Spider Valve or HD147? Or neither?

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have a B-52 AT-100 tube head and a B-52 ST 412 cab with Vintage 30's. However, the all tube design isn't a huge fan of my new 8 string, and it tends to be too... grainy for lack of a better term. Needless to say, I'm really warming up to the idea of getting a solid state/hybrid amp. I'm selling my current stack to a friend for $1000 (pretty good I think) tomorrow, and black friday is just around the corner. I spent alot of time at guitar center today trying out amps. I really like the Spider Valve but... there's a used HD147 there for only 650 bucks. I think that's an amazing deal. Since it's a better idea to go with modelling speakers vs 30's for the HD147 I could get 2 cabs and the HD147 with stereo effects and still be in my price range. Only thing is, I think I still have sortof a phobia of complete solid state amps and I'm worried that it won't be loud enough/feel right when turned up (can't play loud in guitar center). What would you guys reccomend doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
grainy? could that be an EQ thing or a pickup+strings thing, and not so much an amp issue?

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
It's hard to describe. like if you imagine a sine wave... on my amp the peaks would be spread out more vs being really close together on a solid state. I've played it with many different guitars and pickups and yeah that affects it but in general the tubes just don't give the same... powerful crunch. It's more like fender amp distortion on crack vs just all out balls to the wall distortion.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I've never biased my amp but I'm prolly going to be selling it soon anyway...

EDIT: Tubes don't work well for the low tuning stuff either... meshuggah doesn't use solid state for no reason :p

Anyway even if my amp was biased properly (which I think it is) it's not a Mesa triple rec... I just don't think it's ever going to give me the sound that I'm looking for.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
well solidstate would be moving farther away from a triple rec, not closer lol.

A/B the SV with the HD147.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Well mechanically yes but I would think that an all tube fender amp would be farther from a triple rec than a solid state modeller :p.

I'm selling the SV with the head.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're gonna be playing an 8 string, I'd recommend the HD147 over the SV.
The HD offers some bone crunching low end.

SERAPHEUM

ENGL MAFIA!
Reaction score
I played a Line 6 spidervalve or valvestate head through a 4x12 Mesa cab and hated it. Everything was muddy on the bottom. The only "model" I found that I thought sounded halfway decent was 311 :scratch: I fiddled with that thing for an hour...:wallbash:
Nick

Diggers

Reaction score
To be honest, only you know which amp is going to suit you best, so ultimately you have to make a logical decision for yourself.

I just got a spider valve after my Laney broke down. I read all the negative reviews online and discounted the amp from my short list. Then, i went to buy a 6505, which from all the reviews i'd read, thought would be the amp for me. I A/B'ed the two and the SV suited my tone, playing style and needs far better.

Moral of the story, no one knows what you want/need better than you do.

Plus, you know the HD147 is 300 watts? I'd say that's more than enough for anyone...!!

Good luck with you're decision :metal:

')