SS.org Libertarians Unite!

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
my friend meets up with a libertarian group in our area and he says practically all they do the whole time is argue :lol: big surprise, I think there was a socialst guy who went too lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carrion

Et tu, Brute?
Reaction score
"And yes, it does mean that we need government. You see, societies have legislative bodies that allocate resources towards preventing actual aggression (different from "aggression") against citizens, overseeing projects outside the scope of the individual (such as highways), as well as making sure that when you flush the toilet, the poo goes down and the drinking water doesn't turn brown. We call these things governments, whether they're big or small, municipal or national, responsible for collecting money from residents to pay private armies in lieu of taxes (the irony of this always gets me), or ensuring that the educational curriculum includes things like math and evolution so that the children don't end up as stupid as their parents who are ok with being serfs under the military rule of the people they think they're paying to protect them."

All of these services can be provided by privately owned organizations that gather their funds through legitimate, voluntary payments instead of violent, involuntary taxation.

errnestoo

Reaction score
Im about to switch my registration to Libertarian...though their foreign policy is useless. Id love to join their party, rise through its ranks, and shed that useless view.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Moreso about curiosity, Jeff, what about Ron Paul do you not like?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
By no stretch was he worse than either of the 'main' candidates, or among the less-competent legislators from Texas, but his church-state views aren't particularly encouraging (and he's just outright wrong on many basic facts of history used to justify his position), he's a libertarian not out of philosophical convictions but out of convenience (he adopts some of the policies, but is too far gone into the religious right madhouse to not be an embarrassment), and, while he likes to make big claims about not raising taxes, porking things up, or taking funding that isn't necessary, he really only masks his interests and takes advantage of syntactical prestidigitation rather than actually fighting such nonsense to the extent necessary. Long story short, he's mislabeled libertarian-substitute at best - the average Joe can't tell the difference, but it's there.

Jeff

')