SSO Home Depot Contest feeler

• Thread starter Customisbetter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I think the key is "in the spirit of the contest." IMO, lumber yards shouldn't really count. I have a killer local one and it wouldn't be fair.

However, personally, someone buying a trussrod doesn't break the spirit of the contest. If they build a 2x4 lumber guitar, it should count. Provided you spend less than a hundred dollars, I don't see the issue with spending a little cash on fretwire, etc. However, a DIY solution would look better.

Exceptions do apply. If someone made an ERG I can see the need to drop a little more cash on a pup. However, they TRIED to stay within the spirit of the contest. And that's what really counts.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
gosh, people are making this so much more complicated than it needs to be.

rekab

Reaction score
I guess the biggest reason we are making it 'so complicated' is it started as $100 and from Home Depot to which people immediately began asking "Can I use my non Home Depot/big box store lumber?", which should be an obvious no. This is why contests end up with extensive rules that cover everything including the obvious.
If we are just going on the honor system and trust that everything is likely from a big box store that's fine by me. On the other hand, if we are really going to do a true build contest Im all for specific guidelines that make it the most challenging.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's going to be a mix. I don't think there's anything wrong with honor system on price because it'll be pretty obvious if you overspent, but we'll have some specific enough rules that it'll keep this challenging.

To the guy with the maple and purpleheart planks, absolutely not, no way. Like has been outlined, this is about re-purposed, usually home-repair grade lumber. Re-using pallets or cutting down your own tree fit in the model of this contest, however.

Like was mentioned earlier, this thread is about getting the idea out there and brainstorming some guidelines. After we get some more feedback, there'll be an official headcount thread that will include the specifics.

If anybody's on the fence about doing this because they're afraid of what'll be included/excluded, feel free to post it in here and we'll figure it out.

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
I don't think it needs to be complicated. Basically say the rules as they are and if someone obviously goes against that then whoever is judging will take that into account. If the whole idea of the contest is to build is using $100 worth of stuff from Home Depot then in all honesty the guitar should pretty shoddy looking. But you can make shoddy look cool and creative. I'd personally rather someone make something really cool and simple out of some screws and hinges than someone who found a chunk of metal at HD and used their CNC to make a replica strandberg bridge (you get what I'm saying).

Make the rules clear and if someone doesn't want to "get it" and do what they please then fine, they won't win. I'm guessing there won't be any prestigious prize to win, it's just to see what someone can pull off.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make the rules clear and if someone doesn't want to "get it" and do what they please then fine, they won't win. I'm guessing there won't be any prestigious prize to win, it's just to see what someone can pull off.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Like mentioned earlier, we've done this once before and everyone seemed to follow the guidelines pretty well.

As a reference:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...org-home-depot-build-challenge-rules-faq.html

I don't think there was anything wrong with the old rules at all. If there are any places that could use improvement (CIB, Troy or any of the previous contestants can chime in), that's kinda what I'm looking to accomplish in this conversation; otherwise, we'll just default to the old rules.

The way things are now, I wouldn't count on a prize but we'll see. If we get enough interest, maybe something small like strings or some SSO stickers or something but as of yet, don't expect it.

Zedism

Reaction score
I'm absolutely down for this, what an awesome idea.

I'd prefer if there were no prize though, on that subject. Let's just keep a healthy "may the best man win" spirit of competition going and see what we can all throw together. I can't wait to salvage some door hinges and chop down some random old tree or find some scrap pallets. I also think that the less money is spent, out of a $100 maximum, the better. Personally my 100 will probably go towards a set of strings, shoddy tuners, some fret wire and the silliest, cheapest pickup I can possibly find. But now that I mention it I can see the "cheapest, best build" idea being very hazy unless we set some strict guidelines, as some people here would have some excellent connections/locale to gather materials and others may have nothing at all. I'm in rural Australia myself for example, so it wouldn't be hard for me to go chop some beautifully gnarled river red gum and not have to incur on my $100 limit, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of competition to just go to my backyard and find lumps of gorgeous wood lying around.

Postage costs not applicable in the total 100 though, but I think that goes without saying.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned. Like mentioned earlier, we've done this once before and everyone seemed to follow the guidelines pretty well.

As a reference:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...org-home-depot-build-challenge-rules-faq.html

I don't think there was anything wrong with the old rules at all. If there are any places that could use improvement (CIB, Troy or any of the previous contestants can chime in), that's kinda what I'm looking to accomplish in this conversation; otherwise, we'll just default to the old rules.

The way things are now, I wouldn't count on a prize but we'll see. If we get enough interest, maybe something small like strings or some SSO stickers or something but as of yet, don't expect it.

Holy crap Randy how did you find that@? Both Techno and I looked forever! :lol:

I liked the original rules and 6 months also seems reasonable. I built half of my guitar the night before the deadline in november so every second counts! :lol:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Depending on how much people do it, we could even have a $10-20 buy in, the winner gets the total buy ins. I'd definitely be down to throw in some money to offer a prize, that ways it's really not that much, for $100 6 month project. The prize would probably cover the $100 for materials.

rekab

Reaction score
Original rules look good to me
I really don't care about prizes but won't complain if any are offered
Not a fan of a buy in. I feel some folks who are strapped for cash will be put off by it and I want everyone to have fun and openly join in

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
So those....prizes. That still a thing? Because my incentive to participate just fucking skyrocketed :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
If the deadline is in November then I'm definitely down. I have some old hardware that I won't use on a full scale build so this would be the perfect opportunity to experiment.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So those....prizes. That still a thing? Because my incentive to participate just fucking skyrocketed :lol:

Definitely not. :lol:

The vendors/sponsors is usually a really unreliable subject. If I was considering doing this, I'd be doing it with the expectation that the prize is just the satisfaction of winning. As I said a little earlier, I might look into a small prize like stickers or strings or something to that effect but even that's a stretch considering the nature of how things are. If anything else happens on that front, it'll be after we move onto the 'headcount' stage.

')