Sperzel locking machine head problem

• Thread starter DaveCarter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Found a website that would make up a set for my RG7321 (set of 6 + 1 extra), just gone to fit them and theyve added the wrong one! Sperzel sets have staggered post heights; low for e and B, medium for G and D, high for A and E, so for the extra low B Id need another high post and the one theyve added is a low post!!! The place said theyd swap it for the right one but they wont have any more in stock til mid January, and I have several gigs before then that I need to use this guitar with. Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Make a set where you will have 3 small ones, two medium and 2 big for now :)

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
I considered that, but will the shorter posts be big enough to get enough winds on?

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
But if i want to use alternate tunings i.e. down one step, Id still need a bit of string on the post to unwind, right?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Not really. They have a wide tuning ratio, which means you don't have to turn it far to get to drop D.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
sweet, so is windings the only reason for different post heights? I though it might be something to do with strings height that might affect intonation or something....?

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
It's also for "right" string placing into the nut slots, but RG7321 head is angled enough to avoid string skipping out from the slots, don't worry :agreed:

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Sounds good :) Only problem is my dad is going to be fitting them, and he keeps saying there wont be enough room to get sufficient winds on to bring the strings up to pitch. But all the guitars Ive seen with locking tuners have about half a wind on the post...how do you do it????

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
half of the wind is enough, that's why those are locking tuners :)

if you dad saying something other what gauges you're using?? those have to be huge :)

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Not really, at the moment Im using 10-52+64. So there shouldnt be any problems with fitting the 7 tuners that Ive got?

For reference, we're just fitted the set of 7 tuners and its fine! Intonation is still perfect, tuning stability is scarily good with brand new strings, and they only needed half a turn to bring the strings up to pitch. Thanks for your help guys!! I'll be posting some pics once Ive finished modding her.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
good. that half turn, is the point of locking tuners. one of the huge spots for tuning stability loss is the winds around the tuner, and locking tuners eliminate that, as well as totally speeding the hell out of string changes, as theres no winding to do.
congrats, and im glad it worked!