SSO: Deep Thoughts

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I deleted the app from my phone, 'cause there was no other way. Yesterday was kind of an awful day, and 99% of why is that I made the mistake of commenting on something that got some traction - I managed to farm a good number of useless internet points, but the replies kept coming and saying the stupidest things and pulling me back in and putting words in my mouth and insulting me over some dumb innocuous post - and all through out the day my phone kept going off with yet another moron making up some nonsense about how if you hear a fox in the woods then statistics say that it's equally likely to be a ghost because probability is ALWAYS (1 / number of possibilities), and science says everything is possible until you definitively prove otherwise, and also Schrodingers cat proves we're in a simulation.

It's like every 14-30 year old stoner who watched some science youtube once and only retained the buzzwords held their annual reunion in my cell phone notifications.

It was like a digital version of the one time I mistakenly allowed an ex-girlfriend to take me on a "ghost hunting" trip and the whole day was spent getting roasted by a bunch of teenage girls about how "stupid" I was for not believing that the broken gameboy parts they got off ebay and glued together could detect spirits, or that every lens flare in a photo was proof of the afterlife.

Jebus knows I like a good dumb internet argument from time to time, but there's a limit. And an army of redditors crosses that limit. There's no arguing with people who think that being able to name philosophers makes you smart.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My related "deep thought" vis-a-vis reddit and social is that we're in the age of garbage. Garbage everywhere. Cheap garbage. My $2k refrigerator died after 4 years. The compressor was too expensive to replace, so we just bought a new one. Garbage. AI pictures everywhere. Garbage.

Find the things that are actually valuable and spend time with it / them.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I find that much of the time, reddit is just some competition to be the "most right". [...] And of course, the process of deciding who's right is driven by the consensus of a mentally deranged hive mind.
This is why I dumped Reddit. What's wild is that I always considered Reddit to be a goldmine of useful information because I'd always just lurked or referenced it but never tried to participate. As soon as I tried to participate, I learned real quick that each reddit has it's own set of 'approved opinions' and unless you mindlessly regurgitate these same opinions in every thread you have the opportunity to do so in (and some that you don't) you're just gunna get dogpiled by the goof troupe. Doesn't matter if you're correct. Doesn't matter if the OP was asking for opinions. If you're on a sub where the approved favorite color is green and you ever think about saying some wild shit like 'oh idk I think orange is pretty ok' you're going to learn that not only are you factually incorrect but you're also going to get a full complimentary psychoanalysis complete with a detailed writeup of every personality flaw and skeleton in your closet you didn't know you had.

I went so far as to delete my account entirely. It's not a place for healthy people; at least not anymore.
And that's all to say nothing about Reddit as a company, either.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
you're also going to get a full complimentary psychoanalysis
Some days it feels like ss.org is the only website that isn't trying to convince you that you're autistic.

The one redeeming feature reddit seems to have is that you can still append "reddit" to the end of google searches to get slightly better results sometimes.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
My favourite reddit trope is when people ask for relationship advice on the absolute smallest thing and all the top comments are shit like "he likes carrots? That's violent, leave him and never look back, your [sic] welcome" or people posting shit like "AITH for thinking of leaving my bf of 2 months? He has a padlocked, rusty freezer in the garage that he won't let me look inside of and seems really concerned with my height and foot size."

It somehow got so much worse last year after all the public API stuff.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Reddit works fine for me. I sometimes browse subreddits like r/Golang or Rust, and it's just people sharing something interesting they learned/read, or people asking questions then people arguing (in the good way) about best practices/how to implement. NFL subreddit is fun when watching games because they have a live thread and it's fun to read the comments while the game is happening.
When I buy a consumer electronics thing I'll usually google "the thing reddit" and see what people are saying about it. Same with instructional/educational books.
I don't expect much, so it works fine for me. Like everything else on the internet, you need to be aware of what you're exposing yourself, too. Like, I don't scroll the front page so I have no qualms.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The Reddit homepage has turned into nothing but nerd filth and political tribalism. I used to browse it in idle moments, but the interminable tsunami of excruciatingly denominational echo chamber horseshit is just too much. If I wanted to see endless furry erotica and red/blue self-fulfilling propaganda I'd shove my cock in a squirrel.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I tried to get into r/gamedev but it's almost entirely new people asking "how do I make the AAA MMO of my dreams, also I have no experience and don't own a computer", or rhetorical nonsense like "I bet violent games actually DO make you violent because Doom 2016 scares me". You would think that game dev would be ripe for community, but online game dev spaces kinda suck.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some days it feels like ss.org is the only website that isn't trying to convince you that you're autistic.

The one redeeming feature reddit seems to have is that you can still append "reddit" to the end of google searches to get slightly better results sometimes.

Psssst, hey @TedEH, you like model trains? 😉

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
1720558648720.png

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

"String gauge for drop B on a 24.75 scale reddit"

And half of the comments are people flaming how you need at least 26.5 scale for B..

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
"String gauge for drop B on a 24.75 scale reddit"

And half of the comments are people flaming how you need at least 26.5 scale for B..
man that sounds like 2010 era SSO
yall had me thinkin' if I didn't get a 30" scale on my 8 string I was just spinnin' wheels and wastin' time

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Reddit helped me quit smoking weed, but I think that sub is a rare exception to the overall rule of reddit. I don't have an account, but I do like to lurk the bartender sub while I'm at work getting paid to do so. On the whole, reddit is just as toxic as other forms of social media IME.

It was like a digital version of the one time I mistakenly allowed an ex-girlfriend to take me on a "ghost hunting" trip and the whole day was spent getting roasted by a bunch of teenage girls about how "stupid" I was for not believing that the broken gameboy parts they got off ebay and glued together could detect spirits, or that every lens flare in a photo was proof of the afterlife.
"If there are any ghosts here, I am going to fuck them."

')