SS.org "Your Other Hobbies" thread

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaveFSJ

Reaction score
Fishing/Crabbing - I have a 16' center console boat I like to take out
Brewing beer - I experiment alot here. Mainly with Ales
4wdriving - I have a 1983 FSJ Cherokee
Aquariums/Aquaponics - the idea is to cycle fish waste to produce vegetables.
Astronomy - Space is an interesting place

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Numismatics (coin collecting)
Paintball
Fitness (lifting/running/biking/swimming)
Reading

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
-Mountainbiking, and biking in general, especially in the summer and in forests.
-Skating, I am getting to old for the tricks though.
-Gaming and/or drinking with friends.
-Reading, before I go to sleep.
-Beer, there is so much different beer and I want to taste as much different ones I can.
-Working out. Only in times though, getting started is always difficult, but it gets better after the initial set.

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
Not much, since i've been busy with life stuff for a while so all free time generally gets dumped into guitar. But when i can do other things...

-Computers - I build my own machines, mess with different linux distros, etc.... I tried coding but for some reason i took to it like oil takes to water.

-Gaming - Used to be my main interest before i got into music. Around half a year ago when i got serious about guitar the 360 went off, and i don't think it's been on since. :shrug: i don't really miss it. I still play minecraft frequently though, its too fun to quit.

-fishing

-running - never have time to do this anymore, and it shows :lol:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm planning on working my way through Bobo
I've had this book for years. Every now and then, when I'm looking at a chunk of potential free time (school, annual training, etc.) I'll pull it out and start working through it. I doubt I've ever made it more than 1/4 of the way through.

I also have the Hugard & Braueand book on cards that gets pulled-out from time-to-time too.

I prefer "prop-less", or at the very least, nothing you can't grab from the table, kitchen, etc. slight-of-hand, but some of the simple/small device effects really throw something unexpected into the mix.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yep, I'm 41 and I love playing with LEGO. Me and my kid get into it together. It's a blast.
44 here and ditto. My folks actually saved all the LEGO I had as a kid and not that they're downsizing, they're actually going let my daughters take it all home the next time we visit.

Ray

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I read...a lot. (GRRM ftw!)
Hanging with my son, baseball, soccer.
Renovating my house (second one).
Used to be into RPG's (bioware) No more time!
I love running, working out. (helps get rid of the negative energy!)
Learning new software. (i have to know a bunch of different software for work).

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
I used to be heavily in to martial arts but had to stop when I was studying. Im probably going to start up again next year once I have the time for it, this time Im looking for a mix of striking and grappling so will probably go for Krav Maga or MMA.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Reading. I simply love it, putting some awesome music in the background and read. I usually read Sci-Fi and fantasy. Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman today again, wonderful book (and wonderful author).

Aside for that, I've been doing something called Pen Spinning for a few years now. It's a very fun hobby, may seem very nerdy, but it also helps building finger independence and flexibility, which I'm sure musicians will approve of. Here are a few videos of myself:

sorry for the mess-ups here, I can't edit them out for some reason, it wrecks my video quality...

Anyway if any of you guys are interested I'll be happy to explain more :)

isispelican

Reaction score
card throwing :

I have kind of given it up though as I experience great arm pains after a couple of throws which affect my guitar playing. Still, it remains one of my favorite hobbies. Other than that , lots of books, manga, anime and movies.

Reaction score
Reading. I simply love it, putting some awesome music in the background and read. I usually read Sci-Fi and fantasy. Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman today again, wonderful book (and wonderful author).

Aside for that, I've been doing something called Pen Spinning for a few years now. It's a very fun hobby, may seem very nerdy, but it also helps building finger independence and flexibility, which I'm sure musicians will approve of. Here are a few videos of myself:

sorry for the mess-ups here, I can't edit them out for some reason, it wrecks my video quality...

