SS.org's DIY and How-To Thread

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Hey ss.org :hbang:

I know many people (mostly men) have a passion for DIY and How-To style stuff around here. Let's just share what kind of stuff we're crazy enough to want to/already have built.

PS: If you really have that much free time... step-by-step would be awesome.

I'll start:

---------

Right now I really want to make:

A rope swing for my swimming pool (but can't find anything safe to hold the rope ; ideas :flame: ? )

A simple tube amp/preamp (have all the parts recovered from old stuff, just didn't make them yet because of the microchips :p)

Share your projects :idea:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I remember building a makeshift kiln at camp once. We got a bunch of bricks, stacked together, and covered the outside in mud to keep the heat in.

Right now I really want to throw together a forge. I'm gonna use a piece of railroad track for an anvil, I know that much, but I don't know what I'll use as a bellows.

BTW I hope this thread takes off. I need to find some things to do with my spare time other than getting on SS.O :lol:

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
A rope swing for my swimming pool (but can't find anything safe to hold the rope ; ideas :flame: ? )

Any pics of the pool and the surrounding area?

A simple tube amp/preamp

diyAudio
CeriaTone.Com - DIY Guitar Tube Amp

Before next summer I'll be building a professional style fireworks pad (6-12 tubes to fire multiple artillery/mortar rounds), and an equipment trailer that can haul ~10,000lbs (welder, skid steer, the drag car, the girlfriends 5.0 Mustang when she buys it, etc). Epic amount of pictures will be taken for that one, since the Highway Patrol will want them as part of the titling process.

aiur55

Reaction score
I want to make my own preamp too! But as of right now, I only make my own pedals and cables. I wouldn't mind making a good step by step for either of those things though.

Reaction score
I remember building a makeshift kiln at camp once. We got a bunch of bricks, stacked together, and covered the outside in mud to keep the heat in.

Right now I really want to throw together a forge. I'm gonna use a piece of railroad track for an anvil, I know that much, but I don't know what I'll use as a bellows.

BTW I hope this thread takes off. I need to find some things to do with my spare time other than getting on SS.O :lol:

There is nothing more metal than this. After its made you can say yoou forge metal.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
There is nothing more metal than this. After its made you can say yoou forge metal.

It all started when I saw someone make a knife out of a railroad spike...
My friend in PA has really made an art out of making short swords from reBar.

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
I plan on forging 2 swords and a balisong this summer, if I ever find the time

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
1- http://i53.tinypic.com/2d82ukp.jpg

2-http://i55.tinypic.com/34fff5s.jpg

3-http://i53.tinypic.com/2rfcyo4.jpg

4-http://i52.tinypic.com/8z0cvn.jpg

5-http://i51.tinypic.com/2ufalax.jpg

the right part of the pic #1 connects to the left part of pic #2

PS: this thread wasn't created for questions and all that, it's more like a showcase, but I guess questions and discussion are OK too :lol:

Why not just tie a Clove hitch with a safety or a bow line around the wood truss ??? The truss looks stable enough to hold weight.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Why not just tie a Clove hitch with a safety or a bow line around the wood truss ??? The truss looks stable enough to hold weight.

I thought about that, but i'm not really sure if it's THAT stable. I wish there was another way :scratch:

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I thought about that, but i'm not really sure if it's THAT stable. I wish there was another way :scratch:

Well if it makes you feel anymore comfortable, the double bowline is the only "knot" (its actually a hitch) that you can legally tie off to. Something else you could do is duct tape around the hitch point. Make sure to put some type of softener around the rope where it meets the wood, maybe take a length of old garden hose, slice it down length ways and wrap it around the rope. Most importantly the only rope you should be using for this is 3/4 inch polypropelene rope. Though if it's your truss your concerned about I can't help.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel anymore comfortable, the double bowline is the only "knot" (its actually a hitch) that you can legally tie off to. Something else you could do is duct tape around the hitch point. Make sure to put some type of softener around the rope where it meets the wood, maybe take a length of old garden hose, slice it down length ways and wrap it around the rope. Most importantly the only rope you should be using for this is 3/4 inch polypropelene rope. Though if it's your truss your concerned about I can't help.

yup, it's the truss i'm worried about... could you explain the "double bowline is the only "knot" (its actually a hitch) that you can legally tie off to", what do you mean with legally?

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
yup, it's the truss i'm worried about... could you explain the "double bowline is the only "knot" (its actually a hitch) that you can legally tie off to", what do you mean with legally?

I mean in regards to the Ocupational Health and Safety Act and Construction Regulations. If you were to lets say tie a granny knot around an anchor point and tie off to that rope with a rope grab you would be in violation not complying with Ocupational Health and Safety Act and Construction Regulations. A double bowline tied to an anchor point using a ropegrab however can be used to tie off to.
Obviously your not running a construction site and your not going to have the Ministry of Labour showing up anytime soon but what it does mean is that that knot (using 3/4 inch polypropelene rope) is designed to support the weight and shock load of a person falling.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
I mean in regards to the Ocupational Health and Safety Act and Construction Regulations. If you were to lets say tie a granny knot around an anchor point and tie off to that rope with a rope grab you would be in violation not complying with Ocupational Health and Safety Act and Construction Regulations. A double bowline tied to an anchor point using a ropegrab however can be used to tie off to.
Obviously your not running a construction site and your not going to have the Ministry of Labour showing up anytime soon but what it does mean is that that knot (using 3/4 inch polypropelene rope) is designed to support the weight and shock load of a person falling.

woa... thanks man! I had no idea that the government could control our knots too :scratch: :scratch:

')