SSO Home Depot Contest feeler

• Thread starter Customisbetter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Who would be down? We had one about 3 years ago and it went pretty well. Now that we have an actual luthiery section and tons of people build around here I think it could be cool.

I don't have anything to offer up as a prize so we could discuss that.

Also rules.
Last time there was a $100 dollar limit on materials and restrictions on place to buy stuff. Usually limited to local Home Depot, Lowes, local hardware stores etc. Pickups were exempt from this.

Discuss!

Mine and Troy's from the first comp!

0508102030-00.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast to me!

We could have a power tools exempt build!

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Seems like fun. If I can I'm down. Are we allowed to use scrap wood or shit we find around like pallets and stuff?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could find the original contest page. Unfortunately it looks as though it got deleted.

Some people chose to go without power tools (mako comes to mind) However I think the competition was usually judged by the photo journey of the build instead of the final product.

Also the competition would last at least two months. I think three is likely a better timeframe.

Maybe June july august?

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Also the competition would last at least two months. I think three is likely a better timeframe.

Maybe June july august?

I'd like, it would be very helpful for those who will do a first build (like me) and will more likely have hard time at some point ahaha

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^Probably not Captain. If your guitar is made out of the finest mahogany in your county people might be a little pissed. :lol:

rekab

Reaction score
What are the frets on your guitars? Is this some adapted Home Depot material as well? A thorough list of rules would help. I'd maybe do it

rekab

Reaction score
What if I have large amounts of scrap mahogany to use for a top or something?

Does HD or lowes sell said mahogany? If not I'd think it doesn't fit into the rules. The idea is to put everyone on a level playing field

Reaction score
Well if there is a price limit on things that really wouldnt work out too well in my favor :lol: but that's understandable.

Unless....I were to build a one piece mahogany bass with no wings and the neck is also the fretboard with the truss rod in the back of the neck...because logic...we should probably get a solid list of rules and guidelines and what not lol

Bucketheadtwo

ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD
Reaction score
What about hardware? Is that exempt from the cost? A bridge and tuners usually costs over $100 unless you like junk :lol:

tedtan

Reaction score
Does HD or lowes sell said mahogany? If not I'd think it doesn't fit into the rules. The idea is to put everyone on a level playing field

Probably not, but I do have a local hardware store that does.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
So none of the scrap wood I already have. What about pallets? Do they count. I imagine you can get them at home depot or just in dumpsters and shit.

Latest posts

')