Speakers for ENGL Savage

• Thread starter Chugalug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a ENGL slant 4x12, but the speakers weren’t as expected(tone tubby San Rafael 25w). I have debated on v30s, which is why I bought it. Or doing a mix, since I’m changing out the ones that came with it. Any recommendations? Also, the output Jack was changed out, so it’s just a single(no stereo option)

I had debated just returning this cab and buying a used Orange ppc412 or a Mesa, what do y’all think would be best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I'd just return the cab and get something you don't have to mess with. You weren't even sure if it was an engl cab either, right?

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd just return the cab and get something you don't have to mess with. You weren't even sure if it was an engl cab either, right?
After looking at it and comparing it is one, has the grill, and the birch ply wood inside...just no grill emblem and someone painted the wood under the grill white.
I’ve looked at the Orange used and they’d be about the same price if I loaded this one up with used V30s.

Also, any thoughts on having just a 2x12 vs 4x12 for the 120watt head? I’m playing at home too.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Return it. Why should have to do anything to a cab if you don't have to?

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Return it. Why should have to do anything to a cab if you don't have to?
That’s what I keep going to, but didnt know if the build/sound of another cab will be as good with the right speakers of course, which is why I looked at Orange and Mesa as options and even a Rivera(all loaded with the V30s).
Thanks for the replies everyone!

MetalHead40

Reaction score
In terms of speakers that pair with the Savage 120...I loved it through K100s and Heritage greenbacks.

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's subjective, but those amps sound great with the rare V60's or 25w Greenbacks.
I’ve been looking at sound samples and vids on YouTube. I found a few nice combos of the greenbacks(still trying to figure out what wattage and ohms). My favorites to my ear:
-greenback and/or EVM 12L and a texas heat.

The vid I found was through an ENGL head too. A couple others were combos with EVM 12Ls, but those are pricey! Even by themself they sounded good and to me better than the V30s, which do sound good to me, but these other combos sounded good too.

Another question I have is in regards to Orange cabs, will they completely change the sound of a speaker or not pair well with the Savage? The first ENGL I heard was Misha on his Invader with the orange cab, which was awesome.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Mesa rectifier 4x12 are great. They're built like tanks and sound great for heavier styles of music. The rectifier cab I gigged with was just so well built, you could probably drop it in a flight or stairs and the stairs would be damaged. Built in USA with quality materials.

In my experience, Orange cabs sound less harsh and darker with the same speakers, probably a result of different grill cloth material? Just a different sound. Also, if you care about that, current Orange cabs are made in China.

12Ls are cool, especially in 1x12 combos to beef up the sound, but so expensive I never cared to own one (especially since v30s fit what I need usually).

If you don't go the custom cab route, I strongly recommend the Mesa Rectifier cabs.

gnoll

Reaction score
EVM 12L is also a veeery heavy speaker. 4x12 with those ufffff....

Edika

Reaction score
I have a 2x12 ENGL pro cab with the 2x12. It weighs about 38-40 kg, almost as much as most 4x12's. It has V30's and cuts through extremely well and seems quite balanced. Every amp I put on that cab sounded great. In comparison I have a Zilla fatboy with a V30 and K100 combo. That cab likes only bright amps and has a weird mid response coming from the V30 which I don't like on some amps. So the ENGL wins I that regard. Plus it has an interesting construction with some foam inside on the sides to make the sound more directional.

What I mean is that in terms if construction it's a great cab. If you can find V30 speakers relatively cheaply to replace whatever is in there it should get you a full but tight sound.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
I have a ENGL slant 4x12, but the speakers weren’t as expected(tone tubby San Rafael 25w). I have debated on v30s, which is why I bought it. Or doing a mix, since I’m changing out the ones that came with it. Any recommendations? Also, the output Jack was changed out, so it’s just a single(no stereo option)

I had debated just returning this cab and buying a used Orange ppc412 or a Mesa, what do y’all think would be best?
I had just bought Orange ppc412 with UK v30 speakers in it and it fits my ENGL Savagage 120 & Savage SE perfectly. They are bright and harsh amps so I like somewhat more dark tone of Orange ppc4123 combination.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
After looking at it and comparing it is one, has the grill, and the birch ply wood inside...just no grill emblem and someone painted the wood under the grill white.
I’ve looked at the Orange used and they’d be about the same price if I loaded this one up with used V30s.

Also, any thoughts on having just a 2x12 vs 4x12 for the 120watt head? I’m playing at home too.
I would still get 412 even for home. ENGL Savage have excelent master volume so 412 is not overkill since it can be played whisper quiet and still sounding ok. Since savage doesnt have a tone of bass I believe that 412 helps a lot. I like me 412 way better than 212 even for home use. They are not really that different in size really, only in height.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
I love the sound for recording with a Marshall 4x12, one of 1960s I think.
My question is a bit out of context here :) but still. I like the hard rock sound you got on your album(s) that was recorded also with Savage. Can you provide info what channel were you using and roughly how your 2 gain pots were setup? I would like some reference start/help since rock sound is out of my league :)

Muzz

Reaction score
+1 on using a 4x12 with an engl amp at home. I've got some chinese cab with v30s and if I wanna go quiet I seem to always go with the engl powerball. I don't have the savage. But I don't like the mesa triple rec for low volumes (it is so bloody touchy when trying to dial in a low volume) and a 6505 isn't bad so yeah.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Try WGS Veteran 30. It is basically a V30 without that upper mid spike. Or its brighter cousin WGS Retro 30.

Reaction score
My Savage sounded best through my VHT FatBottom cab, but was no slouch through my ole' Crate cab with v30's and H75's either. Funny enough, I didn't like it as much with my mesa 212(closed back with v30s).

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gow
I had just bought Orange ppc412 with UK v30 speakers in it and it fits my ENGL Savagage 120 & Savage SE perfectly. They are bright and harsh amps so I like somewhat more dark tone of Orange ppc4123 combination.
thanks for all the help everyone! How do you all think a orange PpC412HP would be loaded with g12k100s would be through the Savage 120?

')