Anyway if any of you guys are interested I'll be happy to explain more :)

jesus christ you put me to shame dude:lol::bowdown:

groph

Reaction score
I'm going to start reading all the major early works in sociology when I'm done my fourth year (this April). I'll have a B.A. with honors in Sociology/Anthropology and I'm looking to get into a master's program. Honestly, I can't say I really know the early work well enough, if at all. I'm most familiar with Karl Marx because every second course you take in university these days is Marx this and Marx that but I feel like I just don't know my own discipline well enough.

I plan to never stop reading up on theory books, I want to know this stuff. The contemporary shit is so much more interesting but it builds on the old stuff which I should know. I've basically accepted the fact that this means I'm pretty much going to be in school for the rest of my life but it's a labor of love.

brynotherhino

Reformed Redneck
Reaction score
I really enjoy finding different beers, and what there effect they have on me. most of them have been the same....

Also I was just getting into cycling and running before i jacked up my hip again. It will be a while before i can get back to doing those unfortunately.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I'm going to start reading all the major early works in sociology when I'm done my fourth year (this April). I'll have a B.A. with honors in Sociology/Anthropology and I'm looking to get into a master's program. Honestly, I can't say I really know the early work well enough, if at all. I'm most familiar with Karl Marx because every second course you take in university these days is Marx this and Marx that but I feel like I just don't know my own discipline well enough.

I plan to never stop reading up on theory books, I want to know this stuff. The contemporary shit is so much more interesting but it builds on the old stuff which I should know. I've basically accepted the fact that this means I'm pretty much going to be in school for the rest of my life but it's a labor of love.

Have you read God and the State by Bakunin? If not, definitely give it a look-see. I have a great old copy that one of my professors gave to me, I cherish it.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
My hobbies including gaming and computing, I build my PC and here it is:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/166/20111018200145.jpg
20111018200145.jpg

20111018200111.jpg

neoclassical

FENRISMAW
Reaction score
Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is he
I like pipes and English/Balkan tabac -got this in the mail today. I had a $15.00 trade in credit so it only cost $25. The stem looks better in person and the front and back of it look like real bamboo.

Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Pipes, Estate Pipes & Pipe Tobacco at Smoking Pipes .com

I also got a tin of Margate, a full English (orientals and latakia). It will be a while before I try them since I've been on different antibiotics and a slew of antihistamines and steroids for sinus and throat trouble since the middle of August. I'm just clearing up and feeling better this week.

I only smoke once or twice a week some times more, but usually much less than even that.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
- Masturbation
- Sevenstring.org
- Previous two activities combined
- Video games
- Writing music that never gets heard
- Killing strangers

But for real, I'm a freelance photographer, I like studying nature (both past and present) and also write occasionally. I need more motivation to do all these things.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Mountain biking
Running
Hiking
Girlfriend
Camping
Cars
Football
Concerts
Clubs
Driving like an idiot
Movies
Cooking
Drinking

I don't really play video games or care about computers, but to add some nerd-factor in I enjoy doing some ghost hunting. The only reason I do it is because I've never experienced or seen anything, so I'll continue to do it until something happens to happen.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Well playing guitar is my life. I don't really do anything else. I may play video games now and again but really it's just something of a distraction.

I love cars but I don't work on them. I check out videos, read reviews, check out what makes them so special etc. Nothing I'd call a hobby though.

Seriously, with out my guitars, I don't know how I'd cope.

Reaction score
Well playing guitar is my life. I don't really do anything else. I may play video games now and again but really it's just something of a distraction.

I love cars but I don't work on them. I check out videos, read reviews, check out what makes them so special etc. Nothing I'd call a hobby though.

Seriously, with out my guitars, I don't know how I'd cope.
I know right? Two months ago I was cleaning my razor and it slipped and made 3 deep cuts in my index finger on my picking hand. I couldn't play for 4 days and I was so bored. My dad told me repeatedly to stop whining and that I'd be fine.

')