SSO Group Buy

• Thread starter r3tr0sp3ct1v3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright guys why doesn't sevenstring.org just come together and design something then send it to WMI and boom. Lucrative business opportunity.

1) You'd have to get people to agree on specs. :lol:

2) Then you'd have to get people to pay for them.

3) After all that, you'll have folks complaining that it's taking too long.

Not to mention communication.

You're welcome to look through the history of group buys and runs done on here. It sure is something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score

You're welcome to look through the history of group buys and runs done on here. It sure is something.

You also forgot people wanting to change the specs halfway through the build process!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I would so be down for an SSO run, but my god would that be difficult to get everyone here to agree on specs.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score

And you'd have people FURIOUS that their purple/blue/green fade finish didn't EXACTLY match the 45kb lossy jpeg they sent for photo reference

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
What if I want something stupid?
giphy.gif

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
It'd be 40 pages arguing over scale length before settling on a 26.8-27.2" fan after averaging all the requests. Everyone will agree it's too long and too short on both ends.

We'll have a lot of talk about the colour before realising the reason Ibanez makes all their guitars in black is that it pleases the most people.

At the start of the process Fishmans will still be the flavour of the month pickups, but by the end there is a new favourite from a company we don't expect. Probably Mooer.

After the specs and price are finalized the forum finally agrees on something: to just buy a used Prestige.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I think the most effective way to handle it is to have a weekly vote for each major component.

Body
Neck
Fretboard
Hardware
Finish

And then select either the top 2 or 3 and make the run have those selections only as options.

Body - Mahogany/Alder
Neck - Maple/Mahogany
Fretboard - Maple/Ebony
Hardware - Hipshot Hardtail
Finish - Black Gloss/Black Satin

Chapman did it just fine, but you simply cannot overload on options and specs to start off with. The idea of starting a new production is that you want to ease whatever factory into your business model/specs and models. But they also started with a Satin Black ML1 with extremely basic specs that were voted on in a similar manner. So you'd have to focus on getting a 2 - 3 runs of basic instruments (Straight Scale, Hardtail 6/7 Strings) before going in with multiscale/trems/transparent stains/fades/bursts.

Hell even Ormsby, the guitars are progressively getting more and more over the top and more spec heavy with each run. But you have to start somewhere.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a simple man with simple taste. All I want is the following:

Body: The lid of the Ark of the Covenant with a 3/8" aerogel droptop. Finished in diamond-flecked Vantablack mixed with linseed oil.
Neck: A post from Abraham Lincoln's death bed, coated in ionized muskox blood.
Fretboard: A hardened layer of beeswax folded over by Japanese swordsmiths and then acid etched like Damascus steel with a birdseye maple pattern.
Frets: Teflon-infused conflict-Coltan.
Fretboard markers: Fossilized walrus penis bone.
Bridge: Lo Pro 7 milled from tungsten carbide, black anodized.
Tuners: Lo Pro 7 milled from tungsten carbide, gold plated.
Pickups: Stock Ibanez V7-7 and V7-8.

Seven strings, obviously. Given that it would be a group run for SSO, a site dedicated to seven string guitars, we should choose branding that reflects that. I'm thinking "Strictly 7" has a nice ring to it. What do you think?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'm a simple man with simple taste. All I want is the following:

Body: The lid of the Ark of the Covenant with a 3/8" aerogel droptop. Finished in diamond-flecked Vantablack mixed with linseed oil.
Neck: A post from Abraham Lincoln's death bed, coated in ionized muskox blood.
Fretboard: A hardened layer of beeswax folded over by Japanese swordsmiths and then acid etched like Damascus steel with a birdseye maple pattern.
Frets: Teflon-infused conflict-Coltan.
Fretboard markers: Fossilized walrus penis bone.
Bridge: Lo Pro 7 milled from tungsten carbide, black anodized.
Tuners: Lo Pro 7 milled from tungsten carbide, gold plated.
Pickups: Stock Ibanez V7-7 and V7-8.

Seven strings, obviously. Given that it would be a group run for SSO, a site dedicated to seven string guitars, we should choose branding that reflects that. I'm thinking "Strictly 7" has a nice ring to it. What do you think?
If we can sub the beeswax for ambergris, all in.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
If we're actually being serious about this
1. any shape besides another fucking super strat (i'd love a jazzmaster, tele or explorer)
2. 7 strings.
3. obnoxious 80s colors are preferable (ie road flare red, cosmic purple).
4. maple fingerboards.
5. 26.5" scale
6. hipshot bridges/tuners

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I’m all for this.
So I’ll take it as a given that we’re all on board an alder body Horizon with an oiled extra thin C maple neck, 25.5” scale and 6 strings, 42mm nut, 14” radius, extra jumbo stainless steel frets, maple fretboard with offset black dots, reverse Jackson headstock, and Floyd Rose in seafoam green with a crackle finish option?
I know it’ll really come down to a major brawl over bolt on or neck thru, but I could go either way. I’ll let the other 150 buyers flesh that out. Just tell me where to send my $649 and I’ll be good to go.