sizzle, something like the Celestion G12T75, they don't sound so great alone but sound excellent mixed with V30's or a copy of some sort. A cheaper alternative to the T75 would be Eminence Man-O-War or Warehouse HM75

Another vote for the Warehouse Retro 30

What kind of head will be powering it?

Reaction score
mostly my Ampeg Vh140c
one of these days I'll be getting a Marshall 8200
and maybe my guitarist using a Peavey JSX, but not so much.

What Eminence Legend speaker? there's like 4 different 12" versions
And someone undumb me. when combining speakers, does the wattage have to be very similar? Or could I mix the (120watt) Man O War and the (75?watt) Governor?

and what about the Man O War and a Legend combo? both are 120 watts. Seems like they would be decent to combine.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
I have the 75 watt Legends in my 4x12. I think everyone I know who's used them as loved them - 6505's love them. So aggressive!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You can mix wattages and inpedances all you like, it's the total that matter.

Not always, but often higher power handling speakers are less sensitive, so will be a tad quieter.

groph

Reaction score
mostly my Ampeg Vh140c
one of these days I'll be getting a Marshall 8200
and maybe my guitarist using a Peavey JSX, but not so much.

What Eminence Legend speaker? there's like 4 different 12" versions
And someone undumb me. when combining speakers, does the wattage have to be very similar? Or could I mix the (120watt) Man O War and the (75?watt) Governor?

and what about the Man O War and a Legend combo? both are 120 watts. Seems like they would be decent to combine.

I'm no speaker expert so I am going to offer advice based on theory only.

I think Chuck used Greenbacks in his cabs but I might be totally wrong. The "classic" death metal sound back in the day was a Marshall 8200 through a 4x12 with Greenbacks, though. They can sound sweet in a metal setting but I'd probably be careful with amps because the speaker breakup will add a lot of extra distortion. I'd imagine a beastly amp like an Ampeg VH140 (I am so jealous of you) paired with Greenbacks might sound too messy. Maybe it would slay, I dunno. That amp just has so much gain by itself it probably doesn't need additional speaker breakup; distortion past a point just sounds bad.

Vintage 30s are probably a good all-around choice, especially with the JSX but on the other hand, a more neutral, high powered speaker like the stuff Eminence puts out could go well with all 3 amps. A V30/G12T-75 mix is also popular and it apparently works really well in a death metal context. The T75's are a little more scooped and warmer sounding, which in theory balance out the upper midrange spike of the V30, resulting in a huge, even tone.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
It's also worth noting, I just realised you're going to put two speakers into a 412, meaning the other 2 holes will be left open. This has rather a profound 'flattening' effect on speakers, having such a gaping hole. It'll make them sound lighter, quieter, and possibly a little fuzzier. G12T-75's will respond pretty horribly to that I'd say...

dwilk

Reaction score
It's also worth noting, I just realised you're going to put two speakers into a 412, meaning the other 2 holes will be left open. This has rather a profound 'flattening' effect on speakers, having such a gaping hole. It'll make them sound lighter, quieter, and possibly a little fuzzier. G12T-75's will respond pretty horribly to that I'd say...

This. If you must do this (I still wouldn't recommend it) lay the speakers out in a diagonal format. I'd say top left - bottom right but that might just be the reader in me.

As silly as it sounds, I'd also strongly suggest mounting two speakers in the open spaces, disconnected. The not working/disconnected speakers will help just by sitting in open spaces.

Reaction score
I didnt even think about that :scratch:
Thanks for that little tid-bit

Im going to eventually put 4 in there, but at the beginning it's only going to be 2.
Still need to figure out what combo of speakers I want to use.

')