SSO Home Depot Contest feeler

• Thread starter Customisbetter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Is there a gallery of the original guitars? Or should I just search around for the individual threads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Hmm... If I get in on this am I allowed to get help from folks that have done it before? I have a hammer, a screw driver, some torque wrenches and a power drill... Don't even have a saw :lol:

I guess I could borrow tools, though...?

Is there a gallery of the original guitars? Or should I just search around for the individual threads?

Member Built Thread 2.0?

One more thing... I have a drawer full of pups, pots and switches... I feel like I'd be falling into a gray area using them as some of the pickups alone are $100+ and you guys have no way of knowing if I just bought it. :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe make the prize a special kind of banner to flaunt around SSO? Or a title under their username?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think i started the last one we did here, and ultimately had no time to build one myself. I've actually got a few old pallets sitting in my shop and was thinking of doing a "scrap" build, so it might be fun to revive the whole Home Depot Build idea, more as a creative exercise than a "contest". I loved seeing some of the clever stuff coming out of the last series of builds.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Sorry ab stupid pup ?s. I just re-read the OP. I'm down if it gets going. Kinda wanna be ambitious and attempt a headless design.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
I'm broke, so budget won't be a problem. This seems like a really cool idea and a good way to give people a chance to start building without spending a ton of money. If we lack tools, are we allowed to use somebody else's?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm broke, so budget won't be a problem. This seems like a really cool idea and a good way to give people a chance to start building without spending a ton of money. If we lack tools, are we allowed to use somebody else's?

yes of course!

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
'Feeler' meaning "get a 'feel' as to what the interest level is of said topic".

If a "for sale" thread is a feeler, the person usually isn't hellbent on selling the item but if a lot of people come forward with interest or with money/items the person is interested in, they'll go through with a sale.

In the context of this thread, the 'feeler' is referring to whether or not we're going to initiate this contest. If everyone says "no, sounds stupid" then we don't do it. If enough people show interest, then we move onto the next step.

rekab

Reaction score
I second the idea of prize = special user title/banner assigned by a mod. That would be pretty cool
I'd like to add one last clarification question: does the body/etc have to be wood or can it be other random stuff like a shovel or alternate materials assuming its still available from HD and on budget?
I think this is a dumb question and the answer is yes, but clarity for all involved would be nice.

Gregori

Reaction score
So as long as it's bought at home depot, then any wood is fine?

I've bought curly maple at home depot before. They don't normally stock it, but sometimes it's there with the regular maple.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Was at my local home depot today and it has maple, oak, poplar, cedar, and pine boards. Across the street at the local big store competitor they have mahogany boards for $11 as well as what home depot offers.

After taking a browse through all the home depot hardware and deck hardware, i think there are a lot of options for homemade bridges and other hardware.

I am waiting in anticipation for this contest to happen!

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I second the idea of prize = special user title/banner assigned by a mod. That would be pretty cool
I'd like to add one last clarification question: does the body/etc have to be wood or can it be other random stuff like a shovel or alternate materials assuming its still available from HD and on budget?
I think this is a dumb question and the answer is yes, but clarity for all involved would be nice.

Surprise us!

Goddamn. Hahaha

Guys there aren't any rules! It's about creativity and documentation! Stop sharing ideas. Lol

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I'd say, I'd be interest in doing this! I kinda want to make a short scale guitar to tune to high A. For less than a hundred bucks, it'd be fun! Peeps, let's make this happen!

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I'm in. This will be my first "from scratch" build and I'm totally psyched.

')