Squaring of the corners of the neck pocket cavity

• Thread starter dansk_84
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dansk_84

Reaction score
Hi guys

When i rout out the neck pocket on my guitar bodies im left with the 12.7mm radius on each of the inner corners.

Anybody here that uses routers will know that you can never cut a perfect right angle if ou are routing out a cavity.

Now ive seen on some pictures on this board, especially ones from Daemoness guitars of a neck cavity been cut out with a router. But these neck cavity go on to have pefectly angles corners to allow for a square ended neck to placed in.

Im assuming that after routing the radiused corner is taken out somehow, and that leads me to my question.

Does anbody know how to neatly remove the raduis of the routed cavity edges, for example would you use a chisel?

Look forward to hearing peoples responses.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dansk_84

Reaction score
I thought it might have been a case of just use a chisel.

Cheers

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Would it be easier/faster to put a roundover on the neck? I don't know how you're doing it so it is just a suggestion. Anywho, I noticed you forgot to post pics. What you workin' broski?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind a square edge/ corner will be easier to damage when jarred, cracking the finish and such. A round corner will have less issues with stress concentration.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Keep in mind a square edge/ corner will be easier to damage when jarred, cracking the finish and such. A round corner will have less issues with stress concentration.
This is very true. Which is why I always round the corners off my neck. Ive contemplated trying the square pocket, only because ive seen lots of builders doing it..in the end i just stick my proven method

')