Spiral Arhitect...Anyone?

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, since I'm on this prog/fusion kick lately, I'm searching for different bands, and I must say these guys are different, very interesting music, nonetheless. Also, if you guys know of more prog stuff, please fill me in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on both - Jarzombek's the man!

Cynic would be a good choice, as well, as they were a large influence on Spiral Architect.

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
Jarzombeck is insanely skilled, though the Spastic Ink cd's give me headaches they're so complex :lol:

Atheist, especially the Unquestionable Presence album, are fantastic. Psychotic Waltz's early stuff is good too. Aghora featruing excellent 7 stringer Santiago Dobles on guitar are definitely worth checking out. Gordian Knot are worth hearing too. Coprofago from Chile are heavier with big Holdsworth-esque influences. On the heavier side also, Theory In Practice are superb. Pestilence's last album, Spheres went to a very fusion-ish place and is worth picking up on ebay.

That should get you started :hbang:

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
+1 on both - Jarzombek's the man!

Cynic would be a good choice, as well, as they were a large influence on Spiral Architect.
I LOVE Gordian Knot (Shawn/Sean Malone)

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ron Jarzombek, without question!!!! Go to his website & buy all his CDs. You will not regret it. www.ronjarzombek.com

And yes, Spiral Architect is fantastic.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
pauly-bobs said:
I'm looking forward tot he project Ron is doing with Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, that'll rawk! :hbang:

That project also includes Chris Adler, drummer for Lamb of God. :hbang:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd prefer Bobby Jarzombek for drums..but it'd be cool either way \m/

Love SA by the way. Shame they havent done anything in 4-5 years, recording wise

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
OH! By the way, Paolo--
DOWNLOAD PSYCHOTIC WALTZ.
Any album is good. But i reccomend "A Social Grace" First.. the song "... And the Devil Cried"... Insane.. they have a ptab for it over at powertabs.net.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
I'd prefer Bobby Jarzombek for drums..but it'd be cool either way \m/

Love SA by the way. Shame they havent done anything in 4-5 years, recording wise

I wouldn't hold your breath for another album ever. All the guys are playing in different bands at this point...

iumentum

Reaction score
I love SA too, seen them live 3 times and they kick some serious ass everytime!

Check out Sieges Even - Uneven. I think it's their most technical album.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
OH! By the way, Paolo--
DOWNLOAD PSYCHOTIC WALTZ.
Any album is good. But i reccomend "A Social Grace" First.. the song "... And the Devil Cried"... Insane.. they have a ptab for it over at powertabs.net.
OK I'll check it out at home, I listened to some clips and they sound pretty good, but it's hard to grasp anything form a 30 sec. clip...thanks!

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
It's Ron Jarzombeck, his brother Bobby on drums and Pete Perez on bass. He does a fair bit of that guitar narration of cartoons and other wierd stuff. They have a tune called See And It's Sharp which is a song consisting entirely of C and C# only. It's worth hearing, but sometimes in small doses ;)

His work with Watchtower is easier on the ear but just as impressive IMO, he's a very, very underrated player. If you can, check out Watchtower's Control And Resistance :agreed:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
WayneCustom7 said:
Man that Spastic Ink is some wierd shit...I'm watching the Disney cartoon with him playing...is it just the one guy?

I believe Ron and his brother are the only permanent members of the band, I think they bring in people to tour with but you couldn't quote me on that.

As for the weird videos on the site, I love The Cereal Mouse!

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
pauly-bobs said:
I believe Ron and his brother are the only permanent members of the band, I think they bring in people to tour with but you couldn't quote me on that.

As for the weird videos on the site, I love The Cereal Mouse!

AFAIK, they haven't done any Ink live shows (yet). Pete Perez usually plays bass on the stuff, but he brought in some guests on "Ink Compatible", as well as having WatchTower vocalist Jason McMaster (yes, the same one from Dangerous Toys) sing most of the songs.

I heartily recommend both WatchTower discs, even though Ron's not on the first one. Original guitarist Billy White is awesome, as well...

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Doctor J said:
Jarzombeck is insanely skilled, though the Spastic Ink cd's give me headaches they're so complex :lol:

Atheist, especially the Unquestionable Presence album, are fantastic. Psychotic Waltz's early stuff is good too. Aghora featruing excellent 7 stringer Santiago Dobles on guitar are definitely worth checking out. Gordian Knot are worth hearing too. Coprofago from Chile are heavier with big Holdsworth-esque influences. On the heavier side also, Theory In Practice are superb. Pestilence's last album, Spheres went to a very fusion-ish place and is worth picking up on ebay.

That should get you started :hbang:
Aghora
Dude that Santiago Dobles is insane...however I'm not crazy for the vocals, musically they rock...
Coprofago are indeed something that needs further checking, two very extreme genres mixed into one...it's almost too much, but not.
Theory in Practice, too much for me, vocally I can only bend so far.I'll check out Pestilence at home...thanks for all the tips!

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
Good stuff man, glad you like some of it. It took me a while to get into Aghora's vocals but now I really like them a lot. He's an unbelievable player. It's Dobles' guitar on the Conklin site too...

Me wants...

carvedquilt7al450l.jpg

:bowdown:

')