SR500 4 string vs Yamaha 5 string

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I bet you a guitar that I could send you links to full songs in the rock and metal genres, some that have programmed bass and some that have live (played) bass, and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

:shrug:

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I bet you a guitar that I could send you links to full songs in the rock and metal genres, some that have programmed bass and some that have live (played) bass, and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

:shrug:
I won't bet any guitars because I know someone is crazy enough to program all the fast notes off grid one by one, but that's not for me. It's too much effort compared to actually just playing the bass. And I know you can get believable results with a keyboard for softer styles like @dspellman says. I have tried that myself. However, hearing an alternate picked bass line programmed dead on the grid with distortion is one of the most horrible things to listen to ever. 🤪🔫 And that's saying something because a real bass is usually a pleasant instrument to listen to by itself..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Hmmm. 😕

Well I found a promising option! It's the Jackson X Series Spectra Bass SBX V. 5 strings, 35 inch scale, even slightly cheaper than both the SR and the TBRX. Really thinking about buying this one right away!

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm not a bassist at all, but wanted to chime in and be cool :)

I recently bought an Ibanez GSR205SM and an Ibanez GSR105EX to see which would be better for me and I went with the GSR105EX. It outdid any higher-end bass I've had before and it sounds great, probably because I'm not a bassist lol.

The GSR205 is also fantastic, but I preferred the passive pickups with fewer controls to mess with.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
All right! So this monday if I'm off at work, I will get a train ticket and go buy myself the TBRX505. Couldn't find that much info on the Jackson.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Well, to put some closure to this thread. I got the bass 😁😁😁

IMG_20221017_173515.jpg

I'm really happy. I haven't had a NGD for 5 years! And it sounds amazing, I'm happy with my decision so far.

That's the end of programming bass for me hopefully. I can finally make the bass more prominent and have more protagonism in my songs, instead of having to hide it deep in the mix.

Last edited:

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
It's great! Factory setup is a bit funny though. The trussrod seems right, but the the action is 2mm on the low B and 2,5mm on the G. 😂😂 Tomorrow I will set it up like in the manual, 3.1-2.6mm from low to high. And the pickup height, etc etc. Despite this it's still comfortable to play and I didn't realize about the setup until I measured it.